Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Driving

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Final point (made before), when you turn off a main road into a side road, you're supposed to wait for any pedestrians to cross said side road before you do so, they're not supposed to pause for you as you sweep around that corner. How many of us think the pedestrians ought to wait? Is it because we think 'well I will only take a moment, they won't have to wait long, whereas if I wait for the pedestrians I will be held up longer than they would've been'?

No we think that because it's what the Highway Code says! The Highway Code (170) states that pedestrians only have priority if they have started to cross. Otherwise they are supposed to wait for the vehicle(s) to pass.
    From the pedestrian bit of the Highway Code:
    At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing (my emphasis) and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way.

However,taking into account the chances of a pedestrian either having read or remembered the Code, it's probably best to be cautious! (Especially if said pedestrian is attired in a pair of Dr Dre Beats. If they are it probably explains why they are walking rather than driving as they'll still be paying off the loan they took out to buy them!)
    What if the pedestrian is wearing a Micra skirt?

:-)
    Offer her a lift?
  • Options
    The problems as I see them;
    There are to many cars on the road combined with to many prats on the road who think their need to get somewhere outweighs all around them.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

LenGlover said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Final point (made before), when you turn off a main road into a side road, you're supposed to wait for any pedestrians to cross said side road before you do so, they're not supposed to pause for you as you sweep around that corner. How many of us think the pedestrians ought to wait? Is it because we think 'well I will only take a moment, they won't have to wait long, whereas if I wait for the pedestrians I will be held up longer than they would've been'?

No we think that because it's what the Highway Code says! The Highway Code (170) states that pedestrians only have priority if they have started to cross. Otherwise they are supposed to wait for the vehicle(s) to pass.
    At a junction. When crossing the road, look out for traffic turning into the road, especially from behind you. If you have started crossing (my emphasis) and traffic wants to turn into the road, you have priority and they should give way.

However,taking into account the chances of a pedestrian either having read or remembered the Code, it's probably best to be cautious! (Especially if said pedestrian is attired in a pair of Dr Dre Beats. If they are it probably explains why they are walking rather than driving as they'll still be paying off the loan they took out to buy them!)
    What if the pedestrian is wearing a Micra skirt?

:-)
    Offer him a lift?
    Fixed that..... ;-)

• Options

The problems as I see them;
    There are to many cars on the road combined with to many prats on the road who think their need to get somewhere outweighs all around them.

True. More or less our entire transport infrastructure was designed before governments decided to open our borders to uncontrolled immigration and was designed for a population size half of what we have now. Even where we are introducing road widening will be obsolete in the next 20 years if our population continues to grow at the current rate. Unfortunately we also have one of the worst mass transit systems in the developed world which wasn't fit for purpose 20 years ago, let alone today.
  • Options

Leroy, no offence but what a selfish post, okay, so just because the speedlimit is 70 you see no reason to move to the nearside lane because people shouldn't be overtaking you anyway? did you really just write that?

Next time you go on a Mway, do that in the outside lane, see how long you last.

If people want to do 80 mph (most do at times) let them run the risk with the law, but you don't need to prove a point to them just because of your own agenda, risking peoples lives you are pal.

You misread my post (unsurprising, since you're from Sheffield... :o)

I maintain that doing slightly over the speed limit in the middle lane causes no trouble for anyone except arseholes who just want to drive their car like they're playing GTA
    I do find you to be one of the most logical posters, but I'm wondering if you're on a wind up with this one, cos it's utter nonsense.
  • Options
    Just don't forget that the highway code does not apply on any roads within a two mile radius of Bluewater shopping centre (or so it seems)
  • Options

The Highway Code also gives stopping distances, not many adhere to those especially on motorways. That is my pet hate.
    Most motorways around London are too busy to change lanes as you are supposed to. Seth was spot on. I don't think middle lane hugging is unsafe though, as opposed to excessive speed, changing lanes without indicating, overtaking on the inside etc.

