Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can we discuss "Severe Terror threats"

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Unfortunately there isn't a short term solution to this.We have to remember that many more British people are killed on the roads than by terrorists. We also have to understand better how a terrorist is created and accept our share of the blame for those conditions. Simply, because you can't solve anything until you know why you have the problem.

Any fundamental application of religion is dangerous and the people who have been radicalised are lunatics. You have to get them before they become lunatics and I do believe this is where other muslims need to take up the fight. They are the ones who will solve it and commendably some have been trying to do just that, but I have to say the religion could have done more in the past.

But to solve a problem you must look to the future not the past. The solution is to stop radicalisation. Let the Imams and the muslim community sort this out as white middle aged people/politicians will only make worse. Our job is to support the muslim community to win the battle with fundamentalism.
  • edited June 2015
  • We have to remember that many more British people are killed on the roads than by terrorists.

Why give roads a bad name? Nearly twice as many people are killed at home as they are on roads in the UK. With the living room being the most dangerous place to be.
  • Unfortunately there isn't a short term solution to this.We have to remember that many more British people are killed on the roads than by terrorists. We also have to understand better how a terrorist is created and accept our share of the blame for those conditions. Simply, because you can't solve anything until you know why you have the problem.

Any fundamental application of religion is dangerous and the people who have been radicalised are lunatics. You have to get them before they become lunatics and I do believe this is where other muslims need to take up the fight. They are the ones who will solve it and commendably some have been trying to do just that, but I have to say the religion could have done more in the past.

But to solve a problem you must look to the future not the past. The solution is to stop radicalisation. Let the Imams and the muslim community sort this out as white middle aged people/politicians will only make worse. Our job is to support the muslim community to win the battle with fundamentalism.

Common sense finally prevails in this thread. This violence is but the passing and final gasp of a religious world that dominated for millennia. We will ride this out. What we need to do is support integration and make sure those poorest in society have a purpose and a belonging, which is why they go to extremist movements, whether it's Isis or the edl in the first place.
  • The radicalisation of these individuals is happening in Mosques and on the Internet. The moderate Muslims do not follow the ISIS Twitter feed, or frequent terrorist forums. Moderate Muslims do not attend Mosques on a regular basis, pray four times a day, or even abstain from alcohol. To prevent further incursions of ISIS into Western nations, you have to prevent this radicalisation of young impressionable Muslims from happening. Closing Mosques is not the same as outlawing the religion, people can still pray in the comfort of their own homes. What it will do is prevent the preachers of hate from having access to hundreds of young Muslims at a time. It will also send a powerful message that the West intends to retain Christianity as it's predominant religion. Internet providers also need to work with governments to block the ISIS social media and recruitment campaign.
  • edited June 2015
    I suspect it will simply drive them somewhere else with a greater sense of injustice and less transparency. Rather than closing down the Mosques, the muslims/communities that use the Mosques who are not terrorists or terrorist sympathisers (most of them) have to censure and stop the preachers of hate. The law can help them - so when they suspect radicalisation is taken place, they can report the guilty to the authorities. Much better the community is involved than this is done from the outside IMO. However, the Muslim community's part of the bargain has to be that they address this.
  • The only way I can see and end to this madness is the total destruction of one side or the other, so there is no one left to fight. The world is full of nutters who crave riches and power over others. Get rid of the religion and it is replaced by politics.
  • We make it impossible to police and impossible to infiltrate the bile being spouted by these filth, whilst the likes of choudry and his goons are walking around preaching such lies and filth ,
    We also will not be able to solve it whilst we have areas like Whitechapel in London and sections of Bradford etc that are so insular in their ethnic make up that unless you are a Muslim your an outsider and minority ,

Integration has failed we have segregation hiding as intrigation

The answer is not education it's not from within, these people are not oppressed and without opportunity , they are educated and as well looked after as the majority of people in this country,

There are kids that are without religion of all colours that are in the same position as all of those mentioned that do not look to kill the very society that offers them the clothes the phones the technology they all use and Wear

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2015
    Peace was achieved in Ireland. Thanks to the courage of the late Mo Mowlem. I recall she was criticised for some of the consessions she made with murderers, but somebody has to rise above the hatred to solve the problem. It is different with IS in that their aims are to expand across the globe so there isn’t any room to negotiate, but you can do so with the muslim community that allowed this to happen and is starting to realise what a monster and a threat to themselves it is. That is where the answer will lie.
  • The only way I can see and end to this madness is the total destruction of one side or the other, so there is no one left to fight. The world is full of nutters who crave riches and power over others. Get rid of the religion and it is replaced by politics.

