Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Right or wrong: a question about "parent and child" car parking spaces

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

Blue badges are great. They clearly indicate who is allowed to benefit from badge-holder status and make it easy to be sure who is taking their rightful place and who is "breaking the rules".

No they don't - they show that at some time a legitimate Blue Badge Holder will use that vehicle - it doesn’t mean they are the one using it at that time.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Also if a disabled driver can't park too far away does than mean that if there are no spaces right outside the venue, they go home and/or shop somewhere else?

I ask because the description above suggests that it is not about convenience but an inability to walk far enough.

Yes they do go else where, they don't have a choice.

I don't go in asdas near me and only go in morrisons, why? Because asda there is never a parent and child space or a disabled bay. I refuse to carry a getting very heavy 5 year old kicking, punching and screaming half a mile to the shop just because I need some groceries.
    Interesting you should mention Asda because on Kings Hill they have the disabled spaces at the front yet the parent/child spaces are in a separate car park that is not closer to the shop but has a walking route that avoids the rest of the shoppers and their cars and makes it easier and safer for them.

I was merely playing devils advocate in asking if the child/parent spaces are free to be used by disabled people if all their spaces are taken up because being a bit of a stickler for the rules I don't think that child/parent spaces are for anyone other than parents with children. If the shop (and I'm sure they do) have allocated the required number of spaces for disabled shoppers then they are, in my view, allowed to dictate that child/parent spaces are for parents with children (small children only if that is their choice).

If we are going to make it ok for disabled shoppers to park in parent/child spaces then it begs the question where is the line drawn. Are disabled cinema goes allowed to sit in the premium seats without paying the upgrade? Are they allowed to take a First Class seat on a train or an aeroplane if it is closer to the door than the seat they paid for? Are they allowed to park on a private drive with a blue badge? Are they allowed to park in such a way that it blocks someone in? Are they allowed to park in the zones marked off outside schools for the very purpose of increasing safety for young children crossing the road? Are they allowed to park across Ambulance or Fire Engine access routes? Are they allowed to park in the space at a hospital where Ambulances drop off critically ill patients?

I know I'm being excessively ridiculous now but the line has to be drawn somewhere and I don't see why it shouldn't be that child/parent spaces are not for disabled people unless they have children. Next we will be looking to justify why John Terry can't park in a disabled bay if there are lots of them and none of them are being used.

Either these bays are reserved or they are not. Otherwise it becomes a free for all and I would like to think that we are (as a society) better than that!
    A blue badge holder can park WHEREVER they want unless there is a legal restriction (e.g. causing an obstruction, red lines, 3 hours max on yellow lines).

As a P&C space is not a restricted space, a blue badge holder can park there if they want. Even if a disabled space is available, a blue badge holder can park in a P&C space (for example, the closest P&C space could be closer than the closest disabled bay). The store legally cannot ask a blue badge holder to move their car - only a police officer can legally request a blue badge holder to move a car (or a traffic warden on a public highway or a public car park). As P&C spaces are larger and generally closer to the store than regular spaces, these make them ideal for the disabled (who are genuinely impaired, as opposed to parents who are only mildly inconvenienced by comparison in bringing a child to a shop).

I'm also going to address your other questions:

"Are disabled cinema goes allowed to sit in the premium seats without paying the upgrade?"
    No, although cinemas are required by law to have accessible seating for the mobility impaired.

"Are they allowed to take a First Class seat on a train or an aeroplane if it is closer to the door than the seat they paid for?"
    No, although airlines can and will designate certain seats in both economy and first-class to disabled passengers as they are easily accessible and do not block an emergency exit. Disabled people are also usually asked to board the plane before other passengers.

