Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield Town vs Charlton Ath | Sat 23rd August 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

If someone said to me four months ago that come August, we would have beaten the likes of Derby and Wigan in our opening fixtures, I would have laughed in their face.

But, the reality is that Bob Peeters has masterminded a fantastic start for his Addicks side. Seven points from three games is a terrific start and confidence will certainly be flowing in the Charlton dressing room.

However, we mustn’t get too carried away, especially when facing a potentially difficult trip to Huddersfield on Saturday.

The Opposition

Huddersfield are currently managerless following Mark Robins’ departure the day after a 4-0 home defeat to Bournemouth on the opening day of the season.

It has been strongly linked that a certain Chris Powell may take charge of the Terriers in time for this weekend's match, although, the bookies say ex-Dutch international Patrick Kluivert is also in the running.

Alternatively, Huddersfield may decide to give the job to caretaker boss Mark Lillis after he guided the Terriers to a fantastic 2-1 away victory against Reading in midweek.

Huddersfield have brought in a couple of decent players in the summer transfer window, with the likes of Radoslaw Majewski (loan), Conor Coady and Jacob Butterfield arriving from Nottingham Forest, Liverpool and Middlesbrough respectively, and all three could play a part against Charlton on Saturday.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Huddersfield:

The Terriers’ player to watch this weekend is their striker Nahki Wells. The 24-year-old hasn’t scored in the league as yet for Huddersfield, but did score a hat-trick in Town’s 5-3 victory over Chesterfield in the Capital One Cup last week. He is a fast and tricky striker who will score goals if he is given the opportunity.

If you aren’t aware of his ability, take a look at this video from his days at Bradford:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yM3ac1thCg

Charlton:

The Addicks’ player to watch this weekend is Yoni Buyens. The Belgian loanee has been really impressive since his summer switch from Standard Liege and could play a big part if Charlton want to beat Huddersfield this weekend. His efforts in the centre of midfield haven’t gone unnoticed nor has his ability to score from the penalty spot.

I managed to find a clip of a goal he scored in Belgium, take a look at his run into the box as well as his clever finish (goal 2):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX_IJsdE4tM

The Line –Up

It’s difficult to say what Bob Peeters will decide to do on Saturday in terms of formation after two good cameos from Franck Moussa in the last two games.

However, after his instinctive finish on Tuesday night to open the scoring, George Tucudean is likely (if fit) to start alongside Igor Vetokele upfront.

In goal, despite his mistake against Derby, Nick Pope will continue but only if Stephen Henderson isn’t quite fit enough to start this weekend.

In defence, Chris Solly should return at right-back, although Joe Gomez will certainly be in Bob Peeters’ mind after his impressive league debut in midweek.

Ben Haim, Bikey and Wiggins are likely to remain as the other defenders.

In midfield, Gudmundsson, Jackson, Buyens and Cousins should start but the likes of Wilson and Harriott will be pushing for starting spots.

The Prediction

It’s a tough one to call. I can see us getting something at Huddersfield, but only a point.

1-1.

Or maybe a 7-6 victory?

Comments

• Options
    Hope we win 2-0 and Powell isn't put in charge until the day after.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    First time I'm predicting a league win this season so we all know we will take a point maximum.

1-0 or 2-1 with a Jacko winner in the last 20 mins.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Interesting situation we're in now. If we had 0 points till now I'd be nevous knowing this is a game we have to take points from to stay up. Now even though we've had one good result and two great results I'm still nervous we could lose despite this being the weakest side of the 5 we play/have played this month.

Going for a win again. 3-0 Charlton. Safe travels to anyone going.
  • Options
    We are on a roll, albeit it may be flattering us a little.
    Confidence and momentum are powerful allies - 2-0 to the Addicks.
    Back down to earth next Tuesday in a 1-4 revenge rout at Derby
  • Options
    I'd take a draw and be happy ... a win and I think I might start getting far too over excited!!

• Options
    1-0 addicks............match thread from 2 pm
  • Options
    A confidence induced Addicks put in a show of fight and determination and let their firepower do the talking. 1.3 to Charlton with Igor adding another to his early season tally.
  • Options
    down to earth with a bump, 1-0 loss
  • Options
    0-1 vetokele with the goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-2 to the Addicks, Jackson and Bikey
  • Options
    The team deserve a decent away following , the away following deserves a decent result ....
    Unfortunately neither will get what they deserve and it twas ever thus being a Charlton fan

2-1 to the Udder side
  • Options
    1-1. Bikey header from a corner.
  • Options
    1-1 Gudmundsson
  • Options
    This is an interesting one. Could be a similar sort of game to the Brentford one. Wigan and Derby didn't press as much and were more a footballing side than Brentford and Hudders. Im hoping we control possession and have no doubt come on from the Brentford game.

Im going for a 2-0 Addicks win and first clean sheet in the league.
  • Options
    Why have Forest let them have Radoslaw Majewski?! Whenever I've seen him he's looked like a cracking player, thought he was destined to step up rather than down.

No idea what the score will be, just hope they hold off appointing Lord Chris until after the game.
  • Options
    Wells' pace could cause our centre-backs a few issues but I think we should be able to create chances if we play like we did on Tuesday so 2-1 to us
  • Options
    I really can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    2-1 to The Addicks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After our great start i can't help but think we will have our bubble burst a little, either with a narrow loss or poor game draw but.......................i always prefer to be an optimist so 2-1 to the Mighty Addicks, Vetokele & Jackson with the goals.
  • Options
    1-3 to BP's Red and too much White Army.
  • Options
    Don't see us getting 3 from this. Playing Huddersfield tends to fluctuate horribly and now we're looking up and they aren't it's time they got a result against us. Having said that, we are quite good. 1-1
  • Options
    As I do not get to watch us as much as I would like, can anyone tell me, when we have corners (although only a few so far), does Bikey or TBH go up for them. I see not many people tip either to score.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

As I do not get to watch us as much as I would like, can anyone tell me, when we have corners (although only a few so far), does Bikey or TBH go up for them. I see not many people tip either to score.

Don't think we had a single corner on Tuesday night rather surprisingly!

• Options

ross1 said:

Don't think we had a single corner on Tuesday night rather surprisingly!

Against Derby they both went up, Solly and Wiggins were the ones to stay back.

• Options
    First game outside London.

First game where we'll be the favourites

Interesting test for the Addicks.

2 - 1 away win. Vetokele header and Harriot screamer late on before injury time penalty sets the nerves jangling.
  • Options
    0-0 and a bit of an anticlimax
  • Options
    That would still be a point, a clean sheet and a continued unbeaten run!
  • Options

First game outside London.

First game where we'll be the favourites

Interesting test for the Addicks.

2 - 1 away win. Vetokele header and Harriot screamer late on before injury time penalty sets the nerves jangling.

Huddersfield are favourites.