That will never happen, because if you actually manage to wipe out one side, another will just crop up who are appalled by the 'wiping out' and will then pick up the mantle
  • Is there a solution that the UK could adopt to end the 'war' on us?
    I'm playing devils advocate here.

Ban all religion? - Wouldn't work.
    All out war on IS - Again unworkable when we don't know who/where the enemy is.
    Ban all immigration to the UK.- Never going to happen.
    Negotiate with IS - No chance seeing as they want to wipe us (the infidel) out.

I am really at a loss to where this will end, if it ever does.
    But I do believe that unfortunately, something really drastic will happen.
  • Moderate Muslims (I hate that phrase I prefer normal people who happen to be Muslims who have normal levels of love hate and personality) are as innocent and victim of these scum , they are as powerless and unable to curb this behaviour , this is about control , power, money and the ills that come with such things, it's as far away from religion and beliefs,
  • Unfortunately there isn't a short term solution to this.We have to remember that many more British people are killed on the roads than by terrorists. We also have to understand better how a terrorist is created and accept our share of the blame for those conditions. Simply, because you can't solve anything until you know why you have the problem.

Common sense finally prevails in this thread. This violence is but the passing and final gasp of a religious world that dominated for millennia. We will ride this out. What we need to do is support integration and make sure those poorest in society have a purpose and a belonging, which is why they go to extremist movements, whether it's Isis or the edl in the first place.
    Just because there's more people killed by x doesn't mean we shouldn't be taking y seriously. We honestly don't know the severity of the situation because we never hear about the failed attempts, the plots that are foiled by those who we know very little about. There's a saying about the intelligence services; that we only remember they exist when they make a mistake. So far, they seem to be doing a sterling job but that doesn't mean the risks aren't deceptively large.

I think it's very simplified to claim that it's the poorest in society, it's more likely those that are isolated and/or in micro-societies which are British in only location - neither culture or attitude. It's worth remembering that the very fact someone can make it to Syria means they had money, those schoolgirls from Bethnal Green were meant to have stolen £1000 to fund their trip. Similarly, we've even had an MP's son try and join the fight. Finance probably isn't the best indicator.

You are definitely right in that the step forward is to combine intelligence efforts with getting amongst the communities that are at risk, and ensuring that they're included in society as a whole. One of the Muslim victims of 7/7 has since spent her time doing exactly that, but sadly it's not a story heard that often. However, I do feel we should stop pandering to other cultures and making such allowances/exceptions for them - when it's these things which are creating a gap in society. The issue is, we've been doing it for so long that those who we've made the allowances for are now as British as you and I and we're powerless to revert the damage that's already been done.

I don’t know for certain, but I would suspect that the terrorists want retaliation from us. And the greater the atrocity, the more understandable that reaction is. Unfortunately, I think they want us to bomb them or withdraw religious freedoms so that they can recruit (brainwash) more angry young people to their cause. They make it very difficult for us not to react in the way they want as the atrocities are inhuman and disgusting, but our first consideration should be, ‘how do they want us to react’ and ensure we don’t do what they want.

If there was a button that we could push that would get rid of IS, I'd gladly push it. But you have to make sure that they are not replaced before you do. The reaction to the twin towers atrocity didn't do anything but make things worse.

I agree to a large extent.

Every time they try something they are looking for a reaction, and unfortunately they wont be far off getting one soon. We were fortunate in that after 7/7 one of the most memorable things was the social media campaign with people posting photos of themselves on public transport with messages like 'we're not afraid'.

However, fast forward to Lee Rigby's murder and we had the likes of the EDL and Britain First taking to the streets to simply incite hatred and attack anything 'a little foreign looking'. That is the response the attackers want: it's perfect ammunition to make even the most 'moderate' of Muslim's feel under attack. It's like Luftur Rahman, the Tower Hamlets of mayor done for election fraud, it came out that he used the EDL rallies (and, it has been suggested, enabled them to occur) going through Tower Hamlets to maximum effect - because it brought the community closer to him as they looked at him as a defender.

We are in a precarious situation, but arguably at home it's equally due to the likes of the EDL. If we suffered another attack on the scale of 7/7 the immediate aftermath would be horrific, emergency services would no doubt be struggling to control the immediate situation and you can guarantee that EDL/BF thugs will appear at mosques within hours. The bad guys could not only claim a victory in striking out at the Kuffar but could also enjoy the increased strain in community relations, which would act as a double recruitment boost.