"Are they allowed to park on a private drive with a blue badge? Are they allowed to park in such a way that it blocks someone in? Are they allowed to park in the zones marked off outside schools for the very purpose of increasing safety for young children crossing the road? Are they allowed to park across Ambulance or Fire Engine access routes? Are they allowed to park in the space at a hospital where Ambulances drop off critically ill patients?"
    No, a blue badge does not entitle a holder to park in any of these areas and their car could be moved at the request of a police officer or the local authority, depending on the situation. They could also receive a fine for parking in a restricted zone. Legal guidelines also dictate that vehicles displaying a blue badge should not be clamp and should only be towed in emergency situations.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Also if a disabled driver can't park too far away does than mean that if there are no spaces right outside the venue, they go home and/or shop somewhere else?

I ask because the description above suggests that it is not about convenience but an inability to walk far enough.

I don't go in asdas near me and only go in morrisons, why? Because asda there is never a parent and child space or a disabled bay. I refuse to carry a getting very heavy 5 year old kicking, punching and screaming half a mile to the shop just because I need some groceries.
    Interesting you should mention Asda because on Kings Hill they have the disabled spaces at the front yet the parent/child spaces are in a separate car park that is not closer to the shop but has a walking route that avoids the rest of the shoppers and their cars and makes it easier and safer for them.

I was merely playing devils advocate in asking if the child/parent spaces are free to be used by disabled people if all their spaces are taken up because being a bit of a stickler for the rules I don't think that child/parent spaces are for anyone other than parents with children. If the shop (and I'm sure they do) have allocated the required number of spaces for disabled shoppers then they are, in my view, allowed to dictate that child/parent spaces are for parents with children (small children only if that is their choice).

If we are going to make it ok for disabled shoppers to park in parent/child spaces then it begs the question where is the line drawn. Are disabled cinema goes allowed to sit in the premium seats without paying the upgrade? Are they allowed to take a First Class seat on a train or an aeroplane if it is closer to the door than the seat they paid for? Are they allowed to park on a private drive with a blue badge? Are they allowed to park in such a way that it blocks someone in? Are they allowed to park in the zones marked off outside schools for the very purpose of increasing safety for young children crossing the road? Are they allowed to park across Ambulance or Fire Engine access routes? Are they allowed to park in the space at a hospital where Ambulances drop off critically ill patients?

I know I'm being excessively ridiculous now but the line has to be drawn somewhere and I don't see why it shouldn't be that child/parent spaces are not for disabled people unless they have children. Next we will be looking to justify why John Terry can't park in a disabled bay if there are lots of them and none of them are being used.

Either these bays are reserved or they are not. Otherwise it becomes a free for all and I would like to think that we are (as a society) better than that!
    I'm going to spell this out slowly for you in the hopes you might get it and stop perpetuating idiocy regarding the disabled:

A blue badge holder can park WHEREVER they want unless there is a legal restriction (e.g. causing an obstruction, red lines, 3 hours max on yellow lines).

As a P&C space is not a restricted space, a blue badge holder can park there if they want. Even if a disabled space is available, a blue badge holder can park in a P&C space (for example, the closest P&C space could be closer than the closest disabled bay). The store legally cannot ask a blue badge holder to move their car - only a police officer can legally request a blue badge holder to move a car (or a traffic warden on a public highway or a public car park). As P&C spaces are larger and generally closer to the store than regular spaces, these make them ideal for the disabled (who are genuinely impaired, as opposed to parents who are only mildly inconvenienced by comparison in bringing a child to a shop).

I'm also going to address your other questions because you are in dire need of education of the needs and rights of disabled people:

"Are disabled cinema goes allowed to sit in the premium seats without paying the upgrade?"
    No, although cinemas are required by law to have accessible seating for the mobility impaired.

"Are they allowed to take a First Class seat on a train or an aeroplane if it is closer to the door than the seat they paid for?"
    No, although airlines can and will designate certain seats in both economy and first-class to disabled passengers as they are easily accessible and do not block an emergency exit. Disabled people are also usually asked to board the plane before other passengers.

