Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hello Dog Owners

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Dan
  • Options
    Had a Border for 14 years, like kids difficult to say you have a favourite but Rory was without a doubt the best dog we have had the pleasure to own.
    Boxers, Springers, Jacks and a few others of questionable parentage have all shared our home but my advice is get yourself a Border Terrier.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Viszla looked good, but then noticed this site said they weren't good with kids.
    http://dog-breeds.findthebest.com/l/156/Vizsla
  • Options

Viszla looked good, but then noticed this site said they weren't good with kids.
    http://dog-breeds.findthebest.com/l/156/Vizsla

I've got friends with Vizlas and they're both soppy as hell with the kids

Dogs are the product if their upbringing
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I like schnauzers too especially when they have the white goatee going on!

The mrs likes that rugged homeless look of a border terrier...or pristeen dashing fox like look of the Shiba.

We're aiming to find maybe a 1-2 yearold in need of rescue or regiment re-homing (bloody predictive) so could face a training challenge!

As a dog is for life I don't want to rush into anything. I want to make the best decision for all 3 of us.

Dazzler, most rescues won't let you rush into a decision. Firstly you will be homechecked by someone like me, I homecheck for 2 or 3 Shep rescues. Yours will be experienced whatever breed you choose to rehome. They will not only be looking for your suitability but also your home, your garden and it's security. Asking questions about training and exercise etc. Then if you pass that bit, a dog will matched to your circumstances. Do you have children,cats, that sort of thing. Sometimes you are very lucky, but often rescues use the delay in matching you with a dog as a sort of cooling off period. Good luck it sounds like your approaching it the right way.

• Options
    How about Bulldog or Boxer or Pyrennean Mountain Dog?
  • Options
    Mr President, I won't comment on other breeds as my knowledge is limited. But that website based on the German Shepherd dog item is sure spouting some shite.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Mr President, I won't comment on other breeds as my knowledge is limited. But that website based on the German Shepherd dog item is sure spouting some shite.

ok thanks TCE i'll bear that in mind.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Likewise their view of Weimaraners.

My grandparents had them and they were more loyal and protective of us grand kids than they were of their owners.

Misty (my favourite) once bit wasps of my jeans when I accidentally trod on a wasps nest despite the fact she was also being stung.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there a better website that anyone can recommend?
  • Options
    What is you want to do, research a particular breed of dog?
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

yes.
  • Options
    Me and my girlfriend have a cavapoo - a cross between a King Charles cavalier and a poodle. When we got him we noticed a few things wrong with him, kennel cough, ear infection, worms. Took him to the vets and turns out he was puppy farmed.

He is a brilliant little pup though. 8 months old now. They don't moult, they have a very good temperament, good with kids and are cute as anything.

My brother and my dad say 'he's the happiest dog in the world'.

• Options

T.C.E said:

yes.
    http://www.vizsla.org.uk
  • Options
    another vote for Schnauzers.

our one is almost human in its mannerisms.
  • Options

Me and my girlfriend have a cavapoo - a cross between a King Charles cavalier and a poodle. When we got him we noticed a few things wrong with him, kennel cough, ear infection, worms. Took him to the vets and turns out he was puppy farmed.

He is a brilliant little pup though. 8 months old now. They don't moult, they have a very good temperament, good with kids and are cute as anything.

I'm so sorry for what has happened, he looks a happy little fella and hopefully he's over the illnesses and goes on to share many happy years with you both. You be equally as lucky with a puppy farm dog as you can with a well bred, well researched Pedigree dog.
  • Options
    Sorry but I am commenting without reading all posts but, with any dog you should always consider how much time you have to meet their needs.

if you cant commit to being there for long walks ect then go with a dog that requires less of your time, I have seen mates convince themselves that they'll make the time and ultimately it's the dog that suffers.
  • Options
    My aunt has 5 poodles. Cracking dogs to be fair. They do need grooming every other month but they have bags of energy and they don't moult so you don't have to hoover up every day.
  • Options

Sorry but I am commenting without reading all posts but, with any dog you should always consider how much time you have to meet their needs.

if you cant commit to being there for long walks ect then go with a dog that requires less of your time, I have seen mates convince themselves that they'll make the time and ultimately it's the dog that suffers.

I can't disagree with any of that. I remember being asked by someone who had a German Shepherd, what he could do as he didn't have time to walk him.......
    The only advice I could give if he couldn't change his routine, was to rehome the dog. It's that simple, I spend 3 to four hours a day with my dogs and my wife is home all day to allow them to roam the garden. Twice a week they go to training classes and I train with as individual's five days a week. If I have to leave them for in excess of two hours they are moved to a 26' outside kennels from their indoor sleeping quarters. But some may say my dogs are spoilt, others may say I'm doing it correctly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

I'm so sorry for what has happened, he looks a happy little fella and hopefully he's over the illnesses and goes on to share many happy years with you both. You be equally as lucky with a puppy farm dog as you can with a well bred, well researched Pedigree dog.
    Cheers TCE. He is doing well at the moment and his training is coming along well. Just need him to stop eating shoes! Yeah he's a very happy dog and loves chasing tennis balls.

He wasn't happy that we had his nuts taken off though, wouldn't move from this position when I brought him home for two hours, then went to my mrs for sympathy

• Options
    Most dogs make good pets with the right owner!
  • Options

Aren't King Charles the ones who have been engineered to have small skulls to the point that they die prematurely because their brain doesn't know to stop growing?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Aren't King Charles the ones who have been engineered to have small skulls to the point that they die prematurely because their brain doesn't know to stop growing?
    Yes they are, what point are you trying make.
  • Options
    Just a question; don't get defensive about whatever it is you are about to get defensive about.
  • Options
    Not defensive at at all, you asked a question and possibly the only thing I know about that Breed was the answer I gave you and then I asked you a question.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I can't wait, me and her indoors are having the final discussions this week end.

I don't think Shiba Inu will win, purely because of the shedding and complexity of learning.

She really doesn't like the Schnauzer (poor thing)..

So Border Terrier it's most likely going to be...

We have been stuck deciding between for months and I can't wait for the final discussions to facilitate the potential transfer.

She really wants a puppy with whatever we get though which takes the wind out of my 'hero rescuing a young kid(dog) off the streets' feeling.

Then medical and tour of our facilities and hopefully the signing of the little fella/sheila.

Once that's done, it's time to think of names as fella and sheila won't work...
  • Options
    dog-Charlton
    bitch-Cherub
  • Options
    I have a retired Greyhound & there are plenty out there who deserve loving homes :-

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/adopt-a-greyhound/
  • Options
    Sam lloyd said:

I have a retired Greyhound & there are plenty out there who deserve loving homes :-

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/adopt-a-greyhound/

Great dogs - I had two.

My favourite dogs have been my Griffon Bruxellois. Easy to train. Love people and kids. Good watchdogs - rubbish guard dogs :) Really loyal and fit in easily with any lifestyle.