Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UK Border Police - there to protect you from..er..me, it seems.

Comments

• Options
    Riscardo said:

Er, welcome to my world

They're just jealous of your sense of fashion! They want to dress like you.
  • Options
    Chizz, seriously, regardless of what EU rules say, do YOU think it's acceptable for the UK to allow a convicted murderer to come into this country?
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

I saw on the BBC news today that the Latvian builder that is wanted for questioning in the disappearance of that 14 year old girl is actually a convicted murderer. How did he get into this country? Do we have to accept foreign criminals under the freedom of movement in Europe? He was also arrested in 2009 for sexually assaulting a 14 year old girl, but not charged.
    These are the people the border police should be protecting us from!

Filth man should never have been allowed in but there's too mAny do gooders in this place that bang on about human rights and wanna get shafted in the process by the EU, how dare our citizens travel to work safe in the knowledge that they ain't gonna get murdered by some foreigner that we accepted with open arms probably gave a house to and some benefits
    OK, ignoring the sheer guesswork that's gone into that sentence ("murdered by some foreigner...", "probably gave a house to..."), can I ask you what could have been done to prevent him entering the UK? We're in the EU, citizens have free rights to move from country to country. When you say he "should never have been allowed in", what law would you have chosen to enforce that?
    The fact that the man is a convicted murderer he should not have been allowed in the country, America Australia would not have let him in, then to abuse a 14 yr old girl while here coupled with his past he should of been shipped back to Latvia but no we accept him but I suppose chizz you are one of the do gooders that think its acceptable and we should allow him to walk our streets for fear of in fringing his human right to commit crime on our streets on the British public
    I'll have one more go. What law would you use to prevent him from entering the UK?
  • Options
    Regarding the Latvian guy it seems that he was arrested regarding a possible attempted assault on a girl in Ealing in 2009, but released because the girl could not give a sufficiently substantial account to nail him. At that point, it is not clear if the Met made any effort to look into his Latvian background. However it also seems that there is no automatic sharing of criminal records between EU countries, which seems surprising, so the Met weren't previously aware of his murder rap.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

I saw on the BBC news today that the Latvian builder that is wanted for questioning in the disappearance of that 14 year old girl is actually a convicted murderer. How did he get into this country? Do we have to accept foreign criminals under the freedom of movement in Europe? He was also arrested in 2009 for sexually assaulting a 14 year old girl, but not charged.

Filth man should never have been allowed in but there's too mAny do gooders in this place that bang on about human rights and wanna get shafted in the process by the EU, how dare our citizens travel to work safe in the knowledge that they ain't gonna get murdered by some foreigner that we accepted with open arms probably gave a house to and some benefits
    OK, ignoring the sheer guesswork that's gone into that sentence ("murdered by some foreigner...", "probably gave a house to..."), can I ask you what could have been done to prevent him entering the UK? We're in the EU, citizens have free rights to move from country to country. When you say he "should never have been allowed in", what law would you have chosen to enforce that?
    The fact that the man is a convicted murderer he should not have been allowed in the country, America Australia would not have let him in, then to abuse a 14 yr old girl while here coupled with his past he should of been shipped back to Latvia but no we accept him but I suppose chizz you are one of the do gooders that think its acceptable and we should allow him to walk our streets for fear of in fringing his human right to commit crime on our streets on the British public
    I'll have one more go. What law would you use to prevent him from entering the UK?
    I know very very little about politics but surely this is why parties like UKIP are gaining popularity?

• Options

Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

I know very very little about politics but surely this is why parties like UKIP are gaining popularity?

I'm sure you're right
  • Options
    David Cameron and the rest of the commons need to put their hands in their trousers find their bollox and say scum like him can't come here end of and if there ain't a law then fucking make one stop condoning people like him the fact you are arguing his case says to me you think he is acceptable and you are happy for a man like him to walk the same streets as my children
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

David Cameron and the rest of the commons need to put their hands in their trousers find their bollox and say scum like him can't come here end of and if there ain't a law then fucking make one stop condoning people like him the fact you are arguing his case says to me you think he is acceptable and you are happy for a man like him to walk the same streets as my children

Absolute rubbish. I have not said anything to condone him. You cannot throw that accusation at me.

I am only highlighting the fact that there seems to be no law to prevent someone with a serious criminal record from entering the country.

