Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton post match views 2014/15

Comments

• Options
    After watching those highlights I do think we should be sending the ref something as a thank you.

Never a foul on Pope, never a red, 100% a pen. But who cares we're unbeaten.
  • Options
    Igor is a proper striker, his finish for the offside goal was terrific as well...

Im really starting to like the this team...
  • Options
    peeters interview was good as well... "trust the coaching staff to make the decisions" is the message to the team, as in dont start punting it up top before we say that what you should do...

and he will drill this into them after this game...

Im really starting to like Peeters...
  • Options
    Thought the sending off looked a litte harsh. The Hudds penalty shout would have been a soft one too though. TBH placed hands on him so was taking a risk but Vaughan's fall was very dramatic.
  • Options

Always difficult playing against ten men. On the plus side, we've got ourselves a goalscorer!

Always seen that observation as a cop out! At this level, against a side with whom you are evenly matched, when they go to 10 men at 0-0 for over 50% of the game you should be doing them! No excuses, it's as simple as that! It was Huddersfield, not Chelski!
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

peeters interview was good as well... "trust the coaching staff to make the decisions" is the message to the team, as in dont start punting it up top before we say that what you should do...

and he will drill this into them after this game...

Im really starting to like Peeters...

He certainly seems to be paying more than just lip service to the idea we will play good passing football which I think is something some of previous mangers were a little guilty of at times.

• Options

Always difficult playing against ten men. On the plus side, we've got ourselves a goalscorer!

Always seen that observation as a cop out! At this level, against a side with whom you are evenly matched, when they go to 10 men at 0-0 for over 50% of the game you should be doing them! No excuses, it's as simple as that! It was Huddersfield, not Chelski!
    And we are Charlton not Real Madrid!

• Options

If only the opposition would just roll over!

Hudds grabbed their goal and then with 9 men behind the ball and one up top, parked the bus.

We might have spent most of the 2nd half camped in their half, but it's difficult to break them down with the oppo pressing hard, denying us space and time on the ball. And always a chance you get caught on the break.

We saw these tactics often enough with Chris Powell - and frequently got a result.
  • Options
    A point without playing great simular to the first half at brentford. Defo pen the ref was an awayer and also a ridiculous sending off. Difficult story Tuesday and Saturday.
  • Options

A point without playing great simular to the first half at brentford. Defo pen the ref was an awayer and also a ridiculous sending off. Difficult story Tuesday and Saturday.

Grimm ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Nice to keep that unbeaten run going, my first game of the season next week at Brighton and i'm taking my son who's never seen us win away in about 10 attempts so reality will return next week.
    Great flick on by Bikey and sharpness in Igor, that was shown in his youtube stuff , for that finish .
    Above the scum an added bonus and palace bottom two

0.5% top two.........8.5% 3rd-6th.......... 45% 7th-12th.........46% 13th-21st......... 0% Relegation

@oohaahmortimer‌ how do you get these percentages?
    i go in to one of the most accurate footballing thought boxes ever known to man and retrieve those percentages ...... just my thoughts on things ;-)
  • Options

Grimm ?

What
  • Options
    Have to say that having seen the highlights that we got very lucky. It didn't look a red to me, and seemed to be a fairly clear penalty. However, we kept fighting and refused to accept defeat, and that is a really positive sign. I think it's clear that this side are different to the last few seasons in the fact that they believe they are the better team, and that confidence does half the job in making us a better team.
  • Options

Grimm ?

What
    Brothers Grimm - very droll comment based on malapropism/autocorrection "difficult story Tuesday and Saturday". Do keep up.
  • Options
    Wow, just seen the highlights - stone cold nailed on penalty for Hudders denied. The sending off, imo one of those- some you get some you dont.

Blowing my own trumpet now, as I opined in pre-match thread, they would make life difficult for us. I predicted 2-2 so 1-1 not bad. COYR!!
  • Options
    Jesus, Pope looks as shakey as you can get at this level. Lucky point but a point away from home when you're not at the races is a very good sign.
  • Options
    Nerves can be a terrible thing, can really hold someone back.

Pope does look a mess, seems to have good ability and a good build for a goalie, but he really, really looks uncomfortable, has to be down to nerves. Hopefully Bob or someone else in the squad can get some confidence in him.

Would probably help if we cheered Pope on a bit if he starts again next week as daft as it may sound. Would be better than cheering on Wilson repeatdely, still don't get why we cheer on Wilson when he's warming up on the sidelines while the team are playing..
  • Options
    Can't really have an opinion worth "owt" as I wasn't there but I have seen the highlights and I've been at every home game. D'you. know wot, we got lucky. But we have been on the receiving end for a while and this team might just have something. So I'll take the lucky point and move on. Happy days. We need a couple of additions to the squad but I've not felt this optimistic for a while. After Brighton next week, take a look at the fixtures. We could win ten out of ten. Now that would be something! Equally we could crash and burn. But I get a feeling we won't. COYR.
  • Options

Pope does look a mess, seems to have good ability and a good build for a goalie, but he really, really looks uncomfortable, has to be down to nerves. Hopefully Bob or someone else in the squad can get some confidence in him.

