Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope Dilema

Comments

• Options
    Chelsea vs Schalke in the 2007 champions league - chelsea score when the 21 - year old Schalke goalie allows a shot to squirm through both his hands and his legs. That goalie was Manuel Neuer.

These things happen in that line of work, so hopefully Pope won't get written off straight away.

Kenny, Almunia and Kuszczak are all experienced pros, but none of them particularly inspire confidence when the chips are down, the club is better off spending to strengthen other areas of the team
  • Options
    I've just accidentally quit Microsoft Excel having done an hour's work. I am very annoyed myself for making such a stupid mistake. I think I will have to sack myself if Pope should be dropped after one mistake.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Chelsea vs Schalke in the 2007 champions league - chelsea score when the 21 - year old Schalke goalie allows a shot to squirm through both his hands and his legs. That goalie was Manuel Neuer.

These things happen in that line of work, so hopefully Pope won't get written off straight away.

Kenny, Almunia and Kuszczak are all experienced pros, but none of them particularly inspire confidence when the chips are down, the club is better off spending to strengthen other areas of the team

That's a really strong point about Neuer. The only way to ensure that Pope never makes the grade or has the confidence to be successful is to go out and replace him after one error.

• Options
    'Confidence can ruin a keeper's career,I hope Nick can recover from last night.'

Jesus wept,one clanger and now his whole future is in doubt...

When he came on v Wigan,he came and collected everything in the air - something for all his bravura,Hamer was reluctant to do - and even more impressively,took out two Wigan strikers in one fell swoop.

Talk of getting in a 'more experienced keeper' in until Henderson recovers is bordering on the neurotic.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    If the coaching staff rate him I'm all behind him, but its not like he has some great track history with us and has now made a mistake (like with the Neuer comparison), that was his first start and he gave away a goal. It's understandable to be a bit worried by it. I agree it would probably worse to get someone else in now though.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Nick actually made his debut as second half sub for David Button on 4th May 2013 in the 4-1 home win v Brissle City. Nitpicking aside he didn't follow the basics all keepers are taught as a kid, make sure you get your knee behind the ball when you go down to gather it :-0 A salutary reminder of the basics for him last night but it didn't affect the final outcome so no better time to make a cock up. He'll be ok I'm sure he's experienced the highs of getting us over the line against Wigan and earning the nickname (see what I did there) Terminator and lows of last night which will make him refocus more than ever.

They dont teach the knee behind anymore. Tts not a scoop save whereby they get their whole body behind the ball.
    On last nights evidence every good reason to reintroduce tried and tested methods then :-)
  • Options

He made one significant mistake which ultimately didn't cost us at all. No question for me that we should stick by him.

He made one significant mistake which ultimately didn't cost us at all. No question for me that we should stick by him.

Definitely. One mistake, so what? we still won.
    BP will be using his owns methods, one of which is to bloood yoof, so, Popey to play on Sat, no loan keeper required thank you.
    You wont be saying that if its 0-0 with 5 minutes to go on Saturday and he lets one through his legs!

Needs another season on loan IMHO
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

BP will be using his owns methods, one of which is to bloood yoof, so, Popey to play on Sat, no loan keeper required thank you.
    You wont be saying that if its 0-0 with 5 minutes to go on Saturday and he lets one through his legs!

If Pope lets another one through his legs this season I'll pay £10 to the Upbeats if you agree to do the same if he doesn't.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Inexperienced goalkeepers don't have a monopoly on making mistakes. How about Casillas against Holland in the world cup?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good OP. Sums it up nicely.

Think Pope will turn into a good keeper but just wondering what Ben Hamer or Rob Elliot are doing on Saturday and whether they fancy a month back in the capital?

Hamer will be sitting on a bench for few weeks before he is allowed to play. This will be slightly before he makes a total pigs ear of the game and they realise how terrible he is!

Hamer used to make three, or four mistakes when he had a bad game!

Really good for Popes confidence to drop him first time he makes a mistake and bring in the man who wrote the book on goalkeeping errors!

• Options
    Getting another keeper in would completely undermine Nick Pope and represents, in my view, a bigger risk than him making another error which costs us on Saturday. That would make no sense, especially as Henderson is expected to be back soon - the OS says that he (Henderson) is under treatment and has not yet been ruled out of Saturday's game, although I imagine he'll be out a little longer.
  • Options
    Maybe he should watch this to make him realise it could be a lot worse..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRn0CHjiirA
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Goalkeeper is THE most important position in the team .. we are on a good run and can't afford to have a 'dodgy keeper' in the side no matter how nice a chap he is .. if Henderson is going to be away for any length of time there is a need to get in a keeper NOW .. Paddy Kenny, dust off your gloves and get down to SE7 tout de suite .. the marks awarded to Pope show that the fans in the know who go do not have a lot of faith (if any) in Pope .. this uncertainty will be picked up by the other players as well as Pope and will detract from overall performances .... not good
  • Options