Using a mobile phone while driving is an offence and people get done for it all the time.

overtaking on the inside can be caused by middle lane hogs, thus the accidents etc. But i agree, i hate people that don't adhere to stopping distances.

as for knowing your highway code, it is technically mandatory for you to know your highway code and keep an updated one. Thus the point of the theory test.
  • Options

Not true. This is based on one study that has been repeatedly discredited. It's the same mentality that sees people try and foist mandatory helmets on cyclists because they prevent deaths from head injuries - people just believe things that they think are true, without actually knowing the facts.

Whether you like it or not what you're doing is against the Highway Code and if you're ever in a situation where you're in an accident it will be viewed that you caused the accident by middle lane hogging.
    The highway code also tells you that the speed limit is 70. So my initial point stands. Unless the traffic in the left hand lane is doing under the speed limit, technically you can't legally pass it in the middle Lane. You see what I'm getting at?
    yes, and if you're in an accident going over 70 you can be at fault for driving too fast. The point remains, what you're doing is against the highway code and the guidelines other drivers adhere to.
  • Options
    Fair point.

The Highway Code also gives stopping distances, not many adhere to those especially on motorways. That is my pet hate.
    Most motorways around London are too busy to change lanes as you are supposed to. Seth was spot on. I don't think middle lane hugging is unsafe though, as opposed to excessive speed, changing lanes without indicating, overtaking on the inside etc.

Using a mobile phone while driving is an offence and people get done for it all the time.

overtaking on the inside can be caused by middle lane hogs, thus the accidents etc. But i agree, i hate people that don't adhere to stopping distances.

as for knowing your highway code, it is technically mandatory for you to know your highway code and keep an updated one. Thus the point of the theory test.
    The theory test was way after my time.

• Options
    Well that checks out. No point learning anything unless someone's going to test you. Are you willing to die in a house fire on account of smoke detectors being invented after you left school?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lighten up ffs
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    JiMMy 85 said:

Well that checks out. No point learning anything unless someone's going to test you. Are you willing to die in a house fire on account of smoke detectors being invented after you left school?

To be honest there is a problem in this country that if they didn't learn it in school, there's no point learning it later in life. They just rely on the Guv'mint to educate them or pay for their mistakes when they mess up. If it wasn't for the constant adverts telling people to get smoke alarms or test them regularly, I doubt most people would bother with them.
  • Options

Leroy, no offence but what a selfish post, okay, so just because the speedlimit is 70 you see no reason to move to the nearside lane because people shouldn't be overtaking you anyway? did you really just write that?

Next time you go on a Mway, do that in the outside lane, see how long you last.

If people want to do 80 mph (most do at times) let them run the risk with the law, but you don't need to prove a point to them just because of your own agenda, risking peoples lives you are pal.

You misread my post (unsurprising, since you're from Sheffield... :o)

I was merely indicating the absurdity of a situation where people are moaning about someone preventing them from breaking the law. FWIW, I sit in the middle lane most of the time. I do about 75-80 probably 90% of the time, and when I look in my rearview mirror I never see people stuck up my arsehole - they use the fast lane. Like I said - anyone doing 65 in the middle lane needs their head examined, but I maintain that doing slightly over the speed limit in the middle lane causes no trouble for anyone except arseholes who just want to drive their car like they're playing GTA
    What's wrong with pulling into the nearside lane though?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Since I bought a van I have discovered the joys of driving at 65 because we are going up a slight incline, and the happy smiles on the faces of the people I am trying to overtake as we go neck and neck for a mile or so before I realise I can't do it, and drop back. My "opening a can of coke and eating a sandwich at 90mph" routine was ridiculous anyway. They didn't mention that in the theory test either.
  • Options

Since I bought a van I have discovered the joys of driving at 65 because we are going up a slight incline, and the happy smiles on the faces of the people I am trying to overtake as we go neck and neck for a mile or so before I realise I can't do it, and drop back. My "opening a can of coke and eating a sandwich at 90mph" routine was ridiculous anyway. They didn't mention that in the theory test either.

I have to do this in the work van (British Gas) as it is limited to 70 mph whereas my last company van despite being limited to 67mph could get up to 80 down hill .

