Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hello Dog Owners

Big question:

I'm really torn between two very different dogs but i'm deciding between my dream dog a Shiba Inu and a dog I always wanted before that - a Border Terrier.

Has anyone owned a Shiba Inu?

Shiba's are beautiful but shedding is apparently a real issue.

Borders are 'cute' in a rugged way but rarely shed heavily and you can give them hair cuts... NO HIGHLIGHTS.

Apparently they have similar training pros and cons. The Mrs will allow either of these looks and training wise also but the shedding scares us both.

As such I'm split.

I also need it to be a decent jogging companion...

What are your opinions and suggestion on decent dogs for small homes that can run daily and obviously that the Mrs will like the look of.

Comments

• Options
    Shiba Inu
    imageShiba Inu" />
  • Options
    Get one of each. Problem solved.

..........you're welcome!!
  • Options
    Border Terrier
  • Options
    BORDER TERRIER
  • Options
    Border terrier the other one looks like a fox
  • Options
    Shiba Inu
  • Options
    Have you thought of a Schnauzer mate? They shed twice a year and are great dogs. Chilled around other people and really good with kids

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Stdschnauzersblkps.JPG
  • Options
    I wanted a Border Terrier, six year after my beloved Boxer died.

I did all the planning, worked on the wife etc, etc ........ We now have a black pug called Gnasher!
  • Options

Have you thought of a Schnauzer mate? They shed twice a year and are great dogs. Chilled around other people and really good with kids

The inn laws had one and it was a great dog
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a schnauzer and can only whole hearted agree they are fantastic pets
  • Options
    Dazzler - we have been looking at getting a Border Terrier. We decided on a Border after a lot of research because of temperment, amount of exercise, coat etc but because we are out all day at work and cannot therefore litter train it or give a puppy the amount of time it initially requires we have had to shelve that plan. However, from a breeder we found we are probably going to have an eighteen month old bitch that he has once she has produced one last litter. However, in the course of our search I have spoken to a number of breeders. If you want a Border I know of a couple of pups that are going to be ready for a new home around 18th September from a breeder in Horsham, West Sussex. Not cheap though, £800 but KC registered, from excellent lines etc. If you want further details let me know. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
  • Options

We have a Schnauzer (medium) she's 9 now, I've had many breeds of dog and the Schnauzer is by far the best dog I've had, as CD says great around kids, bloody intelligent, and a good house dog....oh yes they can balance frisbees as well.......
  • Options
    Further, from what I have understood you can't give a Border a haircut. They need to be hand stripped, twice a year, which you can do yourself or get someone else to do. If you give them a haircut you are removing the top coat, the waterproof coat.
  • Options
    I would love a pug. Missus hates them though. :o(
  • Options
    WSAWSA
    edited September 2014
    From friends experience : beware visiting Border Terrier in the vicinity of chickens on Christmas day. Border Terrier won.
  • Options
    The other day I found out my girlfriends dog absolutely loses its sh*t if you say the word cat, it's led to countless hours of fun.
  • Options
    A friend has a Boston Terrier - wicked dog
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I like schnauzers too especially when they have the white goatee going on!

The mrs likes that rugged homeless look of a border terrier...or pristeen dashing fox like look of the Shiba.

We're aiming to find maybe a 1-2 yearold in need of rescue or regiment re-homing (bloody predictive) so could face a training challenge!

As a dog is for life I don't want to rush into anything. I want to make the best decision for all 3 of us.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

The mrs likes that rugged homeless look of a border terrier...or pristeen dashing fox like look of the Shiba.

We're aiming to find maybe a 1-2 yearold in need of rescue or regiment so could face a training challenge!

As a dog is for life I don't want to rush into anything. I want to make the best decision for all 3 of us.</</b>blockquote>

very wise and sensible.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a terrier show at Maidstone on Sunday where you shold be able to talk to Border Terrier breeders. The Show starts at 10am and most of the breed judging is complete by 1pm. The show is in the Lockmeadow Market Hall ME16 8LW.
  • Options
    The web site of the Border Terrier Rescue
    http://www.borderterrierwelfare.co.uk/

The web site of Shiba Inu Rescue
    http://www.japaneseshibainurescue.co.uk/
  • Options
    Dont give your money to a dog breeder. It only encourages them. An 18 month old dog is only just out of puppyhood. (Not intended as a dig LA). There's a lot of dogs out there needing homes...some of them have issues, but so might a £300 pedigree pup.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

We're aiming to find maybe a 1-2 yearold in need of rescue or regiment so could face a training challenge!

As a dog is for life I don't want to rush into anything. I want to make the best decision for all 3 of us.</</b>blockquote>

very wise and sensible.

How long does the average dog live for ?
  • Options

Dont give your money to a dog breeder. It only encourages them. An 18 month old dog is only just out of puppyhood. (Not intended as a dig LA). There's a lot of dogs out there needing homes...some of them have issues, but so might a £300 pedigree pup.

Note to self: read the f***ng thread before writing...
  • Options
    If you do choose a schnauzer and want to go down the age group you said, my breeder is one of the schnauzer rescue re homers, send me a pm and I will put you in touch

D
  • Options
    Any ideas on a dog that is 1) a good guarddog 2) good with kids 3) doesnt moult much.
    Was thinking along the lines of Spaniel (although not sure about guarddog bit).
    Dog or bitch ??
    Not asking much.!
    That Shibu looks good.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Any ideas on a dog that is 1) a good guarddog 2) good with kids 3) doesnt moult much.
    Was thinking along the lines of Spaniel (although not sure about guarddog bit).
    Dog or bitch ??
    Not asking much.!
    That Shibu looks good.

Read up on Weimaraners or Vizslas.

Both gun dogs so are loyal and intelligent, good with kids and short haired, although the Weimaraner suffers separation insecurity so isn't good if you're going to leave it alone for long periods.

My grandad always said get bitch dogs and Tom cats.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    +1 for Vizslas. We've got a 15 month old Wirehaired and he's fantastic. Possibly a bit on the large side though, depending on what you're after.
  • Options

If you can get a pedigree puppy for 300 quid you haven't done your research, I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are bad rescues and bad breeders. Telephone any advertised puppy seller and ask what the breeders Affix is and research the name given. If they haven't got one or spin you a load of dogsh*te put the phone down.... If there's no demand, there's no need to supply. The latest craze of designer dogs, cockerpoo, labradoodles are crossbreeds or mongrels and people are paying £800/£900 for these dogs and they may just as well be a result of a chance meeting in the street. These dogs are bred purely for money in my opinion and five years ago were available for £50.
    As for encouraging breeders to breed, in the case of my dogs breeder Affix "Tramella" only dogs with full haemophilia health checks in Dogs and hip and elbow scores in both dogs and bitches are used to improve the health of the dogs. So much so, Bailey does have 4-6 hips 0-0 elbows and JJ potentially does (to young to be X-rayed) better health than their parents. As for rescues......... The rescue I got Xena from have not contacted me since I collected her from her foster Mum, in fact the last question I was asked by that rescue was, have you sent the £250 to our account. So I could say don't use rescues as they appear to only be interested in your money, but that wouldn't be true in a lot of cases.