Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First reaction when you tell ppl you support Charlton....

Comments

• Options
    Yeah me too, what do you think about signing fabregas?

• Options
    'Cheltenham?'
  • Options
    Cheltenham??
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Cheltenham??

Aussie bloke I worked with always thought I supported Cheltenham. If only.......
  • Options
    Mendonca?
  • Options
    "ohhh Charlton (sighs).. thats alright i guess (little laugh)"

"that curbishley fella"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "yeah but you watch the big teams on telly?"
  • Options
  • Options
    Great taste
  • Options
    'somebody has to support them I guess'
  • Options
    I have a Charlton mug at work.
    This ensures I never find someone else has nicked my mug leaving me unable to make a brew.
    'Nuf said.
  • Options
    How the conversation usually goes...

Me - I support Charlton
    Them - Chelsea?
    Me - No Charlton
    Them - Cheltenham
    Me - Char-LTON

Ohhhh... What League they in!!
  • Options
    Cheltenham is one of the most common ones. Usually from people that don't follow football and haven't heard of a place called Charlton, but know of Cheltenham from horse racing...
  • Options
    "So your the other supporter!!?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In Malaysia - "Oh, you don't support Manchester United?"
  • Options
    Ill be honest when I was 12 and had the football league 95 sticker album in my pre-London days, I thought Charlton was somewhere up north. For some reason Charlton doesnt sound very Laaandan to me...
  • Options
    Sounds like the conversation gets started with people that know nothing about football.

So many Charlton fans in Dartford for some reason.
  • Options
    Cant remember where in the Far East it was one year (Thailand or Indonesia) but never forget SkySportsNews showing the impact of Man Utd v Arsenal out there.

Was this restaurant with "fans" of both clubs hugging each other celebrating when either team scored... Was just a total WTF moment (i.e. Dont expect them to be at each others throats)
  • Options
    "Ah.....right"
  • Options
    People just feel sorry for me.
  • Options
    I find it easier these days to just say I don't follow football.......
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Normally - "I remember when you used to be in the Premier League, what happened" at which point either a) you respond by giving a lecture on the spiral nature of football and how one bad decision normally leads to another, which leads to another and before you know it you've developed a pathological hatred of Alan McCormack based on where he goes for dinner, or b) you just shrug and say "that's football".

If it's overseas then the above happens too, but first I seem to spend about two minutes showing them how to pronounce the name properly - particularly in northern Europe (Switzerland, Scandinavia) - there seems to be something about the first syllable of our name that northern Europeans find very hard to pronounce.

Sharlton?