Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Colchester - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    A good nights work, when do we ever make light work of lower league clubs in the cup? Bikey's a beast and Gomez was superb. Impressed with the ground, the pitch looks great and the catering staff were clearly trying hard to improve service. Had to leave just before the 3rd goal though. If anyone on here are the couple in the west stand who offered my daughter raisin bites when she hurt herself - Thank you!
  • Options

Interesting quote from Bob in an interview in News-shopper-:

"The head coach added: “I thought first half we played some good football but not enough to create chances.

“Second half we said ‘OK we need to keep our composure and be more reliable on the ball’.

“But still I think there was a lot of garbage in our game and we need to do it a little bit better if you play against top teams in the Championship because they will punish you."

So we win 4-0 and still have 'garbage' in our game.......think this is going to be a very interesting season!!

Lol I think BP translated somethinf out of dutch a bit too literally, garbage has two meanings in dutch, the one applied to sports is often used to indicate too many misplaced passes or bad first touches.

He is a stern coach but inside the dressing room he can create a core of players that will battle for each other, he s learned from his mistakes and not forget that this is already his 4 th team as a manager.
  • Options
    Having said I would never attend a cup game again I made a great decision to go and really enjoyed the match.

The down side of the match experience - took two kids as only a quid. Apparently not though. A 100% increase after 5pm. Not a fortune, but left a nasty taste in the mouth.

Food looked good and smelt great and kidz wanted to try a 'bucket full of tails'. £4.50 for a bucket full of cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon. I got exactly seven.
  • Options
    Couldn't really have gone any better.

I thought everyone played pretty well; beyond a couple of bad decisions in the first half, Gomez looked great for his debut and Fox is going to be pushing Wiggins hard for that left back spot on the basis of the first two games......

Consistently happy for Wilson and the progress he's making. Hopefully he'll start there in the league now because he shouldn't be on the bench, and although I thought TBH did well on Saturday, Morrison should be an automatic starter too alongside the beast that is Andre Bikey. I think I read the other day that he's only 28-surely that can't be true?

Also well done Simon Church, it was only a tap in but strikers need to anticipate these things and I hope that gives him confidence to have a good season.

Gutted I've got a silly family holiday getting in the way of the two home games coming up....
  • Options
    So did Gomez sign a proper contract or will the Hammers be sniffing around at the end of the season?
  • Options

So did Gomez sign a proper contract or will the Hammers be sniffing around at the end of the season?

Joe signed a 2 year professional contract about 3 months ago.
  • Options
    The pies were nice.

• Options
    Did the two dickheads fighting after the game by the shops at the top of Floyd Road get nicked? Normally that area is heaving with police, but it seemed not last night...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    posting without reading :

Gomez - lived up to the hype, quality
    Bikey - a beast, gonna be a fan's favourite, had a great game
    Fox - decent game, Wiggins has real competition for his place
    Buyens - was more impressed than I was on Saturday, will become a major asset
    Cousins - tries too hard, passing very erratic
    Moussa - some nice touches, posed a threat, very short of match fitness
    Harriott - jury still out for me, flatters to deceive
    Tucudean - I like him, showed some nice touches, involved in two goals, maybe should have had a pen, think he'll come good
    Wilson - should be in the team, maybe in place of Solly even, too good for the bench

of the subs - Gudmondsson was very good, going to play a bit part this season

The Valley - very pleasing and pitch great BUT the West Stand bogs were a disgrace. Far from having a makeover I hoped for they looked like they hadn't even been cleaned from last season. Boo.
  • Options
    Wasnt there last night but reading off the comments am glad to see Wilson did well (Won my vote for Player of the Season)... Certainly gives Bob Peeters a lovely selection headache with what looks like a very strong Midfield this season (Opposition fans beware as with the squad depth its gonna be difficult to predict who starts)

Either way back to Wilson reckon he'll still play a huge part of the season as cant see Solly playing every Saturday match which is equally a shame because Wilson and Solly have always linked extremely well together, should Wilson have to make do with a place on the bench then either way... What an option available for Peeters to bring on should we need to chase a match at all, as thats been one of our biggest issues over recent years: The ability to bring on players who will make a big difference should we be behind
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Wasnt there last night but reading off the comments am glad to see Wilson did well (Won my vote for Player of the Season)... Certainly gives Bob Peeters a lovely selection headache with what looks like a very strong Midfield this season (Opposition fans beware as with the squad depth its gonna be difficult to predict who starts)

Either way back to Wilson reckon he'll still play a huge part of the season as cant see Solly playing every Saturday match which is equally a shame because Wilson and Solly have always linked extremely well together, should Wilson have to make do with a place on the bench then either way... What an option available for Peeters to bring on should we need to chase a match at all, as thats been one of our biggest issues over recent years: The ability to bring on players who will make a big difference should we be behind

Not wishing to big up 17 year old Joe Gomez too much but he looked very comfortable at full back. Taller than Solly, quick, good in the tackle and assured on the ball, so Wilson is no longer as much a shoe in for Solly on last nights performance by Gomez which must delight BP that he now has other options if he fancies Wilson RM from the start if Solly is injured
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The first half was poor. We created a few chances but nothing worth reporting on. I thought a red card was very harsh on them, as it didn't look deliberate. I think a penalty and a yellow would have been sufficient. Having said that, Buyens' penalty was excellent and it was pretty much over as a contest from that point.