We need calm heads and a unified community - that's how we beat this situation; unfortunately that does mean the removal of those who refuse to become part of the community.
  • Remove choudry from our country and show that those that show support to these people are not tolerated within our society , find and remove those that tweet and face book that they like and support the actions of terrorists and these scum,

Drop them over the mountains of Pakistan with a parachute and their belongings and let them crack on
  • Also stop the showing of the videos of these people and their actions, giving them air time that they crave
  • Peace was achieved in Ireland. Thanks to the courage of the late Mo Mowlem. I recall she was criticised for some of the consessions she made with murderers, but somebody has to rise above the hatred to solve the problem. It is different with IS in that their aims are to expand across the globe so there isn’t any room to negotiate, but you can do so with the muslim community that allowed this to happen and is starting to realise what a monster and a threat to themselves it is. That is where the answer will lie.

Peace has been achieved in NI by a fucking great wall between the catholics and protestants. It's 6 miles long and up to 40ft high. At 8pm steel gates are closed separating the two communities. Schools are segregated, even sunday football is segregated.

I'm not sure if this is what we want here.
  • Remove choudry from our country and show that those that show support to these people are not tolerated within our society , find and remove those that tweet and face book that they like and support the actions of terrorists and these scum,

Drop them over the mountains of Pakistan with a parachute and their belongings and let them crack on

surely you mean't without a parachute?
  • It's a sad state of affairs when a monster like Choudary is free to move about, say and do whatever he wants and our security forces are powerless to stop him. He knows exactly where the line is in terms of what he can get away with and has been walking pretty much on it for years now without falling off. I'd almost admire him if he wasn't such an utter scumbag.
  • Sponsored links:

surely you mean't without a parachute?

Didn't say it had to work or be without great big cuts in the silk
  • Peace was achieved in Ireland. Thanks to the courage of the late Mo Mowlem. I recall she was criticised for some of the consessions she made with murderers, but somebody has to rise above the hatred to solve the problem. It is different with IS in that their aims are to expand across the globe so there isn’t any room to negotiate, but you can do so with the muslim community that allowed this to happen and is starting to realise what a monster and a threat to themselves it is. That is where the answer will lie.

Peace has been achieved in NI by a fucking great wall between the catholics and protestants. It's 6 miles long and up to 40ft high. At 8pm steel gates are closed separating the two communities. Schools are segregated, even sunday football is segregated.

When was that wall built? Peace doesn't mean there is no longer prejudice - it means the IRA aren't bombing us every other week and the Irish aren't murdering each other every week too. Some stuff still goes on and both sides still largely hate each other but you have to let time do it's work on some of that.
  • edited June 2015

Peace was achieved in Ireland. Thanks to the courage of the late Mo Mowlem. I recall she was criticised for some of the consessions she made with murderers, but somebody has to rise above the hatred to solve the problem. It is different with IS in that their aims are to expand across the globe so there isn’t any room to negotiate, but you can do so with the muslim community that allowed this to happen and is starting to realise what a monster and a threat to themselves it is. That is where the answer will lie.

I agree, NI isn't the best example.

- Council spending is pretty high because if one community gets a fancy new leisure centre you sure as hell want the other community to get one just as good.

- There are continual security threats such that if it was the mainland you'd have COBRA permanently meeting.

- Police and other security personnel are still advised to take precautions that are unheard of in a civilised society; i.e being in the UK but being allowed to carry your firearm off duty.

- Arriving by airport you're subjected to security checks more severe than quite a few other EU/UK airports.

- All the concessions provided to the likes of the IRA have done is increase anger on other sides. Unfortunately it's the norm and not really reported on.

It's somewhere I dissuaded my girlfriend from visiting with me because it's simply hassle and I don't want to take her safety in to consideration to simply visit family.

NI is a good example of somewhere which wont get better (at least, I doubt in my life time) because the children growing up in a lot of areas are still segregated, even if it's just down to school choice. They wont make friends and attachments with those from other groups and hatred will simply be passed down. This is why I feel we need to break down the barriers that you can see in areas like Whitechapel and Luton, and prevent anything like this from developing in the mainland.

It does go back to the point you make though, it takes rising above the hatred and confronting the issues head on - even if it means taking difficult decisions; if anything we should be in a better bargaining position because IS are simply a totally new level of murderous savages and it I doubt there's anywhere near the level of support for them that there were for the various factions in NI.

