Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Colchester - Post match views

Comments

• Options

Guess Michael Morrison was the Captain last night by the way?

Yeah, he was.
  • Options
    Who did the tunnel jump?
  • Options
    WSA said:

Who did the tunnel jump?

Two-goals Wilson
  • Options
    We had to call an ambulance to take a friend to Casualty so missed the game :-( I'm really liking the cut of Peeters jib at the moment. We are looking forward to Saturday with more enthusiasm now.
  • Options
    So is it too soon to be talking about the playoffs?
  • Options

So is it too soon to be talking about the playoffs?

imo no it's not

• Options
    I wasn't going to until we have a few games under our belt but Bikey brought it up and I'm not going to argue with him! It all depends on how the team gels and whether we land the two targets already identified. To be in the play offs we need to secure four or six points against each and every bottom half team.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Vunderbar!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I thought Wilson was outstanding last night, he linked pretty well with Gomez who I saw for the first time. He is definitely going to be some player.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I did notice their fitness coach lose his rag just before the second half when the col u players came out to do their warm ups and not doing it properly. Something obviously kicked off during the break as the fitness coach had to send someone own the tunnel to sort something out. The warm up by them was a complete joke and the y looked like keystone cops!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

The sending off/penalty slaughtered Colchester. Nevertheless, we played an intelligent passing game with plenty of width which meant Colchester were chasing around like mad. As they got tired we let the ball do the work and got our overlaps going. Wilson's finishing was excellent.

For all his presence and leadership, I did spot Bikey switch off in the first half (for which Morrison got a quick bollocking from Bob!) and Fox got the wrong side of the ball once or twice. But overall, this was an easy night for the defenders and the full-backs were able to spend a lot of time getting forward. Bikey's one header from a cross went miles!!!

I liked Buyens in centre-midfield and there was one especially good nicking back of the ball in the first half. He looks to keep things ticking and sees a pass. Alongside him, Jordan Cousins played well and was fully involved. I like the way he doesn't let a bad pass effect him...great attitude.

The introduction of Gudmonsson came at just the right time when plenty of space had opened up and he passed intelligently (apart from the one that went about 30 feet over the dug-out!). His shooting was good but he was under no real pressure because Colchester were gone. Credit to him though for sensing the opportunity and getting the strikes on target. He looks a good player and has some strength about him.

I saw something quite rare in the first half....Buyens dropped back and split his own centre-backs as they pushed out wide with both full-backs right up into the opposition half. He ended up being the last man. It was like a momentary swap to 3-4-3 and I've seen Hamburg do this quite a bit.

Harriot was always willing although sometimes a bit too eager and his touch deserted him at times. A goal will do him a power of good.

Up front, I liked Tucudean. I see a bit of Paul Hayes about him and he was denied by a superb block on the line by the Col U defender. He needs games and a goal.

Vetokele didn't really feature but did look to play on the shoulder and definitely has pace.

Church learnt from the first goalie spillage and was in like a shot for his goal from the second spillage. He also made a good run in behind the defence and was found by Fox's brilliant ball curled round the full-back.

Bob was verbal but not overly so. He praised and bollocked in equal measure. I noticed he whistled at Henderson in the first half for being too slow in possession.

PS: Strange verbal altercation between the Col U Manager and his Fitness Coach? at half time. All very odd...as was the bundle in Charlton Church Lane after the game. Looked like two young Charlton fans rolling around in the street.

It's quite common in the Prem. Everton did it all last season and Chelsea have started doing it as well. Encourages the team to have options when passing out from the back and it's a good sign that we're doing it
  • Options
    Bob had a go at Morrison who replied " he fucking left me" referring to Bikey.
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights on CAFCPlayer. Looks like Church raises his finger to his lips after he scores and it was aimed at the Charlton fans behind the goal. Can anyone verify this? He has obviously been reading too much CL. Maybe it's time we gave the guy some slack!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just watched the 11 minutes of highlights on CAFC Player, great finishes from Wilson, has to start Saturday.

Tucudean looked class from those highlights, seemed to be in a link up way involved with most the attacks, nice pass for the shot that caused the penalty.

