Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope Dilema

124»

Comments

• Options
    It shows what a good signing Henderson could turn out to be after all. I feel for NP, he makes one (rather large) mistake and it costs us a goal, If any of our other young/new players make a mistake it doesn't normally come to much, probably a few moans and groans from the stands. I personally think if we had drawn or even lost after his mistake it could of really affected him, the fact we still won I think will massively help him forget his clanger!
    Just imagine the abuse the poor lad would have got had we not won. Obviously if Henderson is fit he should play, if not NP should definitely start, he (hopefully) wont make that mistake again! The same with his kicking, he must have been full of nerves, I think he needs a good half a dozen games for us before anyone gets on his back.

Like others have said BP would not have played him if he and his team did not think he was up to it.

In Bob I trust.......................By the way, WHAT A START!!!..................Some of the best football I have seen at the valley for a long time without doubt!

COYR........................

• Options
    L
    waldo said:

Nobody's mentioned some of the pass-backs which helped Derby pressurise him. Bikey and TBH in particular.

Fair point.
    Absolutely. Some of the back passes put him in all sorts of trouble. Every keeper, even the very best, have made howlers. This one didn't cost us any points, so let's hope he and the fans can forget about it.
  • Options
    I would say in defence of the, erm, defence, they were making passes more experienced keepers would have been onto quicker and moved on before a striker got close enough to hassle them. Which is not a criticism of Pope as he hasn't come up against as good a team as Derby before and it's a heck of a learning curve.
  • Options
    There were certainly one or two back passes which experienced keepers wouldn't have appreciated. I'm always frustrated the defenders pass it back 20 yards for a keeper to lump forward when they are perfectly able to do that themselves. As though they were protecting their passing stats on Opta...

I would back Pope if Hendo is unfit... He looked pretty assured v Wigan and did ok in the first half yesterday I thought.
  • Options
    Derby worked out that he was nervous and that his kicking was a relative weak point of his. So they eventually pressed our centre backs in order that they would pass it back to Pope a little hurried and he would have to kick.

They will also have known that under Peeters the GK is expected to look to play it short...or risk a bollocking from Bob. Therefore Pope was nervy about not playing it to one of the back four or Buyens.

He seems to me to have a strong attitude and will accept he mucked up. The best thing is for him to play each game that Henderson is out for.
  • Options
    If Hendo back on Sat, then we really must give Pope the Derby LC game. Get him back on the horse and all that...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Got a feeling he's gonna have a great game on Saturday, keep a clean sheet and prove all the doubters wrong..................
  • Options

Got a feeling he's gonna have a great game on Saturday, keep a clean sheet and prove all the doubters wrong..................

Good prediction

• Options
    A good 70 minutes yesterday, let's hope that's boosted his confidence.

Was bailed out a bit at the beginning by the ref and TBH though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whoscored.com team of the week includes POPE at GK

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/England-Championship
  • Options
    Blackburn conceded two more than our squad of strangers in 4 games but their CH gets in front of Bikey. Unbelievable Jeff!!!
  • Options
    addick16 said:

Simon Church is our best passer of the ball according to those stats.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

addick16 said:

Simon Church is our best passer of the ball according to those stats.
    It's an easy mistake to make, but those passes were shots. #spongefoot.