Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope Dilema

Comments

• Options
    Nobody's mentioned some of the pass-backs which helped Derby pressurise him. Bikey and TBH in particular.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Nick actually made his debut as second half sub for David Button on 4th May 2013 in the 4-1 home win v Brissle City. Nitpicking aside he didn't follow the basics all keepers are taught as a kid, make sure you get your knee behind the ball when you go down to gather it :-0 A salutary reminder of the basics for him last night but it didn't affect the final outcome so no better time to make a cock up. He'll be ok I'm sure he's experienced the highs of getting us over the line against Wigan and earning the nickname (see what I did there) Terminator and lows of last night which will make him refocus more than ever.
  • Options
    Mistakes happen. As i said in my review its how he responds that will make or break him. Personally i'd give him a run while Henderson is out. Its a mistake any keeper could have made and he will learn from it. Other than that and his weak attempts at trying to play the ball out with his feet he was pretty solid with his claiming of crosses and i think a run in the team would do him the world of good. Certainly not going to discredit the guy on one error.
  • Options
    Saw Bob give him a big hug on the pitch at the end of the game.

Don't think he should get a blank cheque because he is young (if 22 is young) or came from the Academy (bought from Bury Town actually) but neither should we write him off just yet.

he made a huge error but Igor missed some good chances.
  • Options
    He's a step up from flappy bird that's for sure
    Think I would have drop him for weekend game but play him in all our cup games to build his confidence
  • Options
    Pope got far more back passes from the CBs in the Derby game than the Goalie had received in the three previous games combined as I couldn't remember Henderson getting this many under pressure?!

Think his tall height meant he wasn't able to get his knee onto the ground in time as from the video it looked as if his knee was behind, but guess the ball got there first...

Was impressed with his positioning and catches, he made it look comfortable, the sign of great goalies, ie Pat Jennings...

So I feel Pope should play at Hudds!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Nobody's mentioned some of the pass-backs which helped Derby pressurise him. Bikey and TBH in particular.

Possession is all important in the modern game and he's got to deal with that I'm afraid it's no good opting out of passing to him if the tactics are to play it across the back 5. Ok you could argue that he is losing possession by just kicking it into touch but as I say he's got to learn to deal with it not hide from it and practice makes perfect.
  • Options
    no dilemma here. If Henderson is fit then Big Bob has a choice to make. If he isn't then Pope plays. How are the 'young guns' going to learn by not playing? He made a mistake, it won't be his last. All keepers make mistakes. He'll learn from it. It wasn't ultimately fatal so I doubt it will shake him that much. If we'd drawn or lost I'm sure the effect on him would be entirely different. Our 3m/4m striker made more errors but seems to have escaped major criticism.

On a side note good to hear the Cupboard End singing Nicky Pope Pope Pope but can't we have a song encouraging us all to 'Do The Popey Cokey'.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah sign a new keeper after he has made 1 mistake I'm sure that would do his confidence the world of good.

Stick with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not sure he's ready for Championship football on last nights display. He was a bag of nerves and it nearly cost us big time.
    Play him saturday ( if Hendersons not fit ) and see how he goes from there. Should be less mental pressure on him away at Huddersfield.
  • Options
    It's a thousand to one chance that ball went in, a freak accident, looked.to me like his body shape and everything was right, literally a freak mistake, move on peeps
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Absolutely have to stick with him if Henderson isn't fit. If the coaching team believe in him then one mistake last night shouldn't change that. Worst thing we could do is hang him out to dry. In my opinion with keepers it's if they follow up a mistake with another shaky performance/mistake then questions have to be asked. Not dropped to the bench after one error though.

I don't think it's a hard choice for Bob if Henderson's fit though. He was brought in as our number 1, Pope has filled in, not exactly made himself undroppable, so if Henderson's ready he should go straight back in.
  • Options
    One of the things that is most wrong with our game in England is the win at all costs/lump it anywhere mentality. I am certain that is why England teams fail.

One of the most refreshing transformations of the English malaise was the job that Tigana did at Fulham. Long ball lump it anywhere was banned at they passed the ball out of defence.