Would probably help if we cheered Pope on a bit if he starts again next week as daft as it may sound. Would be better than cheering on Wilson repeatdely, still don't get why we cheer on Wilson when he's warming up on the sidelines while the team are playing..

We did our best to raise Popey's spirits yesterday by singing his name & I don't believe anyone present came away with anything but praise for the way he performed after those first few minutes.

He'll only get better if given the chance & I believe BB is thinking along those lines too.

• Options

Grimm ?

What
    Brothers Grimm - very droll comment based on malapropism/autocorrection "difficult story Tuesday and Saturday". Do keep up.
    My god there are some pedantic "buffoons" that use this site just because someone puts the wrong word in....most of the others knew what i meant how petty....keep up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We did our best to raise Popey's spirits yesterday by singing his name & I don't believe anyone present came away with anything but praise for the way he performed after those first few minutes.

He'll only get better if given the chance & I believe BB is thinking along those lines too.

Fair enough, just going by the games I've been too. Glad no one was giving him stick.
  • Options
    I was surprised to see Big Bob telling his defenders to refrain from the excessive number of back-passes and to get the ball out quicker - and the defence continuing to do exactly the same thing.
    I also thought Pope was nervous from start to finish - albeit with a few catches and parries as the game went on.
    Watched the match from a Huddersfield box and was very relieved to walk away with a point.
    Agree that we were very lucky, but as a famous golfer once said "The better I get, the luckier I seem to be".
    Looking forward to a good, lucky season.
  • Options
    delroofer said:

I was surprised to see Big Bob telling his defenders to refrain from the excessive number of back-passes and to get the ball out quicker - and the defence continuing to do exactly the same thing.
    I also thought Pope was nervous from start to finish - albeit with a few catches and parries as the game went on.
    Watched the match from a Huddersfield box and was very relieved to walk away with a point.
    Agree that we were very lucky, but as a famous golfer once said "The better I get, the luckier I seem to be".
    Looking forward to a good, lucky season.

This
    Looking forward to getting lucky at Brighton and then there is an international break to regroup and perhaps welcome a couple of new faces? If we get some kinda decent result at Brighton then we are still top six... the challenge for September is to stay there. That's when we will see how lucky Peeters really is.
  • Options
    That was Gary Player and wasn't it, 'The more I practice, the luckier I get ' ?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Of course you are absolutely right about Nick Pope: he was in tears on Tuesday night. A good old pro keeper would help our defence, Pope himself, and us fans who know, love and fear Charlie Wright.

Another thing that needs improving: Tucudean and Vetokele are static off the ball. Watch them. Our defender has possession, looks up with intent, plays a ten-yard pass to midfield and receives a backward hospital ball by way of thanks. Another example: We have a free-kick forty yards from goal - and everything is frozen, dead. Even the birds have stopped singing. It takes ages for us to retrieve the ball itself - were are 0-0, remember - then place it exactly, puff out the cheeks, look and see, check with the manager, kick heels, and...

We have lost the momentum that got us the advantage in the first place. Excellent strikers, Paul Walsh, for example, move back in to midfield to receive the ball, then turn and attack. Tucudean and Vetokele should be coached to move back and forth: they are not static targets to be fired at on the artillery range on Gravesend marshes.
  • Options

Of course you are absolutely right about Nick Pope: he was in tears on Tuesday night. A good old pro keeper would help our defence, Pope himself, and us fans who know, love and fear Charlie Wright.

Another thing that needs improving: Tucudean and Vetokele are static off the ball. Watch them. Our defender has possession, looks up with intent, plays a ten-yard pass to midfield and receives a backward hospital ball by way of thanks. Another example: We have a free-kick forty yards from goal - and everything is frozen, dead. Even the birds have stopped singing. It takes ages for us to retrieve the ball itself - were are 0-0, remember - then place it exactly, puff out the cheeks, look and see, check with the manager, kick heels, and...

We have lost the momentum that got us the advantage in the first place. Excellent strikers, Paul Walsh, for example, move back in to midfield to receive the ball, then turn and attack. Tucudean and Vetokele should be coached to move back and forth: they are not static targets to be fired at on the artillery range on Gravesend marshes.
    What is it with you and Paul Walsh, VF?
  • Options

Twas nothing, they went out once and he tried to cop a feel and got knocked back. First love eh?
  • Options
    Good to read that about Igor and shows the difference having a bit of cash can make as he is obviously a class above what we've been used to. Think he's our biggest transfer fee since relegation from the prem and this rate he'll be worth a few Bob more in a couple of years. Still only 22 as well.
  • Options

Pure undiluted admiration. Tucudean's receive, swivel and run for the pen on Tuesday night was superb - Walshy himself would applaud.

But Tucudean is injured. So, who would you have as his replacement? Callum Harriott? Joe Pigott?

Precisely.