"Are they allowed to park on a private drive with a blue badge? Are they allowed to park in such a way that it blocks someone in? Are they allowed to park in the zones marked off outside schools for the very purpose of increasing safety for young children crossing the road? Are they allowed to park across Ambulance or Fire Engine access routes? Are they allowed to park in the space at a hospital where Ambulances drop off critically ill patients?"
    No, a blue badge does not entitle a holder to park in any of these areas and their car could be moved at the request of a police officer or the local authority, depending on the situation. They could also receive a fine for parking in a restricted zone. Legal guidelines also dictate that vehicles displaying a blue badge should not be clamp and should only be towed in emergency situations.

I am rather concerned at the level of anti-disabled sentiment in this thread. I hope none of you go to the Valley or do you think those people in wheelchairs in front of the stand are getting special treatment? There's a club down the road for the especially ignorant, their ground is shaped like a toolbox in case you can't find it.
    You were doing quite well until you slipped the Millwall stereotype comment in.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I've removed the more abrasive parts of my above post as I don't want it to detract from the overall message that disabled people shouldn't be demonised in the way some people are in this thread. Also I've been flagged by someone who thinks defending disabled people is wrong. (@CAFC_Norfolk)
  • Options
    kevtherev said:

I have a blue badge and people often park in disabled spaces who have no badge or disabilities. So them I will park in parent and child spaces first because the spaces are close to the shop and don't want my car dinged

Kev, that is perfectly fine. Disabled badge holders are entitled to park in Parent & Child spaces if no Disabled spaces are available so you are doing nothing wrong.

We have a Disabled Blue Badge, rather the mother in law does, and when she is with us we will use the Disabled bays but I wouldn't even dream of using it if she wasn't with us. Also, despite my earlier post, I'd never use a Parent & Child space despite my opposition to them. People who are not disabled and park in disabled bays should be shot.

• Options

kevtherev said:

I have a blue badge and people often park in disabled spaces who have no badge or disabilities. So them I will park in parent and child spaces first because the spaces are close to the shop and don't want my car dinged

Kev, that is perfectly fine. Disabled badge holders are entitled to park in Parent & Child spaces if no Disabled spaces are available so you are doing nothing wrong.

But not because "I don't want my car dinged" as stated earlier
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I have discovered a petition to Parliament that people should apply for a badge to display to park in Parent & Child space as you do with a Blue Badge. Seems a cracking idea.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Chizz said:

Blue badges are great. They clearly indicate who is allowed to benefit from badge-holder status and make it easy to be sure who is taking their rightful place and who is "breaking the rules".

So, the same should apply for people with children in their cars. There should be a sticker (like "Child on Board"), which entitles the driver to park in P&C spaces. But, when using that sticker, the driver should be limited to a maximum speed of 20mph.

How exactly are Tesco, Morrisons etc going to enforce a speed limit on public roads?

It should be left to the police.

• Options

kevtherev said:

People who are not disabled and park in disabled bays should be shot.

In the kneecaps presumably? Then they'll qualify for a blue badge......
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I'm going to spell this out slowly for you in the hopes you might get it and stop perpetuating idiocy regarding the disabled:

I'm also going to address your other questions because you are in dire need of education of the needs and rights of disabled people:

I am rather concerned at the level of anti-disabled sentiment in this thread. I hope none of you go to the Valley or do you think those people in wheelchairs in front of the stand are getting special treatment? There's a club down the road for the especially ignorant, their ground is shaped like a toolbox in case you can't find it.
    You, obviously, missed the whole point of my post. I didn't want answers to those questions. I made it clear that they were rhetorical.

I'm offended that you used my post to suggest that I am prejudiced against disabled people. I have, personally, qualified for a disabled badge and I have spent over a year in a wheel chair.

Your comments about abusing disabled fans at a Charlton game are out of order, and suggesting that I should be at Millwall is both insulting to me and, almost certainly, libelous to their club and its fans!

Now, with that out of the way can you tell me (and this is not rhetorical) if a business owns their own car park and they designate spaces to be reserved does that mean that a blue badge owner is allowed to ignore those designations and park where ever they like? You see the question about a private drive might just be relevant here. If Asda (or whomever) decide that a specific space (on their land) is reserved, let's say for their First Aider, are they not entitled to expect people to respect their property?

