Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Right or wrong: a question about "parent and child" car parking spaces

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

@Dazzler21 Hello - any particular reason you flagged the original post?

Never mind
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

@Dazzler21 Hello - any particular reason you flagged the original post?

Never mind
    You flagged me ten times today. Anything troubling you?
  • Options
    Dazzler's got an itchy flag finger, I wouldn't read too much into it ;-)
  • Options

I thought he might be trying to tell me something
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I thought he might be trying to tell me something
    I think he's trying to tell the Mods something :-0
  • Options
    The rules are for the spaces are parent and at least 1 child under 12. This is ridiculous and unnecessary, why would an 11 year old child just starting secondary school need to have an extra large space and to be close to store?

The spaces are a good idea but the rules are all wrong it should be at least one child under the age of 4. The large space is for extra room for buggies and for strapping into car seats (this is a nightmare when people inconveniently park too close). As far as being near to the store goes, I think it was so young children aren't running across the car park, this I don't agree with though parents that walk to the store manage their children so people who drive should do too. Those with young children with special needs can apply for a blue badge and use disabled bays if they have a specific need to be close to the entrance.
  • Options

The rules are for the spaces are parent and at least 1 child under 12

Where does it say that? I have honestly never seen an age-limit.

• Options
    The way parents look after their kids at the sainsburys near me they need to be near the store. The kids have as little disregard for road safety as the parents.
  • Options
    Oh boy, you can most certainly tell who of the people on this thread have ever had to load toddlers, babies, buggies groceries and beer into a smallish car in a narrow supermarket space.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Sainsburys have it on the parking sign, also the security guard at asda told an arguing group of angry parents in the car park that a child upto 12 qualifies. If you look hard enough you'll see it written somewhere.
  • Options
    I've lost count of the number of times I've seen cars parked in these spaces with the only kids being healthy 12 & 13 year olds jumping out.
  • Options
    A lot of the normal spaces wouldn't be too bad getting a baby or toddler out of the car seat if some people actually parked properly to start with
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You usually only find these spaces outside supermarkets and shopping centres. They're not there for the convenience of the parent but for the convenience of the shops, i.e. the shops want to make it as easy as possible for parents of young children to get in and out of their cars and into their shops so they can spend their money. I imagine to the parent of young children, popping into Tesco on the school run would be a nightmareish scenario if you had to squeeze into a tiny space 100 metres away from the shop and unload 3 kids from their child seats plus a buggy (i.e. enough of a deterrent so you'd avoid visiting the shops with all your kids at busy times), rather than a big space with lots of clearance for doors and buggies and right next to the front door so you didn't have to worry about kids running into the paths of cars.

They're basically like fun houses/soft play areas at pubs/restaurants - they make parents' lives easier but without them their life would just be slightly more inconvenient. Also if you're a childless adult using one, you're probably going to get a funny look and maybe a bollocking.

Unlike disabled spaces there's no law stopping you from using them and a store is unlikely to ban you from using them if you don't have a kid unless you're a serial repeat offender. You could always say you're picking up the wife and baby who have been shopping if some have-a-go hero decides to confront you about it. Alternatively you could park further away and burn off an extra 10 calories.
  • Options
    I used one whilst on my own at Asda a few weeks ago. As I got out my car, a woman approached me and started having a right go, saying if I didn't have a child with me I shouldn't park there just for convenience and she would promptly go back into the store to report me.

What make the whole scenario so laughable was it was about 11pm and the whole car park was almost empty. I just laughed at her and locked my car.................
  • Options
    Haha this forum makes me crease up. Half of this honking is not even ironic

Chill down smudge, once the team start dropping points and leaking goals the whingeing will refocus onto our heroes in red. Fucks up the ying and yang of the forum when we are winning
  • Options
    They expect the adults to be taller than the kids, not long now AFKA.
  • Options
    Heard an interesting study on the cost of free parking, by freakonomics. The guy on there made a great case for scrapping all placard parking (disabled etc.) and forcing companies to charge for parking. Michigan ended up with a two tier disabled scheme (proper disabled had to be doctor assessed, those with existing disabled badges could use supermarket spaces, but not on street ones. 95% of disabled badge holders!didn't bother applying for the "proper" disabled badges. They also found 20 odd UCLA football team members held them. Suspect there would be a lot of the same here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As one of the deliberately childless I have only ever seen them as a ploy by the supermarkets to pull in people who potentially spend more money. I didn't see any real reason why those that have chosen to knock out a sprog should have any advantage over me.

Having read this thread I can see why you might want more space for taking in and out a car seat, so I am prepared to accept that wider spaces are fair. I don't see why they should be any nearer to a shop as lordromford says.

The spaces should be exclusively for those with car seats though, once little 'un is able to get out of the car on his/her own, off you go and take your chances with the rest of us.

While on the subject of kids in supermarkets, why - despite the warnings of the potential dangers - do some parents insist in letting their offspring stand up in shopping trollies? Okay, if they don't give a monkeys about little Tarquin's safety because its easier to go along with his request than explain why he cannot do something for once that's fine. But what if he has trodden in dog s**t before standing in there, and I get the trolly next?

Agree no car seat -no space
  • Options

Chizz said:

Sainsburys have it on the parking sign, also the security guard at asda told an arguing group of angry parents in the car park that a child upto 12 qualifies. If you look hard enough you'll see it written somewhere.
    I'm sure they will carry ID for their child to prove their age.
  • Options

I used one whilst on my own at Asda a few weeks ago. As I got out my car, a woman approached me and started having a right go, saying if I didn't have a child with me I shouldn't park there just for convenience and she would promptly go back into the store to report me.

What make the whole scenario so laughable was it was about 11pm and the whole car park was almost empty. I just laughed at her and locked my car.................

If the car park was empty you could just have been less of a prick and not parked somewhere you weren't supposed to.
  • Options

get smaller buggies

That's got nothing to do with getting a child out of the car, buggies go in the boot.

• Options

get smaller buggies

That's got nothing to do with getting a child out of the car, buggies go in the boot.

You just don't get it!
  • Options
    It's almost like you didn't decide to park on someone else's private land.
  • Options

get smaller buggies

You just don't get it!
    What am I not getting?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

what gets me, is having a child is a lifestyle choice, yet the parents expect the taxpaying public to educate the little feckers as well.

If you can't be bothered educating your own children, dont have them.

Err...what?

• Options

get smaller buggies

You just don't get it!
    What am I not getting?

Hair growing on your head?