When I hear Big Bob saying that he won't hesitate to play Pope if required in the next game tells me that at last we have a manager who is about developing players for the good of the club and not a win at all costs mentality. Pressing the chicken switch and bringing in a keeper for a few games is completely the wrong move IMHO. Showing faith in players even though they make mistakes because you want them to have confidence to play with the heads up not skulking around in fear is why this club is much further forward than a year ago. It's not just the players brought in, it is a whole ethos that has changed. It takes more than just a few technically competent players to play the way we played yesterday. It's a mindset. We attacked at 3-1 and should have scored a 4th. Last season we would have defended even at 2-1.

So Big Bob will show faith in Pope I am certain, assuming Henderson is not fit.
  • Options
    He made one significant mistake which ultimately didn't cost us at all. No question for me that we should stick by him.
  • Options

He made one significant mistake which ultimately didn't cost us at all. No question for me that we should stick by him.

Definitely. One mistake, so what? we still won.
    BP will be using his owns methods, one of which is to bloood yoof, so, Popey to play on Sat, no loan keeper required thank you.
  • Options
    made a couple of good saves, kicking was a mixed bag but we had been spoilt with Hamer's excellent distribution. Keep him in the team!
  • Options
    If the coaching staff believe he's good enough , and will improve , then stick with him , David De Gea had a nightmare 1st season in the Premiership , now United fans wouldn't want to swap him.
  • Options

One of the things that is most wrong with our game in England is the win at all costs/lump it anywhere mentality. I am certain that is why England teams fail.

One of the most refreshing transformations of the English malaise was the job that Tigana did at Fulham. Long ball lump it anywhere was banned at they passed the ball out of defence.

When I hear Big Bob saying that he won't hesitate to play Pope if required in the next game tells me that at last we have a manager who is about developing players for the good of the club and not a win at all costs mentality. Pressing the chicken switch and bringing in a keeper for a few games is completely the wrong move IMHO. Showing faith in players even though they make mistakes because you want them to have confidence to play with the heads up not skulking around in fear is why this club is much further forward than a year ago. It's not just the players brought in, it is a whole ethos that has changed. It takes more than just a few technically competent players to play the way we played yesterday. It's a mindset. We attacked at 3-1 and should have scored a 4th. Last season we would have defended even at 2-1.

So Big Bob will show faith in Pope I am certain, assuming Henderson is not fit.

Agree with this. If Henderson is not fit, play with the Terminator.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought he did quite well over all and didn't strike me as being as nervous as some have suggested. Of course he can't be mollycoddled and has to justify his place but I'd stick with him unless he appears to be shattered by it. Thankfully it wasn't ultimately too costly so hopefully he can put it behind him straight away. If he plays them the two away games will provide a good chance to assess his mental strength.
  • Options
    There's no specific coach for GK's ?
  • Options
    Good to see Peeters will be sticking with him.

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140820-pope-backed-by-peeters-1846297.aspx

Bing makes some good points. If we're going to bring through more young players we have to accept sometimes they'll make mistakes and won't always be consistent.
  • Options
    skywalker said:

Ben Roberts
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Nick actually made his debut as second half sub for David Button on 4th May 2013 in the 4-1 home win v Brissle City. Nitpicking aside he didn't follow the basics all keepers are taught as a kid, make sure you get your knee behind the ball when you go down to gather it :-0 A salutary reminder of the basics for him last night but it didn't affect the final outcome so no better time to make a cock up. He'll be ok I'm sure he's experienced the highs of getting us over the line against Wigan and earning the nickname (see what I did there) Terminator and lows of last night which will make him refocus more than ever.

They dont teach the knee behind anymore. Tts not a scoop save whereby they get their whole body behind the ball.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

skywalker said:

Ben Roberts
    Watching first half from Uppet West with Henderson
  • Options

Except we'd be top today if it stayed 3-1..........................just saying...........;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If he weren't part of the academy people would be writing him off, based on that performance, it was poor.

Glad they aren't though (wish we'd allow more people a few games at least before judging) and think he'll come good in the end.
  • Options

If he weren't part of the academy people would be writing him off, based on that performance, it was poor.

Glad they aren't though (wish we'd allow more people a few games at least before judging) and think he'll come good in the end.

He didn't come through our academy.
  • Options

He didn't come through our academy.
    Signed at 18 for a position that usually reaches their prime at about 28ish, so feels similar.