When I'm having to take ages to overtake someone doing 68 and then they suddenly decide to do 71 just as I get round them it frustrated the living daylights out of me
  • Options
    I have been known to do 90 in mine, but it feels as though the wheels are going to fall off and the rev counter gets a bit close to the red. I'm still faster than the local retirement community in their Mercs and Jags though.
  • Options

Lighten up ffs

Well that might be the problem!
  • Options
    On reflection I don't think I read properly the post that I quoted.
  • Options
    I chuckled to myself as I was reminded of this thread as I was chugging along the inside lane yesterday and got overtaken by a Nissan Micra in the middle lane , it wasn't you was it Henry?
  • Options
    Why don't people use the whole of a slip road like they are meant to rather than stopping at the first available moment leaving 200 yards or more of empty road in front of them?

On a similar theme when it comes to roadworks you are supposed to use all the available road space until it narrows and let traffic in alternately. Why don't people do that either?

Both of the above cause more jams than middle lane driving in my view.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This will make you laugh. Here in Portugal they have finally bought in some laws to do with roundabouts and as usual have got it completely arse about face. Bearing in mind we drive on the right, if you are going straight over or left you should take the left hand lane, you should only be in the right lane if you are turning right. Now about 25% of people still think its fine to turn left from the right hand lane. So if you are obeying the law, at least once a week you are braking in the middle of the roundabout as some idiot sweeps in front of you from the outside lane to go left...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Why don't people use the whole of a slip road like they are meant to rather than stopping at the first available moment leaving 200 yards or more of empty road in front of them?

On a similar theme when it comes to roadworks you are supposed to use all the available road space until it narrows and let traffic in alternately. Why don't people do that either?

Both of the above cause more jams than middle lane driving in my view.

Oh thank you! I thought it was me - earlier this week I was on a motorway and due to roadworks it was narrowing down to 1 lane. I stayed in the middle lane but in good time started to move into the outside lane as there was room between a car and a van. As I started to move into the outside lane, having indicated, the tw@t in the car started to speed up to close the gap. So I started to speed up too and continued my move, but now I was getting close to the van and I could see him getting very close to my rear end (oh er missus) and he was actually moving to the right so that he could remain on the outside of me. At that point I thought "fcuk this" and sped up, joining the outside lane a few cars further up. Somebody tell me what the fcuking hell was going through his mind?
  • Options
    Words that you will never hear from anyone.............I am a shit driver !
  • Options
    Quite right. I don't think I'm a very good driver though. ;-)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

I've noticed an increasing trend for pedestrians to cross without looking in this scenario, presumably because they think they are in the right and have complete right of way. Conversely I've also noticed a trend for vehicles to continue their journey at zebra crossings if the pedestrian has crossed their half of the road, but are still on the crossing. Ignorance of the rules or is it nobody could give two hoots about anyone else!?
  • Options
    There are two things a man will never admit to being bad at: driving and sex.
    Sir Stirling Moss
  • Options

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Conversely I've also noticed a trend for vehicles to continue their journey at zebra crossings if the pedestrian has crossed their half of the road, but are still on the crossing. Ignorance of the rules or is it nobody could give two hoots about anyone else!?
    Well, if there's an island in the zebra crossing it would be precise compliance with the Highway Code because "A zebra crossing with a central island is two separate crossings (see Rule 20)".

And Rule 20 says "Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19 before you cross the second half of the road – it is a separate crossing."

From the pedestrians point of view a quick look at rule 19 tells you not to start crossing until all traffic has stopped.

"Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped."

Still bad form though.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Conversely I've also noticed a trend for vehicles to continue their journey at zebra crossings if the pedestrian has crossed their half of the road, but are still on the crossing. Ignorance of the rules or is it nobody could give two hoots about anyone else!?
    Well, if there's an island in the zebra crossing it would be precise compliance with the Highway Code because "A zebra crossing with a central island is two separate crossings (see Rule 20)".

And Rule 20 says "Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19 before you cross the second half of the road – it is a separate crossing."

From the pedestrians point of view a quick look at rule 19 tells you not to start crossing until all traffic has stopped.

"Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped."

Still bad form though.

Yeah, I was thinking specifically about zebra crossings without an island.
  • Options
    The average driver believes they are a better driver than the average driver...
  • Options
    Never trust a driver wearing a hat!

He or she is liable to do something completely unexpected.

I was told this about 45 years ago and always pay extra attention to drivers who wear a hat as it often proves to be true.