Get another goalscorer in for when Igor is not firing at 100% & i think we look solid upfront.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just seen the highlights on CAFCPlayer. Looks like Church raises his finger to his lips after he scores and it was aimed at the Charlton fans behind the goal. Can anyone verify this? He has obviously been reading too much CL. Maybe it's time we gave the guy some slack!

I saw that too - after watching it twice, I do believe he puts his thumb in his mouth for a newborn baby maybe? but he too raises his index finger, it is hard to tell
  • Options
    Definite shhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    Good on him. He showed his shots can reach the net from 4 yards. That shut us up.
  • Options
    Bikey was superb: a compact, fierce bull of a man, waving his arms in dispute with the lino - and, the next second, in like Flynn across the box to make a crucial interception. This was Cousins' best game for us: accelerating through midfield, and spreading long accurate passes left and right. Wilson got forward and cut inside - with lethal results.

This is the stuff. A season or two ago we struggled and lost games like this: Orient after extra time, we all remember. We now have a potent mix of experienced pros - look at Bikey's positional sense, knowing exactly how to defuse Colchester's attacking triangles - a revived midfield, and strikers sniffing the scent of the onion-bag.

There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't play that way in every single game: with strength, confidence, accuracy and speed - and merciless finishing. If we can sustain the intensity of Tuesday night, the play-offs beckon.
  • Options

Indeed a lot to like. Of the newcomers, Igor has that spring in his step that reminds me of the young Shaun Newton, and maybe also something of Paul Williams. Electric !! And as for Bikey, he has the rock-hard Terminator-like relentlessness of The Roof combined with the physicality of Sam Sodje, except that Bikey has a footballer's brain inside his head unlike old Sam who has a head full of broken glass. Buyens - much more to come from him once they all settle down and get used to each other. Johnny 7 - class. Gomez - if allowed, will fit in as quickly and effortlessly as Billy Bonds and Bob Curtis - instant veterans all.

And the boss ? Frequent agitated signs, frustration, annoyance. Clearly knows what he wants, what he expects and what he has to say when he doesn't get it.

A very pleasant night. This team is on the march, and every chance should be taken to see them as they flourish. A message to all still a bit reluctant to come along - you'll regret it if you don't. Not often we can say that, is it ??!!
  • Options
    The Church celebration was a bit dodgy to direct at your own fans. I'd love it if he starts scoring regularly but when Fox sent him through and he nearly struggled to get a corner after shooting because of his lack of power I think it opitimized his game a a bit. Someone mentioned at the game how this time last year we were all singing his praise. Hopefully he'll start scoring more in the new team but honestly I can't see it, hope he proves me wrong
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

The Church celebration was a bit dodgy to direct at your own fans.

Agree. Glad he scored, but one 3-yard tap-in against a 10-man team from the league below is hardly reason to start giving it the 'shhhh'.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

DeeBee said:

Agree. Glad he scored, but one 3-yard tap-in against a 10-man team from the league below is hardly reason to start giving it the 'shhhh'.
    You have to be there to score those, he picked up on the fact that the keeper was spilling the ball on driven shots so did well to follow it in.

• Options

Bikey was superb: a compact, fierce bull of a man, waving his arms in dispute with the lino - and, the next second, in like Flynn across the box to make a crucial interception. This was Cousins' best game for us: accelerating through midfield, and spreading long accurate passes left and right. Wilson got forward and cut inside - with lethal results.

This is the stuff. A season or two ago we struggled and lost games like this: Orient after extra time, we all remember. We now have a potent mix of experienced pros - look at Bikey's positional sense, knowing exactly how to defuse Colchester's attacking triangles - a revived midfield, and strikers sniffing the scent of the onion-bag.

There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't play that way in every single game: with strength, confidence, accuracy and speed - and merciless finishing. If we can sustain the intensity of Tuesday night, the play-offs beckon.

Hold up, positivity from VF!

In regards to your last sentence though, the opposition isn't going to be made up of 10 League One players every week. The intensity should always remain but i think we need to still be aware its going to be a tough league.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Chunes said:

DeeBee said:

You have to be there to score those, he picked up on the fact that the keeper was spilling the ball on driven shots so did well to follow it in.

Yep. Agree. But still, hardly a 'shhhh' moment.