Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

As a Club, you are better than this

Comments

• Options

I don't know about `loathed', `hated' and `nasty'.

Nor me. I quite like the fact that we are a club that very few actually dislike. I don't think that will change.

• Options
    I was there yesterday and can't recall one incident of a Charlton player diving. We certainly had the better of the refereeing decisions - clearly a penalty at the end on Vaughan and was obvious from the away end.

Not sure the red will be successfully appealed mind. By the time Vetokele goes down you have a second man there to cover but he was away and then its a matter of discretion for the ref. On another day, would have been a yellow and game moves on. Don't forget the extremely cynical challenge you're lad made on Buyens as he was racing away shortly before the red card though!

You boys did a job on us second half and we didn't know how to break you down. We were extremely lucky and didn't deserve the point. Good luck for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    craigcafc said:

I was there yesterday and can't recall one incident of a Charlton player diving. We certainly had the better of the refereeing decisions - clearly a penalty at the end on Vaughan and was obvious from the away end.

Not sure the red will be successfully appealed mind. By the time Vetokele goes down you have a second man there to cover but he was away and then its a matter of discretion for the ref. On another day, would have been a yellow and game moves on. Don't forget the extremely cynical challenge you're lad made on Buyens as he was racing away shortly before the red card though!

You boys did a job on us second half and we didn't know how to break you down. We were extremely lucky and didn't deserve the point. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the good wishes, it is fair to say we have not played that well for a long, long time and with only ten Men.

The Charlton Players quickly realised how they could influence the ref, and used it (thus my follow up post as ultimately, can you blame them?). Your number 6 after harassing the referee following the incident that led to a red card, then walked away clapping his hands after the red card was shown.

There were three huge decisions in the game, the ref gave us not one of them:

1) your Goalie goes walk about towards the half-way line, thinks 'oh shit' and as Nahki Wells gets the ball from him (and puts it in the net). Your Goalie throws himself on the deck and unsurprisingly based on events yesterday gets the free kick. It just wasn't, end of (cheers Ref, don't worry I said to the Chap next to me, he owes us a decision now which we will get at some point to level it up).

2) the sending off , we are appealing (pointless exercise) as Wallace was not the last Man (thanks again the Man from West Sussex)

3) the Vaughan 'penalty', nothing to say is there really (well Ref, you have really tucked us up today)

The ref even gets one ( not all) of the above decisions right and the outcome may have been different.

Reading independent match reports, we were done, simple as. Like I said though, sure it will even itself out and we will get some over the course of the season.

Will be down at the Valley as per usual for the return match, from an entertainment / excitement perspective, more of the same please! (just different officials).
  • Options

Always had a soft spot for Charlton, consistent diving and your number 6 in particular (there were more) going out of there way to influence a sending off. Simply disappointing.

Good turn out from your fans and a reality superb match ruined by officials too quick to be influenced.

As for the disallowed goal we had, the ref (again) bought your keepers theatrics.

You do look a good side though, playing some good stuff in places.

You're still unbeaten for 6 years though.
  • Options

Always had a soft spot for Charlton, consistent diving and your number 6 in particular (there were more) going out of there way to influence a sending off. Simply disappointing.

Good turn out from your fans and a reality superb match ruined by officials too quick to be influenced.

As for the disallowed goal we had, the ref (again) bought your keepers theatrics.

You're still unbeaten for 6 years though.
  • Options
    Fair play LBTF, sounds like we absolutely robbed you. I recall well the game at The Valley when you outplayed us with 10 for the second half as well.

It sounds that the 'diving' accusation was really only levelled at our goalkeeper, which I find quite amusing. Pope's gotta be careful or he'll get a reputation ;)

The red card? I guess the ref felt Vetokele would get there first, but again, seems a little harsh.

The indisputable one's the penalty at the end, really, at which point we hold up our hands and say 'it happens', take the point we've stolen and head on to the next game.

Whether you appoint Powell or Lillis (or anyone else) I'll be hoping you don't struggle this season; you're one of my favourite clubs in the league - a particularly low wanker quotient from what I can tell, and you seem well-adjusted to your position in the football cosmos - no malignant chip on shoulder or fractious feelings of batting below your station. I feel slightly embarrassed whenever fellow CAFC fans claim we should be beating you, although it's to be expected in the grand scheme of 'banter'
  • Options
    Loved the fact that Lillis mentioned our bench went bonkers when we equalized. Must have really pissed him off. That, my old chum, is passion.
  • Options
    LBTF it sounds exactly like the refereeing performance the year we both came up. We lost one nil at your place and the ref left us equally pissed off. Unfortunately these things happen to us all, moan a bit then get over it.
  • Options
    These things come around, it sounds like we did get away with a dodgy decision or two, even some influencing the ref but i can also remember coming away on one of the 3 trips i made in the last so many years to Huddersfield(can't remember which game) furious after with similar claims about Huddersfield that day.

Going down easy, trying to get our players sent off and general thuggish behaviour.

I was overreacting as many of us fans do to a bit of bad luck in a game of Football in the same way Town fans will be until the next game.