We played with a lot more freedom in the second half and dominated the game, as you'd expect playing at home against a lower league side with ten men. I am excited by the look of this squad though and the back five looked solid all night, although Gomez did get off to a bit of a shaky start. Vetokele and Gunmarsson look they could be real game changers in The Championship - something we've not had since Andy Reid.

Even Simon Church looked sharp last night and it was good to see him get a deserved goal, which shut a few people up. I know we don't rate him as a player, but you can't fault his effort and he doesn't deserve some of the abuse he gets.

Highlights - Buyens looks like a quality signing and I can't see us missing Poyet. Cousins started to run the game in the second half and I can see Jackson struggling get in the team on a regular basis if those two develop that partnership. Fox looked very comfortable as well and with Gomez, Solly and Wiggins have genuine competition.

Note to Big Bob - Moussa is not a centre forward and Wilson should play on the right.

Roll on Saturday!
  • Options

posting without reading :

Gomez - lived up to the hype, quality
    Bikey - a beast, gonna be a fan's favourite, had a great game
    Fox - decent game, Wiggins has real competition for his place
    Buyens - was more impressed than I was on Saturday, will become a major asset
    Cousins - tries too hard, passing very erratic
    Moussa - some nice touches, posed a threat, very short of match fitness
    Harriott - jury still out for me, flatters to deceive
    Tucudean - I like him, showed some nice touches, involved in two goals, maybe should have had a pen, think he'll come good
    Wilson - should be in the team, maybe in place of Solly even, too good for the bench

of the subs - Gudmondsson was very good, going to play a bit part this season

The Valley - very pleasing and pitch great BUT the West Stand bogs were a disgrace. Far from having a makeover I hoped for they looked like they hadn't even been cleaned from last season. Boo.

Wooooah there Large. If Solly is fit, he plays. Wilson should play RM.
  • Options

Enjoyable game, played some nice passing stuff. The Toucan has a lot of convincing to do, doesn't seem to use his size and isn't strong in the air - hopefully he adapts. Gomez looks mustard, Wilson is the kind of player we want at our club. Honest, hard working and a top bloke. Moose will take time to get up to speed, but he is a good squad addition. Bikey, I can't understand ALL the praise. Yes, he's a unit, but I'm not sure who has told him he is Xabi Alonso, trying to spray balls all over the pitch. The constant moaning and shouting at Fox/Morrison didn't look great either.

Obvious points about the stadium, pitch/surrounding looks incredible. I think Roland's best move however, was employing the pair of absolute sorts outside the ground to dish out the fixture lists. Great move, I've been on the fence for a while, but now....Roland IN

Not so for me, it's part of his passion, for example Morrison was slipping into the old Charlton habits, going back and putting the defensive line askew and was rightly shouted at... Liked the discipline of the back four, moving up as an unit thanks to the Beast...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Good to be back at The Valley and good to be one of those teams that wins comfortably against a team from a lower division in a cup game. That's two seasons in a row now that we've won 4-0 in the league cup, makes a change.

Henderson wasn't really tested, thought it would have been a good game to give Pope a chance.

From what I've seen of Gomez I thought he'd do well and he did. Showed his pace and composure on the ball. Wilson is surely competing for the RM spot now, and with Solly's knee Gomez should get a few games at RB.

Bikey won't get outmuscled very often, doubt we've had many players as strong as him for a while. Morrison did well enough and will be hoping to take TBHs place. Fox continued from last season, not the quickest or most exciting going forward but solid with a decent left foot.

Cousins misplaced a few too many passes but he'll know he can do better than that. Had a decent game other than that. It'll be interesting to see Buyens in a few more league games. Harriott still looks good at times and frustrates at others.

Up front with Tucudean and Moussa we didn't have out and out goalscorer, both could play off the main striker, can't see them starting together up front very often. Tucudean is more Todorov than Yann, signs of a decent link player there, but not the quickest and I expect Bob will want a bit more energy and work rate from him. Hopefully he just needs some time to settle in.

Need to see more of Moussa, not sure what his best position will be.

Fair play to Church on getting the goal, a tap in but he was there to finish it off. With another striker likely to come in he will struggle to make the bench.

Based on last night and watching the Brentford game online, Gudmundsson looks the closest we have to a Reid/Jensen playmaker type. With Wilson's goals I guess he might start on the left on Saturday. Early to say whether he'll be that sort of player, but it's something we lacked with the midfield we started the game with.