Goalkeeper is THE most important position in the team .. we are on a good run and can't afford to have a 'dodgy keeper' in the side no matter how nice a chap he is .. if Henderson is going to be away for any length of time there is a need to get in a keeper NOW .. Paddy Kenny, dust off your gloves and get down to SE7 tout de suite .. the marks awarded to Pope show that the fans in the know who go do not have a lot of faith (if any) in Pope .. this uncertainty will be picked up by the other players as well as Pope and will detract from overall performances .... not good

You talk like we're gonna win the league. A good start doesn't mean it'll continue all season. It's a work in progress and there will be mistakes and defeats along the way. Personally, I'm just enjoying the performances more than the results. After years of watching Charlton (mainly playing dull, negative football), I find the entertainment on show more important than the result. Maybe that's just me though...................
  • Options
    edited August 2014

You talk like we're gonna win the league. A good start doesn't mean it'll continue all season. It's a work in progress and there will be mistakes and defeats along the way. Personally, I'm just enjoying the performances more than the results. After years of watching Charlton (mainly playing dull, negative football), I find the entertainment on show more important than the result. Maybe that's just me though...................

'Work in progress'? .. this is football, an instant results business, not the CrossRail Link .. why can't we win the league this year? .. the overall results so far suggest that even more so than last/previous Championship season(s), any team can beat any other outfit on any given day .. and ..
    I was at Rotherham last night watching the Watford game .. I was surprised, to say the least, that a few Yorkies, whose opinions I respect, REALLY fancy us to win the title or get promoted this year, the Millers are not looking forward to our visit at all, this in the context of the probable result, not the standard of football the Addicks have produced so far, or so I am led to believe
  • Options
    I thought I read somewhere the pope was going to retire within 3 years time as he doesn't think he's got that much longer on this mortal coil.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Don't underestimate the importance of Pope's determination and ability to come for every high ball (and he will drop one or two). Several yesterday and vs Wigan were balls that SH either wouldn't have contested or got, meaning the ball is still in the mix or coming off the head of a forward. He is cutting down the number of chances the back four have to deal with and saves he doesn't have to make.
  • Options

So he's now a "dodgy keeper" because he made one mistake? What about the mistakes outfield players made when we've conceded? Should those players also be dropped?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It depends on how he reacts in training. If he shows confidence and that the mistake hasn't got in his head then play him, if he is a bag of nerves and has, using a golfing term, has the yips then take him out the firing line.

Managers call and I have faith in him
  • Options
    Wasn't impressed by Pope last night - his kicking was poor and he didn't look confident dealing with backpasses. I know he did well at York but my concern is his confidence will be shot with a couple more bad performances.
    Think we need a more experienced keeper.
  • Options
    The kids big moment and he throws one in, absolute howler. Emergency loan please Bob, no room for any ' He's one of our own nonsense'
  • Options
    Some absolute nonsense in this thread. He's a good goalie, let's stick with him until Henderson is back from injury and assess who is the better option then.
  • Options
    Give him one more game at least, did well on Saturday, and a little nervy even before the boo-boo last night but good at coming for the ball and when he gets a kick right, he REALLY gets it right.
  • Options
    I am sure if BP did not think Pope was ready he would get someone in on loan, he would not risk losing
  • Options

The kids big moment and he throws one in, absolute howler. Emergency loan please Bob, no room for any ' He's one of our own nonsense'

Has nothing to do with "one of our own". It's about the ethos of confidence based around mistakes happening and not being hamstrung by them.

I remember Jonjo Shelvey making two howlers last season in the first half of a game. The manager could have taken him off and perhaps he would not have played again that season - his confidence shot to pieces. He stayed on and scored in the second half.

I am glad that in Big Bob, we have a manager who wants to build players confidence not destroy it. Dropping Pope will send the wrong message to the rest of the team. It will say that Bob is fearful of players making mistakes. Safety first is what we had under SCP. Sadly that way leads to hoof ball, swapping defenders for attackers when you are ahead with 20 minutes to go, and low development progression.

Big Bob played Gomez against a favourite for promotion yesterday. Who thought he would do that? Who thought he would play Wilson at RB? If you believe your players are good enough you back them mistakes or no mistakes.

• Options

Pope's confidence was a bit knocked last night, but keepers will make mistakes, Joe Hart drops the odd clanger, we all remember Schmeichel taking out Kim Grant in 1994! It's about how you react, I'm sure Ben Roberts will be working closely with him today to build him up again.

Schmeichel taking out Kim Grant a mistake? I don't think so!
  • Options

Nobody's mentioned some of the pass-backs which helped Derby pressurise him. Bikey and TBH in particular.

Fair point.