Wish them luck though, Huddersfield are a decent family club like us and hopefully they will soon have SCP as manager to boost their fortunes, hopefully we are both looking up this season(we certainly seem to be) rather then having the trap door breathing down our clubs necks once again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LBTF your posts are excellent.
    On the telly last night it looked a clear penalty on Vaughan getting pushed over, no doubt at all. Mind you the penalty then has to be scored and we all know that can go wrong sometimes. On radio Leeds they also couldn't understand the foul on Pope and the disallowed goal, it sounds like he messed up and his 'dive' (if it wasn't a foul) was a player trying to get out of trouble rather than a systematic policy.
    The sending off is more organic as the ref would have had in his mind the chop down and booking just before, as would the Charlton players at that moment, all those thoughts and attitudes would have been swirling around when Vetokele was fouled and all the people, being human, would have probably reacted in that way whatever the team, probably not a systematic policy either.
    All that said, Huddersfield by all accounts were simply brilliant with the ten men and Scannell was apparently superb. We tried all of our subs, got loads of corners and so on, but Huddersfield were heroic.
    Our equaliser sounds like a last throw of the dice situation, sticking the CB up front against a tired team working like heroes, and this time it paid off as can happen in football.
    You were unlucky no doubt about it, we got out of jail and of course we're pleased about that because that's the way it goes sometimes, and everybody has been in your situation themselves.
    If you're a person who likes class and integrity then I advise you to appoint Chris Powell if it suits everybody. He is a good manager, a good coach, and players will run through walls for him, like that brilliant Huddersfield team under Ian Greaves used to for Greaves.
    Avoid Billy Davis, would be the wrong call, to him you will be another job, but Powell would cherish the situation and be proud to manage a great club like yours.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Swings and Roundabouts in regards to the ref.

2014 Huddersfield 1 Charlton 1. Huddersfield fans complaining that the referee, Mr Tim Robinson from West Sussex was incompetent.

2012 Huddersfield 1 Charlton 0. Charlton's away support complaining that the referee, Mr Carl Boyeson from East Yorkshire was incompetent.

Swings and Roundabouts.

Karma.
  • Options

I have to say, in places you look as good a Team that Charlton have had for some time, precise passing and plenty of pace / width, think you are in for a good season.

Since our record breaking league 1 winning season perhaps?
  • Options

Good side? Were the best in the championship by a country mile.
  • Options
    Good point made by those about Carl Boyeson.
  • Options

Sounds like we got a bit lucky but, when it comes to sending offs, we've had a couple of dodgy ones ourselves against you in recent years. These things even out in theory.

Anyway cheer up it's your turn to win the FA Cup tie this year!
  • Options
    I always thought LBTF was a girl...

what a chump I feel.
  • Options
    matt88 said:

cafcfan said:

Frankly, I don't want to be the club that everyone else has a soft spot for. It's tiresome. I want to be loathed and hated.

This sort of comment belongs on a millwall forum.
    Knowing the poster's style there is a very large tongue in a comparatively small cheek....
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I have written to the board to demand a 1 minute silence at the next home game dedicated to all the Huddersfield fans who have had their life and footballing illusions cruelly shattered by the events at Saturday's game.

Good idea, also to make up for the marks of respect we should have had every time they lost their unbeaten run :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These things have already evened out, we were unlucky not to beat Brentford and were lucky to get a point at Huddersfield. I have moved on from Brentford so everyone else should do from this match.
  • Options
    Welcome to CL LBTF wawaw?
  • Options

Almost 1900 Owls yesterday, a few more than we will take!
  • Options

wtf?
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2014
    For what it's worth -

I thought it was a foul on Pope when he went to redeem his mis-kick.

I think Vaughn should have had a penalty.

I think the sending off was harsh. There was a foul but it didn't deserve a red. Having said that, we were playing better against your 11 and I don't think the sending off did us any favours. It gave you a cause and you stuck to it and it almost worked.
  • Options
    Dirtiest cheats I've seen at the valley were Watford last season. Forrestieri and his mates.
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights on Charlton player. Really can't see the arguement regarding the disallowed goal. Yes, Pope made a mess of his clearance, but was then bundled over when shielding the ball. Ref got that one right. Sending off was a bit harsh I thought and as for the penalty claim, Thought he was looking for it, which went against him, but it was a pen nonetheless.

Nice to have a bit of luck on our side on our side for a change....................
  • Options

Thing is LesBiTran fan, I get the impression that in the 56 years you've been following Town, you are probably outraged by a ref or opposition performance a good 40 times a season !

"LesBiTran"? Is that supposed to be funny? I find it just plain offensive. Would you write (ecited) fan?
    Who censored my post?
  • Options
    matt88 said:

cafcfan said:

Frankly, I don't want to be the club that everyone else has a soft spot for. It's tiresome. I want to be loathed and hated.

This sort of comment belongs on a millwall forum.

Millwall are loathed and hated, no wanting about it.
  • Options
    Watched the highlights ...

Wells fouled Pope ... so a free kick

Wallace pulled back Vetokele who has a run on goal .... er, red card

Vaughan should have had a penalty

You can look at every match and come up with the same points ...

Mark Lillis looks old tho