Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First reaction when you tell ppl you support Charlton....

124»

Comments

• Options
    Oh o.k are they in the football league still?
  • Options

I was in a fancy hotel in Bangkok once and the bell boy who was taking my bags to the room asked about my football team. Obviously answering Charlton, I was expecting to spend 10mins explaining who etc.
    To my surprise he started going on about Bartlett, Fish, Rufus etc saying what a great team we used to have.
    I was pretty gobsmacked, the guy got a decent tip for knowing his stuff!

Impressed
  • Options
    Oh I know someone who supports them,
  • Options
    In Philadelphia one time. "Oh, your a real football supporter." Turned out he was a coach for The New York Red Bulls.
  • Options
    I always get the 'what league are they in now' question which I find so strange from supposed football fans. I also know not to talk too long so that the conversation can switch back to Chelsea. Oh and the other point I notice is that being a Charlton fan means that I know nothing about the Premiership and certainly my opinion counts for nothing re the Champions League. But these are proper fans as they always go to see Chelsea in the first round they enter of the CO Cup and the Liverpool fan saw them at Fulham the season before last.
  • Options
    Back in the early 90's I remember my section leader asking me when I was going to grow up and support a big team because I had asked for a day off to go to Notts County. Got the impression she felt I was supporting Charlton just be different.
  • Options

I was asked by a waiter and mad football fan in the Maldives what team I supported and when I told him his face dropped and he looked very sympathetic and slightly confused, as though I had admitted to contracting a rare sexually transmitted disease

"Didn't they used to be quite good?" he asked gently.
  • Options
    "Somebody has to" or "oh so you're the one"
  • Options
    Oh, 'Charlton nil?'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The usually ask why
  • Options
    As I currently work in Manchester, saying I support Charlton will either merit an interested 'Oh?' as it indicates that I am actually a proper football fan, or sometimes a derisory 'Ha, really?', typically from a glory hunter who hasn't been to see their team play for years.
  • Options
    "I've never actually met one of you"

Or alternatively

"I met one for you once, his name was tom do you know ow him?"
  • Options
    "what division are they in now ?"

that really annoys me ...normally from chelsea,spurs,arsenal fans
  • Options
    I know someone else who supports Charlton.
  • Options
    However they react, when they tell me who they support I ask 'do you go to matches?', that moves the conversation on in interesting ways.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

While traveling across Canada on business (20 years) & when the subject came up, I'd get 2 questions: 1) Who??? ; 2) Why??? Lol.....I'd then show my Red card, provide a quick history and try to recruit the great uneducated, unwashed who only know of Man U or Chelsea.......

What's Canada, is that one of the 50 states?
    I sure hope that you didn't waste any education money on History or Geography, my friend and I also hope you did not attend our Sponsor's esteemed facilities (I expect their standard is much higher than that :P) ?!?!?!?
    Often confused with our friends to the South when traveling in Europe, but I can assure you that our becoming a "State" was settled back in 1812 - 1814 (sorry, more history for you.....lol!!).
  • Options
    Normally 'what division are they in?'.

But was once pleasantly surprised in Sydney when I walked into a sports store looking at football shirts. 'Can I help you?' Said the bloke in the store. 'I don't think so, you wouldn't have my team's shirt.'
    'Who's that then?' He asked. 'Charlton Athletic' said I, expecting the usual puzzled look.
    'Oh yeah' he responded 'you guys should beat Fulham later on today' and we did I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If it's someone who actually goes to games it's usually pretty civil - even with Beagles and Spanners. For a few years after the prem days it was "What on earth has happened to them?" in most cases with an air of suprise TBH, closely followed by "When's Curbishley going to get another job?"

The armchair big 4 followers are the ones who usually irritate, plus anyone who uses the word "Brand" when talking about football. It ain't baked beans you know....
  • Options
    "Charlton? That's unusual for this side of the river"
  • Options
    Mostly get asked Who? or if not, then it's Why?
  • Options
    Also get the usual crap from work colleagues who support Manure, one guy who has never been to Old Trafford announced he was buying the new 3D TVs so he could watch football in 3D, I said if you buy a ticket and go to games its all in 3D already.

• Options
    cafctom said:

"Should never have got rid of Curbishley".

DON'T YOU THINK I F***ING KNOW THAT HAVING SPENT THE BEST PART OF 6 YEARS WATCHING US PLAY CARLISLE AND YEOVIL YOU CRETIN.

Thats very disrepectful to Yeovil and Carlisle, who are themselves fine football clubs.

That are loads smaller then us.
  • Options
    If I'm asked by a big chelsea/united supporter etc I usually don't just reply with ''Charlton'', but say dismissively ''My local team, Charlton'', in which they can never really reply with anything too snidey after that :)

• Options
    Whenever a friend of mine at work who supports Man Utd (genuine armchair fan) decides to bash Charlton after a loss I usually turn it back round on him saying that because I've been to Old Trafford more than him (he has never been) that makes me more of a Man Utd fan than he is and I don't even support them. He has yet to respond to that one yet. It should work on most armchair fans of any club.
  • Options
    Was once asked if I support a proper club as well... Love it when travelling with England, baffles them all, apart from in South Africa
  • Options
    lolwray said:

"what division are they in now ?"

that really annoys me ...normally from chelsea,spurs,arsenal fans

Who do not go to games