Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Press Day Today (24th Aug, page 31)

Comments

• Options

RedChaser said:

So no genuine comments on players etc... i.e. Is Solly banned on Saturday, have we appealed, was that appeal turned down or is it still ongoing (meaning that Solly is available until confirmed) or did we not bother to appeal in the end?

Is Chicksen still injured or has he been patched up to appear on the bench this Saturday?

It's criminal mate, how the hell are you supposed to do a pre match write up when he says 4/5ths of 5/8ths about eff all :wink: .
    Haha... Funnily thats genuinely half the reason for my rant!! ;)
    Up top for thinking, plates of meat for dancing :sunglasses:
  • Options

20m
    Charlton Athletic FC‏ @CAFCofficial
    KR | "I want to change the culture of the whole club. I want to breed a winning mentality. #cafc

Well, good luck with that one Karl
  • Options
    edited February 2017

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

So no genuine comments on players etc... i.e. Is Solly banned on Saturday, have we appealed, was that appeal turned down or is it still ongoing (meaning that Solly is available until confirmed) or did we not bother to appeal in the end?

Is Chicksen still injured or has he been patched up to appear on the bench this Saturday?

It's criminal mate, how the hell are you supposed to do a pre match write up when he says 4/5ths of 5/8ths about eff all :wink: .
    Haha... Funnily thats genuinely half the reason for my rant!! ;)
    Up top for thinking, plates of meat for dancing :sunglasses:
    ?
    It's an old saying to imply you're on the ball and dont think with your feet, in other words I'd worked out what your gripe was :wink:
  • Options
    Haven't seen the video but what you say is true, he says a lot of things that make sense.

Trouble is what he says doesn't matter.

Just win games.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey he rattles on.

That to me is a press conference for the owner, whom he knows has got his hand on the axe.

All the comments about he knows what's wrong, he knows how to fix it, it needs time, needs stability, bringing in players in the next window, can't keep chopping and changing, 2 players in each position etc etc is all for self preservation.

Mind games with Douche - I like it. Will he win though, we'll see........... It might buy him time but we all know a leopard never changes it spots.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

KR | "We're going to make a couple of changes for Saturday"

Just pick your BEST team Karl. Let's see what you think it is.
    And then let's see how they do on Saturday.

NONE of them need a rest.

Thanks.

It will be nice to see a couple of new faces in the team , make a change from seeing the same 11 start every game
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @seth plum picked out exactly what stood out for me during that 20 minute video.

Stating that he (KR) requires two players in each position of equal quality is the biggest indication yet that KR doesn't really understand who he is working for.

Come the end of next summer our squad will yet again be smaller, unfit for League One and by Christmas he'll be gone, only for the cycle to start again with the next naive manager who genuinely believes he can turn it around.
  • Options
    Always interesting to hear what the manager has to say, even if just to explain away another nightmeire. The thing is, although as Seth says his reading of the most obvious failings within the squad sound reasonable, there's a huge temptation to say "told you so". Even the most blinkered outsider couldn't fail to notice the widespread criticism and exposure of the regime from so many well respected sources. Did he honestly think he could change their stance? They have been advised many times over but refuse to listen so identifying the weaknesses is all but pointless. Their ignorance knows no bounds.
  • Options
    I hope me makes a couple of changes for Saturday.
  • Options
    Combined with the current run of form, If Duche is embarrassed by the protest in Belgium, Robinson will get the sack. It really doesn't matter to Duche that Robinson has been a yes man up until this moment. The manager is the front man for the con and entirely expendable.
  • Options
    I have to disagree Seth, if Robinson had 2 players of equal ability for every position he would never know what his best eleven is, cue 5 or 6 changes for every game.
  • Options
    He'' be gone before Northampton if we lose to Bury and Shrewsbury
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Combined with the current run of form, If Duche is embarrassed by the protest in Belgium, Robinson will get the sack. It really doesn't matter to Duche that Robinson has been a yes man up until this moment. The manager is the front man for the con and entirely expendable.

This!
    At least this way he can once again make the excuse for protest being 'against the manager/results and that he has rectified this with the sacking"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two players of equal quality in every position is rubbish.