When was that wall built? Peace doesn't mean there is no longer prejudice - it means the IRA aren't bombing us every other week and the Irish aren't murdering each other every week too. Some stuff still goes on and both sides still largely hate each other but you have to let time do it's work on some of that.
    Sadly, about 20 years or so they've gone from 18 'Peace Walls' to 48; with plans to remove them in the next 10 years or so.

Here's a picture from Wikipedia, that thing that looks like a fort at the end of the wall is actually a Police station.
  • You are not getting bombed every other week because of Northern Ireland. Anybody of my age will remember how it was.
  • edited June 2015

You are not getting bombed every other week because of Northern Ireland. Anybody of my age will remember how it was.

And anybody with family out there or whom has visited recently will likely tell you how it is now.

It's progressed, sure, but it's far from ideal. I'm sure these Police Officers will not share your views about it's relative safety: (The Guardian). Or a quick view at the first page of the Belfast Telegraph that shows a campaigner being beaten on his doorstep by an IRA sympathiser, sectarian attacks in East Belfast and reports that an investigation in to a murder turned up professional assassins and IRA drugs money!

I've been agreeing with you, I just don't think Northern Ireland is something that should be viewed as a total success and something we should aim to achieve again. It's brilliant that it's unrecognizable in comparison to the 70s - but it's far from idyllic green fields and a blue print for preventing segregation and violence.
  • NI is an example that any sort of progression that can be made in this situation will take decades, and decades be full of bending over backwards and allowing murderers to walk freely among us is what we need to accept, but and this is from someone who does understand the situation there , its a hell of a lot better today than it was ten years ago but it is far from a peaceful forgiving and successful example of peace, and the biggest lessons to learn from it is the mistakes that were made to achieve this
  • Anyone who thinks appeasement will sort this out is sadly deluded. The West has been bending over backwards to welcome and integrate it's Muslim community for decades. Where do we see the outrage at such atrocities from the Muslim community en masse? Where do we see the marches and banners condemning such actions, and a calling for peace? Our accommodating kindness is sadly seen as a weakness that is now being exploited. Tunisia has now seen the light and is closing down the Mosques. Mosques belong in Muslim countries, Churches in Christian countries. Of course we all know moderate Muslims, including my wife, who pose no threat and hate what is happening. But it could be argued that in doing so, they are not strictly following the teachings of the Koran, whilst the terrorists are.

I presume your wife marches up and down your street with banners ?
  • edited June 2015

Anyone who thinks appeasement will sort this out is sadly deluded. The West has been bending over backwards to welcome and integrate it's Muslim community for decades. Where do we see the outrage at such atrocities from the Muslim community en masse? Where do we see the marches and banners condemning such actions, and a calling for peace? Our accommodating kindness is sadly seen as a weakness that is now being exploited. Tunisia has now seen the light and is closing down the Mosques. Mosques belong in Muslim countries, Churches in Christian countries. Of course we all know moderate Muslims, including my wife, who pose no threat and hate what is happening. But it could be argued that in doing so, they are not strictly following the teachings of the Koran, whilst the terrorists are.

I presume your wife marches up and down your street with banners ?
    Freely mixing with people from other backgrounds and refusing to wear clothes that scream how opposed you are to your host country usually suffices.

• The threat comes from those that use the radical version of Islam to fulfill their non religious aims. ISIS uses the ideology to recruit but that is not the real issue in my mind.

What is the issue is who funds ISIS. The west set them up to fight in Syria but who keeps them going financially now? Who arms them? Who buys their Iraqi oil (twitter gossip is Israel for one)

Our Government seems to gloss over this probably because the funders are allies in the Middle East?

• But to solve a problem you must look to the future not the past. The solution is to stop radicalisation. Let the Imams and the muslim community sort this out as white middle aged people/politicians will only make worse. Our job is to support the muslim community to win the battle with fundamentalism.

Islam is a fundamentalist religion - as was Christianity before The Enlightenment. The great awakening in the 18th and 19th centuries established personal choice and tolerance and a questioning of the religious doctrines. Science was one of the causes that lead to questioning the absolute word of God, as was the Black Death - if one in three people die you tend to question the master plan!

There has not been a single word changed in the Qur'an since it was written (there are four bibles!) and it is faithfully believed to be the word of God. There is no equivalent Pope in Islam to voice changes to church doctrine - the Qur'an is absolute.

Unless and until there is an equivalent enlightenment there is nothing the Muslim community can do to stop fundamentalists. Peace loving Muslims (the overwhelming majority) choose to moderate the call to arms against the unbeliever in terms of their own moral compass - the tiny, tiny minority choose not to.