Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First reaction when you tell ppl you support Charlton....

Comments

• Options
    Either...
    a) Cheltenham?
    b) Oh right, what league are they in now? (Even from fellow Championship team fans. Just weird)
    c) I'm so sorry to hear that
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

Normally - "I remember when you used to be in the Premier League, what happened" at which point either a) you respond by giving a lecture on the spiral nature of football and how one bad decision normally leads to another, which leads to another and before you know it you've developed a pathological hatred of Alan McCormack based on where he goes for dinner, or b) you just shrug and say "that's football".

If it's overseas then the above happens too, but first I seem to spend about two minutes showing them how to pronounce the name properly - particularly in northern Europe (Switzerland, Scandinavia) - there seems to be something about the first syllable of our name that northern Europeans find very hard to pronounce.

Sharlton?
    They then say "oh yes, they used to be in the premiership, but now they're chit.........
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

Normally - "I remember when you used to be in the Premier League, what happened" at which point either a) you respond by giving a lecture on the spiral nature of football and how one bad decision normally leads to another, which leads to another and before you know it you've developed a pathological hatred of Alan McCormack based on where he goes for dinner, or b) you just shrug and say "that's football".

If it's overseas then the above happens too, but first I seem to spend about two minutes showing them how to pronounce the name properly - particularly in northern Europe (Switzerland, Scandinavia) - there seems to be something about the first syllable of our name that northern Europeans find very hard to pronounce.

Sharlton?
    Normally the best I can get to is "Char-alton" - maybe it's just my accent !
  • Options
    Are you from Charlton then?
  • Options

I have a Charlton mug at work.
    This ensures I never find someone else has nicked my mug leaving me unable to make a brew.
    'Nuf said.

Same here! It works :)
  • Options
    "Oh! You're the one!"
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Blank look then ask what division we are in.

When I am in Brasil with my wife, she says Charlton they say Chelsea
  • Options
    Before Chris Powell: "Oh. What league are you in at the moment?" - this happened even when we were in the premier league.

The CP years: "You've got Chris Powell in charge haven't you? He's a top bloke. I've always had a spot for Charlton"

After Chris Powell: "Oh. What league are you in at the moment?" or from the more 'in the know': "I heard you guys are a feeder club for Standard Liege now?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Living in London most people support the bigger teams Chelsea/ Arsenal/ Tottenham etc, so when they finally take a breath about how fantastic their team is, they ask who I support pretend to care for about 30 seconds then go back to telling me about their teams. However a few months ago an elderly Jewish customer at work asked me who I supported, I assumed that he wouldnt of heard of them or not know much but how wrong I was he knew more about the club than I did.
  • Options

Cant remember where in the Far East it was one year (Thailand or Indonesia) but never forget SkySportsNews showing the impact of Man Utd v Arsenal out there.

Was this restaurant with "fans" of both clubs hugging each other celebrating when either team scored... Was just a total WTF moment (i.e. Dont expect them to be at each others throats)

The weirdest game I ever saw was a Malaysia XI v Manchester United. Something seemed strange during the game and then I worked it out. When the Malaysian team attacked (which was admittedly a rare event), the crowd cheered as expected, but when MU attacked the same people cheered. Usually, of course, you hear noise from certain parts of the ground, but not for this game when the crowd wanted both teams to score.
  • Options
    "Oh really, but you're good looking???"
  • Options
    Usually I get a sort of respect from people who know football, i.e. I'm obviously a real supporter. That respect sometimes has a hint of condescension... how sad that some people derive personal status from the team they claim to support!
  • Options
    When I was young

"Chelsea?"
  • Options
  • Options
    When I was on holiday in Cuba a few years ago, one of the locals asked me who I support:

Me: Charlton
    Him: Chelsea?
    Me: no, Charrllton
    Me: Charrllton Athletic
    Me: Yep, Chelsea.
  • Options
    "Oh you're the one"
  • Options
    Bobby Charlton?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike said:

'Cheltenham?'

bobmunro said:

Cheltenham??

This.
  • Options
    Any of the following:

'I used to go watch them when I was a kid'
    'What division are you in now'
    'Bet you wish you had never hounded Curbishley out'
    'Why'
  • Options
    While traveling across Canada on business (20 years) & when the subject came up, I'd get 2 questions: 1) Who??? ; 2) Why??? Lol.....I'd then show my Red card, provide a quick history and try to recruit the great uneducated, unwashed who only know of Man U or Chelsea.......
  • Options
  • Options

I have a Charlton mug at work.
    This ensures I never find someone else has nicked my mug leaving me unable to make a brew.
    'Nuf said.

I have 3 Millwall mugs at work...but they're alright most of the time.
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options

I have 3 Millwall mugs at work...but they're alright most of the time.
    LenGlover said:

Why?

You can't always choose who you work with Len. They were full of it this morning.
  • Options
    Respect from those who go to watch football anywhere outside the premiership. For the rest and especially those in the top half of the premiership...condescension which reinforces my arrogant inverted snobbery
  • Options
    It gets pretty annoying that 98% of people seem to support the top 4. Most pub/workplace conversations just revolve around what Van Gaal allegedly said this week or well-known transfer targets to Chelsea.

It's a shame as we have the most brilliant league system in this country.