Vetokele wasn't involved a great deal, looking forward to seeing him up against stronger sides in the next few games.

Overall we generally passed the ball on the floor and kept possession well, but I expected more from Colchester (though 10 men really didn't help them). Good to see despite the result that Bob still wants better. Knowing what we're like in cup games I wouldn't have expected much more than what we saw last night. The game looked won once we went 1-0 up and the second goal secured it.

@queensland_addick we played 4-4-2 with Harriott on the left.

Henderson

Gomez Morrison Bikey Fox

Wilson Buyens Cousins Harriott

Tucudean Moussa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Enjoyable game, played some nice passing stuff. The Toucan has a lot of convincing to do, doesn't seem to use his size and isn't strong in the air - hopefully he adapts. Gomez looks mustard, Wilson is the kind of player we want at our club. Honest, hard working and a top bloke. Moose will take time to get up to speed, but he is a good squad addition. Bikey, I can't understand ALL the praise. Yes, he's a unit, but I'm not sure who has told him he is Xabi Alonso, trying to spray balls all over the pitch. The constant moaning and shouting at Fox/Morrison didn't look great either.

Obvious points about the stadium, pitch/surrounding looks incredible. I think Roland's best move however, was employing the pair of absolute sorts outside the ground to dish out the fixture lists. Great move, I've been on the fence for a while, but now....Roland IN

He was spraying balls around, but then again he looked capable enough of doing it, so why not?

Lets not forget that Bikey has more Premier League experience than the rest of last night's team put together. The guy knows what he is doing.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

The big plus was the way we tired to play football from the back ... Some of our passing was excellent stuff the 3rd goal already up there for goal if the season a great team effort ...
    Plus points Buyons looked so composed , Bikey no ones get past him ...George T excellent so unlucky not to get a pen or a goal last night , Gomaz need to tie him down , Gudmansson looked a class player
    All in all very exciting ... It's not going to go our way every week but as long as we try to keep playing football the
    We wi win a lot of fans over

Thanks Colin.
  • Options
    Thought the Valley looked brilliant last night, once they sort out the seats in the upper West the old girl will look back to her best.
  • Options
    I enjoyed that! How often in the past have we struggled against lower league oppo.
    Bob obviously likes playing a high tempo game (yay) which is perfect for a player like Buyens, who likes to receive a lot of the ball and move the game along. I can see why the Belgian guys said he was popular. Good pen too. (move over JJ).
    Hopefully no more hoofball or monotonous passing along the back line in our own half until we give the ball away
    Tucudean is an interesting player - not really a target man nor blessed with great pace - likes to come deep to receive the ball and move it with a flick or pass. Sometimes was playing deeper than Moussa. Touch lets him down a bit, but could become a good foil for Vetekole.
    Agree with whoever said Cousins was trying too hard, but he looks like he has the potential and ability to nail one of the CM slots.
    Gomez is going to be some player.
    Didn't think we looked too convincing on the flanks when they had 11 men - it seemed every time Fox passed to Harriott he ended up passing back again rather than take them on.
    Once they went down to 10 men they were there for the taking and we did that with style - Wilson making great use of the extra space.
    Moussa looked seriously rusty so jury still out for me.
    Still think we need the additional striker and winger and to be honest maybe another CM to back up Buyens, Cousins and Jackson - then perhaps we can look up the table instead of down.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention Bikey who was immense. Rare for us to have a player who actually intimidates the oppo.
    Also, minor point but Buyens give the midfield a bit of height! Too often in the past the oppo have just bulldozed their way through our midfield midgets.
    Gudmundson has got some skill about him and added a bit of quality to CM - given that the oppo was pretty non-existent by then, save for Bean's arsey antics
  • Options
    Guess Michael Morrison was the Captain last night by the way?
  • Options
    See what you're saying about Bikey, obviously these are my initial thoughts based on 180mins and will most probably change.

Not doubting him as a player at all, I think he's a good addition, but first half at Brentford I personally thought be looked a liability with that passing from the back. A lot of the passes were over hit, or scuffed about 3 feet off the ground back into their midfielders.

The shouting can be construed as passion, I guess as long as the players realise this then it's no problem. He just seemed like he could be a moaner...as I say, first impressions.
  • Options

See what you're saying about Bikey, obviously these are my initial thoughts based on 180mins and will most probably change.

Not doubting him as a player at all, I think he's a good addition, but first half at Brentford I personally thought be looked a liability with that passing from the back. A lot of the passes were over hit, or scuffed about 3 feet off the ground back into their midfielders.

The shouting can be construed as passion, I guess as long as the players realise this then it's no problem. He just seemed like he could be a moaner...as I say, first impressions.

Oh he is definitely a moaner. There are some classic clips of him on YouTube where he really loses his rag. That obviously comes with its drawbacks from time to time, but it will do us more good than harm in his case I think.