I'm all for giving people the help (and protection) they need, be they disabled, old, young or just temporarily unwell, but I don't believe that, as a matter of course, if the space you have been allocated is gone you can take a space allocated to someone else. Now if Asda (or whomever) make it clear that all P&C spaces can be used by disabled people without children then that's fine, but if they make a commercial decision to restrict the use of their property (parking space) to a specific group, or person (even their branch Manager) then I think they have a right to expect the public to adhere to their rules. If people don't like it they can contact the shop and question their policies, they can contact the authorities to complain or they can shop elsewhere.

I have nothing against disabled people, but I do like to see rules followed, and I believe that applies to everyone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fiiish said:

Words
    Apologies if I offended you, unfortunately the way your post read you sounded like you were having a massive go at the disabled, which personally makes my blood boil due to having had members of my family having to use a wheelchair and the disgusting attitude some people have been displaying in this thread that they're freeloaders and don't deserve blue badges. The reason I missed the point of your post is because at no point in the post did you make clear that you weren't having a go at the disabled.

In regards to your question, there is a legal difference between a driveway, which is privately owned land for personal use, and a Tesco car park, which is privately owned land for business use. Businesses have a legal requirement to make their premises accessible to their disabled, therefore it is unlikely that any business could legally ban a blue badge holder from parking in a P&C space or indeed any space in the customer car park as this would breach accessibility requirements.

Blue badge holders are not entitled to park anywhere that could cause an obstruction or needs to be clear in case of an emergency, such as spaces designed for first aiders or ambulances or police cars to pull up at the front of the store. P&C spaces are not legally protected nor would parking in a P&C space obstruct access. I don't want to create a hierarchy but a disabled person's requirement to be parked close to a store and in a space large enough to allow them to board and alight their vehicle safely will always trump making it slightly more convenient and safe for a parent to visit the shops.

The fact is the rules are being followed, as the rule is a blue badge holder can park in any parking space he or she desires. Not only is that the reality, it's also the law. I also can't imagine any business would want to risk the bad press that would likely follow them banning a disabled person from parking in a P&C space.
  • Options
    Thanks Fiiish. I didn't realise that the rules allowed blue badge holders to park in alternative designated spaces. The impression I got from the poster that parks in P&C when the disabled bays are full was that he did t because he wanted to, not because he was allowed to.
  • Options
    Picking up where this left off - if a business offers disabled parking bays are they for people using that business or for anyone displaying a blue badge?

Saw a big BMW park up in a very busy pub car park on Saturday and the driver sling a blue badge on the dash to then get out of the car and walk up the road to the shops.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Picking up where this left off - if a business offers disabled parking bays are they for people using that business or for anyone displaying a blue badge?

Saw a big BMW park up in a very busy pub car park on Saturday and the driver sling a blue badge on the dash to then get out of the car and walk up the road to the shops.

probably anyone, just going by what the council told me when I asked about having a disabled bay outside the house so we can blooming park when its busy, they said they can give us one but it wont be exclusive, anyone with a blue badge can use the space and it may make things worse for us as people who park on our road with a blue badge my park there when they never used to, we decided against the idea.
  • Options

PL54 said:

probably anyone, just going by what the council told me when I asked about having a disabled bay outside the house so we can blooming park when its busy, they said they can give us one but it wont be exclusive, anyone with a blue badge can use the space and it may make things worse for us as people who park on our road with a blue badge my park there when they never used to, we decided against the idea.
    That's slightly different though isn't it? You're talking about a public highway, PL54 was talking about a private car park. I suspect, from what has been said above that the pub can't restrict their own car park spaces, but it isn't the same as having a section of the public highway designated as disabled only parking.

What I would say is that if local businesses are forced to offer their disabled spaces to non-customers there would be an incentive for them to not have any, which kind of defeats the object in my view.

Another question though, which just occurs to me now, is that are disabled badge holders allowed to park in pub car parks that are designated for customers only if they are not disabled spaces, and they are not going to go into the pub?