Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church 100%

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

As a striker he has scored 3 goals in over 40 league games. Can you tell me of a striker we have had with a worse goal ratio than that in the past 5 years?

Pawell Abbott.

1 in 17 according to Wiki.
    I'd love to know what game that was in. I should be able to remember if it was his only goal
    Parky's last game vs Swindon, to bring the score to 2-4.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Not over the past three years but worst players than Church are the following. Barry Endean, Dick Plumb, Izale McLeod, Chris Dickson, Pawel Abbott.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

• Options
    Barry Endean came to CAFC with a record 28Goals in 77AP, just under 1 in 3.

For Charlton he got 1 in 27 then went back to the 3rd division.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

As a striker he has scored 3 goals in over 40 league games. Can you tell me of a striker we have had with a worse goal ratio than that in the past 5 years?

Pawell Abbott.

I'd love to know what game that was in. I should be able to remember if it was his only goal
    scored against Peterborough.
  • Options

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

Pawell Abbott.

scored against Peterborough.
    I reckon wiki is wrong actually and he scored 2 in more than 17 appearances. I remember he scored a belter v Swindon and a scuffed effort v Peterborough
  • Options
    Didn't Abbott score twice in a league cup game or has my memory completely gone now?!
  • Options

Didn't Abbott score twice in a league cup game or has my memory completely gone now?!

Against Shrewsbury i think? God knows how I remember that, I've tried my best to erase that season from memory.
  • Options
    You're all right. He scored twice for us against Shrewsbury (Martin also scored and we ended up losing that 4-3 after being 3-0 up)

He had a magnificent game vs Peterborough (3-2 win(

Scored a belter against Swindon in a 4-2 defeat (turned out to be Parky's last game)
  • Options
    Shrewsbury 4-3 Charlton
    25 Warner
    02 Francis
    05 Llera
    07 Wagstaff
    15 Mambo (Doherty 71)
    20 Solly
    08 Racon
    10 Martin
    22 Smart (Reid 59)
    26 Stavrinou (A Sodje 82)
    09 Abbott
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carl Leaburn had only scored three goals after 60 games yet he became a cult hero.
  • Options

Shrewsbury 4-3 Charlton
    25 Warner
    02 Francis
    05 Llera
    07 Wagstaff
    15 Mambo (Doherty 71)
    20 Solly
    08 Racon
    10 Martin
    22 Smart (Reid 59)
    09 Abbott

just a quick look at that team shows you how far we have come!
  • Options

Shrewsbury 4-3 Charlton
    25 Warner
    02 Francis05 Llera
    07 Wagstaff
    15 Mambo (Doherty 71)
    20 Solly08 Racon
    10 Martin
    22 Smart (Reid 59)
    09 Abbott

So other than the best attacking RB, and the best overall RB in the Championship, that team would struggle in league 2

• Options

Shrewsbury 4-3 Charlton
    25 Warner
    02 Francis
    05 Llera
    07 Wagstaff
    15 Mambo (Doherty 71)
    20 Solly
    08 Racon
    10 Martin
    22 Smart (Reid 59)
    09 Abbott

Who is number 22? Never heard of him
  • Options
    Billy. He was full of tricks and was a great performer.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Shrewsbury 4-3 Charlton
    25 Warner
    02 Francis
    05 Llera
    07 Wagstaff
    15 Mambo (Doherty 71)
    20 Solly
    08 Racon
    10 Martin
    22 Smart (Reid 59)
    09 Abbott

Who is number 22? Never heard of him
    This guy i believe:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Smart

Last played in the latvian league.. heh
  • Options
    According to todays SLP,Church is being made available for loan,quotes from Bob as to why,wants to go with youth as they are the future
  • Options
    Really cant remember Bally Smart
    and what happened to Alex Stavrinou
  • Options

According to todays SLP,Church is being made available for loan,quotes from Bob as to why,wants to go with youth as they are the future

A rather refreshing attitude. Need balance in any side but I too believe in integrating the kids sooner rather than later. And the only way to find out if they are ready is to play them.

In the case of Pigott he clearly isn't. In the case of Gomez he is but one has to accept that he will make mistakes learning his trade in the first team.

So bravo Bob I applaud you.
  • Options
    That team is so bad.

I remember hoping Mambo would get the number 5 shirt for a bit of amusement.....how low were those standards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be interested to see what clubs might come in for him if he were on loan. I gotta say personally I think it's going to be league 1. Can't see any Championship club wanting him.
  • Options
    how about a straight swap

Simon Church to Chesterfield and we get Eoin Doyle (top scorer with 11 goals)
    or if he is to old for RD(he is 26)

Simon Church to Peterborough and we get Kyle Vassell(22 and expected to be their next big thing, like Mackail-Smith, Gayle and Assombalonga)
  • Options
    I'm surprised that he hasn't been given a run in the side in recent weeks. With Pigott going out on loan and a seventeen year old getting on the bench before him I would imagine that his days are numbered. Bob sees him in training ans chooses not to play him and that says a lot. There is no doubt that we signed him, in the summer of 2013, because we were desperate and had, literally, no one else. It is not difficult to imagine that those in charge at The Valley don't think he is good enough at this level - something that may well have been known when we signed him but something was better than nothing.

I have never been very impressed with him but I appreciate that he gives 100%, but then so would I and none of you want me anywhere near the first team.

Based on our last season it would be my best guess that he will end up in League One. In the end all players find their level and from being at Reading in the Premier League (something that I suspect helped him earn a two year deal with us) and then having an indifferent season in a team that nearly went down he will probably struggle to find a Championship side that will take him.

Either way I wish him all the best but if he's not going to play for us I'd prefer to get him off the wage bill.
  • Options

Bob Peeters has not picked him for the 18 in the last two games.
    A lad who was 17 this month got in ahead of him today.
    This has become a spurious debate.

because the lad who is 17 is better. I have nothing against Church and I think he always gives 100% but he really isn't good enough imo.

• Options
    Church for Blackpool?
  • Options
    Powell signed him, Powell consistently started him, maybe he will go Hudds
  • Options
    Church never comes across as someone who would be frozen out for non-football reasons. he's a trier, and there's no hint of any bust-up, punching our keeper in training, etc. I think Bob has seen enough, basically, and would clearly rather risk an untried youngster rather than someone who he just knows isn't going to do the job.

Obviously a good loan spell can change everything, but the coaches see a lot in training and are entitled to make up their minds on that as well as 15-min cameos in matches
  • Options
    Ketts has stated that Church has fallen out with Peeters, hence the reason he hasn't featured in the squad and is being put out on loan with a view to a permanent move in January.
  • Options
    Powell probably could have got Church but went for Grant Holt says quite a lot!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Church for Blackpool?

The only area covered for Blackpool is upfront