Do not accuse me of saying something I didn't.
  • Options
    Put yourself chizz in the shoes of that poor girls parents and tell me you are happy for that man to be free to walk our streets
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Fiiish said:

They've probably received a top-down directive from the Home Office regarding questioning people leaving the country in case they're going out to join IS, unfortunately due to how badly top-down communications are delivered in the public sector, they probably interrogate every 50th person instead of applying a common sense approach. Also our terror level alert has been raised so I imagine some pen-pushing busybody has introduced 'enhanced checks' to make it look like to their boss that they're doing something.

Why don't you have a night off slating the public sector?
    Maybe when the public sector achieves the kind of service level that represents the monstrous level of taxpayer investment it gets. When will you have a night off following the threads I've posted in just to snipe at me and not actually add to the discussion?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

Put yourself chizz in the shoes of that poor girls parents and tell me you are happy for that man to be free to walk our streets

The problem is that we did not get the info that he has a serious criminal record, and even then, he had served his time.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    smiffyboy said:

It may well be that he has something to do with her disappearance. But whether he has or not, the girl's parents will be going through a shocking, dreadful time and my thoughts are with them.

I hope you don't think I am condoning this person. I hope you don't think I would want to stand up for someone who has committed a crime. And I hope you don't think that this story is anything other than a horrible experience for the girl's family and everyone she knows.

But I also hope you stop making out that I might be on his side. I hope you stop making wild assumptions about what might have happened. And I hope you don't forget that the rule of law in this country is that people are innocent until proven guilty.

But my question remains: what law would you enforce that would prevent him from entering the UK?
  • Options
    Same going into the States. Those guys scare the hell out of me. "Are you here to work?" "No...yes, well, a little, but it's not really work, I mean... yes it's through work, but no I'm not being paid for coming here specifically, and I'm going home tomorrow, it's more like a day out to me, but some might say it's work. It's really not though, it's like a day visit to something to do with work...." *silently stares at me* "Should I just turn round and go back home?"
  • Options
    I'm currently in Marrakech and didn't receive any questioning like that. Odd.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

It may well be that he has something to do with her disappearance. But whether he has or not, the girl's parents will be going through a shocking, dreadful time and my thoughts are with them.

I hope you don't think I am condoning this person. I hope you don't think I would want to stand up for someone who has committed a crime. And I hope you don't think that this story is anything other than a horrible experience for the girl's family and everyone she knows.

But I also hope you stop making out that I might be on his side. I hope you stop making wild assumptions about what might have happened. And I hope you don't forget that the rule of law in this country is that people are innocent until proven guilty.

Buy my question remains: what law would you enforce that would prevent him from entering the UK?
    Put in place a law that states the UK has the right to refuse entry to ANY none UK citizen.

Now I'm guessing that can't be put in place while we are part of the EU?
  • Options
    @Chizz

I agree with all you said, but it seems there is a problem whereby EU countries don't automatically share with each other the criminal records of their citizens. Which is surprising when you think of all the data collecting, and the allegedly sophisticated passports we all have to carry. If the Met had known about his murder rap, they might have taken a different approach to him in the Ealing case.

I am a big pro EU citizen, but this is clearly something that needs to be tightened up. Then the Border Police could do something useful, instead of asking me questions about what kind of consultancy I run in Prague.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

But my question remains: what law would you enforce that would prevent him from entering the UK?
    Sigh.

This is exactly the same as the Ched Evans thread, where a select minority of posters wanted Ched to receive the death penalty and anyone who didn't was, according to them, a supporter of sex offenders.
  • Options
    Chizz all I ask is why you keep fighting against why the man should be here in the first place having the past he does. I'm not a politician so I don't know what law we could use, the whole system is flawed right or wrong if you have a past we should not let them in, the only way to stop this is to stand on our own two feet make our own rules and safe gaurd or own borders and stand up and defend our brothers and sisters
  • Options

@Chizz

I agree with all you said, but it seems there is a problem whereby EU countries don't automatically share with each other the criminal records of their citizens. Which is surprising when you think of all the data collecting, and the allegedly sophisticated passports we all have to carry. If the Met had known about his murder rap, they might have taken a different approach to him in the Ealing case.

I am a big pro EU citizen, but this is clearly something that needs to be tightened up. Then the Border Police could do something useful, instead of asking me questions about what kind of consultancy I run in Prague.

It's a really interesting question. Do you think EU police forces should share criminal records? And, even if they did, what could be done?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Also it's pretty obvious the man is invoved it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work it out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

Buy my question remains: what law would you enforce that would prevent him from entering the UK?
    Put in place a law that states the UK has the right to refuse entry to ANY none UK citizen.

Gary, presumably you would agree they would have to have a reason?