Every manager would want this but it doesn't work. When you do get anywhere close to this the you have lots of unhappy payers on the bench or even worse not making the squad.

• Options
    One big change for me is that KR seems to know a lot about the opposition, individual players. I'm not sure some of our precious Douchbag era managers really knew what league were in!
  • Options
    I think the club let him down badly in January and he looked pretty peed off after the window shut. I also think he has been a tad unluck.

The goal against Millwall, hitting the woodwork and a couple of fluke goals against. It does seem to me he has not had the rub of the green. Hopefully it will even out.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I watched it just now.

They won't appeal Solly.

It is fascinating watching Karl at the moment. He is steeped in football, and there are loads of things he says I completely agree with. Loads.

The conference is a long one (20mins) but take one aspiration he has as an example. Karl would like two players of equal ability in every position fighting for their place in the team. All of them players who desperately want to play for Charlton. What's not to like or agree with there? There are tons of other examples of things he says I agree with, he is able to describe what is happening and what is necessary very well, with some nice details too.

The two central questions are does he have the ability to successfully put in place what is needed? And does he have the resources and backing to put in place what is needed?

Karl mentioned the loss of Fox and Lookman when interestingly talking of fine margins in matches, but he also extended the fine margin metaphor by suggesting that if so much depends on fine margins in matches, then we have to up the fine margin effort in training and preparation.

This interview offers a lot to chew on, and through the Robinson style one can discern a person engaged pretty thoroughly with football.
    The problem for Karl is that he is arriving new, excited and innocent to a situation at Charlton that we have endured and been worn down by for a long period of time.

Even if Karl can't see it, we are more able to read the runes than he is I would suggest. Maybe Karl is too up close and personal, but from a distance I see a lurking Congo Chris, a stalled (again) training ground, the sale of young talent, the mysterious deployment of other players, token investment in the team and general instability.

Oh, and an empty stadium, but Karl is used to that at MKD.

I can't get away from any so called lessons learned from any so called unspecified mistakes, and any attempts to 'change', and any amount of managerial rotation, fresh starts, as all being window dressing.

It is the fundamentals at Charlton that need to change, I think Karl gets that too, but we the fans might be a bit ahead of Karl in anticipating the stark reality of a future we face whilst this regime continues as it has done.

I'm amazed he came out with the bit about having 2 players competing for every position. Very few clubs, if any, even at the top have that luxury. That's probably his most nonsense comment yet.

I'd like the luxury of having 6 or 7 birds to chat to on these online dating apps to increase my chances of getting some, as it is I get sporadic matches every so often. I have to utilise all my bullshit chat to keep that one match happy until I get a date and then hope I don't cock it up on the date. In other words, I work with what meagre game I have and try and eek out that result
  • Options
    No other club in L1 will have two players of equal quality in every position

Indeed, possibly my favourite team, the 1991/2 one had barely 16 first team players, but what it had was quality and character. And durability, with the majority of players playing virtually every game
  • Options
    Should we surmise that Fleetwood, Oxford, Southend etc etc have 2 quality players in each position in their squads? Absolute tosh as usual. 20 mins of utter bullshit. For someone who's so convinced he knows what to do he better hurry up and start doing it before Douchebag pulls the trigger and Groundhog Day starts all over again.
  • Options
    KR says several times he's been told to tell the truth, meantime, what was the attendance?
  • Options

“It has been hard for some of these players. It has been a real difficult time for the club and when players have been immersed in it for so long it can create a bad culture."

Rudd - Joined in summer

Page - January

Magennis - summer

Holmes -summer

Bauer - previous summer

Mavididi - January

Crofts - summer (Botaka - summer)

Forster-Caskey - January (Watt - January 2015)

Teixeira - January 2016

Byrne - January (Aribo - Youth Team - Debut under Robinson)

Solly - Youth Team - Debut under Parkinson

So of the 14 who played v Oxford 10 having only been playing since last summer and five made their debuts under Robinson. Watt has been away and came back under Robinson.

So how have they been "immersed in it for so long" when Robinson himself says Slade created a much better atmosphere?

JUST WIN GAMES

Waffle