Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hello Dog Owners

Comments

• Options
    Yes they really are great dogs JC. I'm a volunteer for the Retired Greyhound Trust & can be found down at the RGT shop at Sittingbourne Stadium most non-match days with my "Grey" Joey. The biggest misconception about these fantastic dogs is that they need a lot of exercise when in actual fact they only require two 20 minutes walk a day. They're not called 40mph couch potatoes for nothing - bless them ;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I got a collie cross springer as I love the smell of soaking wet dog towel around the house and never having a moment to just sit around doing f*** all without being made to feel guilty. Or was that my ex? Whatever.
  • Options
    Sam lloyd said:

I have a retired Greyhound & there are plenty out there who deserve loving homes :-

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/adopt-a-greyhound/

Bit big are those guys!
  • Options
    I have a border terrier.

Absolutely adorable dogs. However, they love attention which is a good thing in some ways!

Wouldn't swap her for any other dog!

• Options

I got a collie cross springer as I love the smell of soaking wet dog towel around the house and never having a moment to just sit around doing f*** all without being made to feel guilty. Or was that my ex? Whatever.

These are the dogs nuts mate, three dogs dried in 20 minutes ;)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141371929500?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
  • Options
    Best family dog we had, and we had plenty, was a Manchester Terrier.
    Short haired and low maintenance. Also, lived longest.
  • Options

Best family dog we had, and we had plenty, was a Manchester Terrier.
    Short haired and low maintenance. Also, lived longest.

Lovely looking dog, looks very Doberman like. Is it?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yes T.C.E. They're stunning. The dog was my parents. We got her when I was about 10 and I reckon I was about 30 when she died.
    I think they are an old breed and if I remember rightly were used in the breeding of Dobermans.
  • Options
    I wanted a Border terrier but the kids won hands down now I have an English Bulldog aptly named Valley she is superb but she cost a fortune ,Border terriers are quality and u can get em at a decent price.
  • Options
    boogica said:

I wanted a Border terrier but the kids won hands down now I have an English Bulldog aptly named Valley she is superb but she cost a fortune ,Border terriers are quality and u can get em at a decent price.

True. It's an obvious consideration. But at one time my folks were paying a lot of money for Bloodhounds. Two out of three died aged 4 because the breed can have a congenital defect which they had. Vet bills horrendous. Then they went for longevity. Really researched breeders and spent a lot of time as it was pre-internet era. They found a breeder in Hampshire with great pedigree and got a dog that was 20 I think when it died. So in the end they got value for money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get two dogs to keep each other company and the smaller the better...remember, 'small dogs, small poos, big dogs, big poos'
  • Options
    If you do get a small dog please please please please please train it not to yap hysterically at everything that comes within 50 yards - so many owners don't train them because they are small and they can just tug on their 20 foot long retractable leads to pull them away. Meanwhile owners of big dogs in the vicinity have to deal with their dogs starting to get arsy as a result. (Oh hang on, I think we covered this in another thread, didn't we...)
  • Options

Get two dogs to keep each other company and the smaller the better...remember, 'small dogs, small poos, big dogs, big poos'

Cheap nasty dog food will produce huge dumps, quality or raw food will produce less waste. Trust me, one of the first things learnt about dogs was shite. ;)

If you do get a small dog please please please please please train it not to yap hysterically at everything that comes within 50 yards - so many owners don't train them because they are small and they can just tug on their 20 foot long retractable leads to pull them away. Meanwhile owners of big dogs in the vicinity have to deal with their dogs starting to get arsy as a result. (Oh hang on, I think we covered this in another thread, didn't we...)

*Huge round of applause* ;)
  • Options

Pug no contest.

I'll raise you, the Deutsche Schäferhunde. ;)
  • Options
    Can't beat my Staffy Beck's just loves people and especially kids.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Pug no contest.

I'll raise you, the Deutsche Schäferhunde. ;)
    Lol
  • Options
    Mrs wants a boo dog. Personally want a daschund but my mate who does experiments on them says it too cruel to have them.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Meet Diego - the only Diego I'd welcome to my home.

He is a 6 month old rescue Shiba inu - I'm so pleased.
  • Options
    He does pinch random things though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoy him Dazzler !

Sad to read about that dogs home fire in Manchester
  • Options
    I am involved in the launch this weekend of Kent Pet Care, a new range of seven products based upon the cleaning advantages of microfibre. The quality is excellent, and the prices affordable, the packaging is well designed and the range will start to appear in Pet Shops and Stores at the start of October. Look out for the attractive display stands. I will be pleased to hear your thoughts in due course.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Border...every day! My boy 'Secker'
  • Options
    Such a random creature!
  • Options
    TCE - I see Large suggested that he may be getting a young pooch despite him and his missus being at work all day (and presumably nobody else at home?).

We want a dog but thought it would be unfair on it to leave it at home all day on its jack so ultimately dismissed the idea.

You mentioned that you carry out visits to potential new homes for rescue dogs so I wondered what the general consensus is on this (and I appreciate some breeds would be more affected than others).

• Options
    Boom said:

TCE - I see Large suggested that he may be getting a young pooch despite him and his missus being at work all day (and presumably nobody else at home?).

We want a dog but thought it would be unfair on it to leave it at home all day on its jack so ultimately dismissed the idea.

You mentioned that you carry out visits to potential new homes for rescue dogs so I wondered what the general consensus is on this (and I appreciate some breeds would be more affected than others).

A dog should not be left alone for more than 3 maybe 4 hours, some rescues would not allow even that. I would never rehome a German Shepherd under those conditions, being an intelligent breed they will destroy a home in minutes out of boredom. Puppies should not be left for more than two hours MAX......
    I always ask the same question. Sit in a chair alone with no TV, radio, books, iPads no nothing. How long before you were bored?
    I think I've said before, if left alone for up to two hours JJ and Xena will be crated, with Bailey who has the run of the house roaming free. A TV is left on if Bailey decides he's going upstairs and a radio downstairs for JJ and Xena. Anymore than two hours the dogs are moved to their 26' outside kennels where they can stretch their legs, play with assorted toys or together the choice is theirs. Full grown Dogs (not puppies) if left alone will do damage, the longer you leave them to entertain themselves the more damage they will do. You are the focal point of their life, you feed them, love them, entertain them and keep them healthy in return you will be rewarded beyond your expectation.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Meet Diego - the only Diego I'd welcome to my home.

He is a 6 month old rescue Shiba inu - I'm so pleased.

Lovely looking boy Dazzler, what rescue did he come from?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Border terrier! I have one and a Yorkshire terrier brilliant dogs
  • Options
    Thanks TCE.

Annoying because we both love dogs but realistically we know it wouldn't be fair on the pooch. Confirmed what we thought really unfortunately!
  • Options
    Boom said:

Thanks TCE.

Annoying because we both love dogs but realistically we know it wouldn't be fair on the pooch. Confirmed what we thought really unfortunately!

Another option could be to get someone to come round during the middle of the day to take the dog out?

Dog walking businesses seem to be quite popular now. I know a bit about it as my wife does the same thing in central London, and she has had clients who work all day and so wanted to know that she would be there around a certain time in the middle of the day to take the dog out for an hour or so.