The point is that he got in here without any alert that he had a murder rap. That's what's wrong. And actually the EU is a body that could fix that, and probably will. Unlike with Russia. We let loads of Russians in now with money - they are encouraged - and no one here enquires what they might have done in Russia in order to make that money.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

The probably received a top-down directive from the Home Office regarding questioning people leaving the country in case they're going out to join IS, unfortunately due to how badly top-down communications are delivered in the public sector, they probably interrogate every 50th person instead of applying a common sense approach. Also our terror level alert has been raised so I imagine some pen-pushing busybody has introduced 'enhanced checks' to make it look like to their boss that they're doing something.

Why don't you have a night off slating the public sector?
    Maybe when the public sector achieves the kind of service level that represents the monstrous level of taxpayer investment it gets. When will you have a night off following the threads I've posted in just to snipe at me and not actually add to the discussion?
    Don't flatter yourself and how the hell do I know what threads you've posted in or not?

As it happens I've suggested to Prague why he may have been 'interviewed' on his way out based on my experience working alongside the police and customs over many years. You've suggested it's some sort of high level, Teresa May inspired, cock up and put forward another one of your anti-public sector prejudices as criticism for a bloke doing his job properly in yet another snidey post aimed at digging out those of us you clearly have such a problem with.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

@Chizz

It's a really interesting question. Do you think EU police forces should share criminal records? And, even if they did, what could be done?
    Definitely we should share criminal records. I was surprised to hear about this problem. After all Europol is one of the EU successes, working to track down British paedophiles who abscond to Spain and elsewhere to escape justice. These bloody biometric passports could easily carry details of serious criminal convictions. That would therefore have meant that when the Met nabbed the guy in 2009, they'd have known straight away about his murder rap.
  • Options
    The law is already there- see this report on Tyson for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25325977

So someone screwed up at border control and probably again when the Met police had a chance to look into his background. Lots of people in positions of responsibility don't do their jobs probably or operate in conditions that stop them doing a good job.

Turning to UKIP, nationalistic policies and suchlike in these circumstances is a bit extreme isn't it?
  • Options

Chizz said:

smiffyboy said:

Gary, presumably you would agree they would have to have a reason?

The point is that he got in here without any alert that he had a murder rap. That's what's wrong. And actually the EU is a body that could fix that, and probably will. Unlike with Russia. We let loads of Russians in now with money - they are encouraged - and no one here enquires what they might have done in Russia in order to make that money.
    Of course. If there is a reason to believe that this man is a danger then don't let him in. I can't understand why it's not that simple.

The fact that no information is shared is a disgrace. I don't know any country where murder is not a criminal offence. So why the secrecy? Why withhold that sort of information from another country.

Maybe I'm being naive or I just don't get it but there is no way that a man with a history of violent crime should be able to live his life in another country. If he's committed that horror crime and Latvia has only imprisoned him for 10 years, then any future offences should be for them to resolve, not us.
  • Options

Chizz said:

@Chizz

Definitely we should share criminal records. I was surprised to hear about this problem. After all Europol is one of the EU successes, working to track down British paedophiles who abscond to Spain and elsewhere to escape justice. These bloody biometric passports could easily carry details of serious criminal convictions. That would therefore have meant that when the Met nabbed the guy in 2009, they'd have known straight away about his murder rap.

Chizz said:

@Chizz

Exactly
  • Options

Chizz said:

@Chizz

(This is absolutely not meant to be a dig at you, but...) on the one hand, you are saying that all police forces across the EU should collect and collate all criminal records about every EU citizen and share them across ever jurisdiction without recourse to what the receiving authority might use the data for... and at the same time, you baulk at having the border police ask you a few innocuous questions.
  • Options
    The Latvians didn't withhold it Gary. There just does not seem to be an automatic system whereby people go abroad and the info is on their passport.

It means that if Ched Evans chooses to live in Spain, the Spanish don't know they have a convicted rapist in their midsts. I think they should know. What is the point of all this biometric passport stuff and asking stupid questions of people like me, if the important info isn't there?
  • Options

Chizz said:

@Chizz

And..? What could the Met have done with that bit of information in that case? If he's guilty of one crime, that doesn't mean he's guilty of another one.
  • Options

The law is already there- see this report on Tyson for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25325977

So someone screwed up at border control and probably again when the Met police had a chance to look into his background. Lots of people in positions of responsibility don't do their jobs probably or operate in conditions that stop them doing a good job.

Turning to UKIP, nationalistic policies and suchlike in these circumstances is a bit extreme isn't it?

Tyson is not from the EU.