Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roy Keane - Biggest Tosser in English Football?

Comments

• Options
    Unbelievably good player - especially domestically - but the act is getting a bit tiresome now.

I would not call him a thug - he was not an out and out animal like Vinny Jones or Terry Hurlock - he was an exceptional player who could play anywhere on the field with distinction.

However, he did let himself down on several occasions such as Haaland and the stamp on Southgate.
  • Options

Unbelievably good player - especially domestically - but the act is getting a bit tiresome now.

I would not call him a thug - he was not an out and out animal like Vinny Jones or Terry Hurlock - he was an exceptional player who could play anywhere on the field with distinction.

However, he did let himself down on several occasions such as Haaland and the stamp on Southgate.

exactly, at least with some one like patrick viera comes across as very calm and mellow after leaving the game but Keane seems like a poisonous man who will one day be that old angry pisshead that slurs something about being captain of man utd once.
  • Options
    bobcafc7 said:

Keane was a lot better than most people are suggesting, I think Rooney said recently that he was the best passer of the ball he had played with , big complement considering he played with Scholes.

But he did have him in a headlock with a Survival knife against his Adams Apple when he said it.
  • Options
    Did he have Duncan Ferguson on his list? Mick Harford? Dennis Rommedahl?

I thought although he came across as a quite human in the programme with Viera, this just seems like another load of hardman posturing. Dare we say "move on Roy"?
  • Options

great player, great winning mentalilty, the fact that people don't like this is the reason why we as a country have never one anything, I know he's Irish before people throw this back, but if England had more of what drove him on we would have achieved a lot more. Maybe his mentality came from what Cloughie taught him and again we all know how England missed out on Cloughie. On the Viera subject I think we all saw Viera melt in the tunnel after Keane confronted him after Viera was digging out Neville.

Interesting alternative to the normal polar opposite view people come up with as to why England never achieve anything. Normally folk bang on about not enough skill and technique and too much blood and guts.
  • Options
    Sort of player you love when he's in your team. Driven, talented and a winner. Sadly though it seems to me that as soon as he's stepped off the the football pitch he becomes just a sad, angry spiteful has been.
  • Options

great player, great winning mentalilty, the fact that people don't like this is the reason why we as a country have never one anything, I know he's Irish before people throw this back, but if England had more of what drove him on we would have achieved a lot more. Maybe his mentality came from what Cloughie taught him and again we all know how England missed out on Cloughie. On the Viera subject I think we all saw Viera melt in the tunnel after Keane confronted him after Viera was digging out Neville.

Interesting alternative to the normal polar opposite view people come up with as to why England never achieve anything. Normally folk bang on about not enough skill and technique and too much blood and guts.
    In recent years (10/15years) Id say its too much not really giving a toss about International football that was the problem.

• Options
    I remember reading somewhere that when he first got into management he tried to replicate everything Clough did. Understandable because Clough was his mentor and great manager, but Keane basically tried to mimic him without having built up a reputation of his own. For example Clough toward the end of his career reportedly didn't take training sessions himself, Keane thought he could do the same. Also at the Sunderland end of season BBQ/summer party, apparently he turned up, got his food, walked over to the other side of the training pitch, ate his food and dicked off without speaking to anyone. I can't remember where/when I read this, but it stuck in my mind as being someone who is a bit of a loner. Not surprising he has issues building relationships etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is he even writing a new book? Is it due to Ferguson? A very strange individual.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

In recent years (10/15years) Id say its too much not really giving a toss about International football that was the problem.

I'd say that's more from the fans than the players though CPL? I don't think any one of the egotists that pulls on an England shirt wants to fail in the eyes of the nation, it's more the fear of that failure that stifles their ambition? Which, I agree, goes back to the original point about the attitude of Keane and his like.
  • Options

If the England players had the keane mentality...we'd be lucky to have 11 players represent the country at finals tournaments.
  • Options

I'd say that's more from the fans than the players though CPL? I don't think any one of the egotists that pulls on an England shirt wants to fail in the eyes of the nation, it's more the fear of that failure that stifles their ambition? Which, I agree, goes back to the original point about the attitude of Keane and his like.
    Yeah maybe mate but I think the fans attitude has declined prob since 2000 onwards, strange squad picks continuously persevering with the same old tripe during that period and the shambles at south Africa was enough for me, however, I'm open minded now the old guard has gone and will give the current crop my backing...... As usual. :)
  • Options

My question about Keane was - why was he called the hard man of football?

He was a bully who picked on people he knew would not fight back. That became evident when John Hartson stood up to him and he melted like an ice cream on a hot summers day!

I remember this well and we still talk about it down the pub whenever someone suggests that

Keane was a hard man.

• Options

My question about Keane was - why was he called the hard man of football?

He was a bully who picked on people he knew would not fight back. That became evident when John Hartson stood up to him and he melted like an ice cream on a hot summers day!

I remember this well and we still talk about it down the pub whenever someone suggests that

Keane was a hard man.

I've never seen that incident but Hartson is a guy I have more respect for every day, not letting cancer beat him, and developing a decent reputation as a pundit. I wish him a long and happy further career.

• Options
    Hartson?

Kicking a prone player in the face.

In a training session.

yeah - respect
  • Options
    Some interesting writing in the i on this morning, presumably in the Independent as well. Keane comes across really badly when talking about Fergie. He was apparently jettisoned from Old Trafford on the back of assaulting Quieros and insulting Ferguson, but because he felt he was in the right obviously the club were being disloyal to him. The bloke is an unbelievable and unrelenting bell-end.

As for Robert Lee, I'm quite sure his talent made Keane look a fool on more than one occasion but I suspect it goes back to Newcastle doing Utd 3-0 in 2000 and a foul on Lee getting Keane sent off (second booking, first for dissent) in the game. Of course Keane also got a red for throwing a punch at Shearer in the 4-3 the following season. Lee played (and scored) in both.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Hartson?

Kicking a prone player in the face.

In a training session.

yeah - respect

I forgot about that. Knew there was a reason why he was starting from a low base, but couldn't remember what it was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keane has no regrets over ending a fellow player's career. That tells you all you need to know about him.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The Haaland incident was one of the most despicable things I've ever seen on a football pitch. AIH was mildly out of order getting in Keane's face when he was genuinely injured, but to go through all the torment and pain of a long term injury like Keane did and carry such a petty grudge for so long and to then, at the end of it all, see it as fit retribution to put AIH through the same agonising process (only worse) shows what a twisted individual he is.

Grade A C*** and someone I wish football had washed its hands of years ago instead of the constant idolizing and hero worship.

I dislike him even more than Pardew, which says an awful lot about what an infinite Twunt I think he is.
  • Options

"World class player, economy class person"

Dean Kiely 2013

Back to The Valley Dinner last year.......
  • Options
    Good football skills, determined, motivated and got results.
    But that's no justification for being a complete and utter c**t in order to achieve that. The ends don't justify the means, ever. Plenty of people got screwed over to get him where he is now.
    Personally he can take a very long walk and go f**k himself. You can safely say I won't be reading his autobiography.

• Options

But specifically, what on earth did he have against Rob Lee? Doubtless he will say you punters don't know what goes on, blah, blah,blah. But we are not totally stupid. Batty, Viera, Shearer, sure, they are a group of players whose actions on the field plus off field cqomments are going to wind people up. Including the fans. Robert Lee isn't in that group by a country mile. I can hardly remember him making a tackle for us, because that wasn't what was expected of him.

Probably because Lee ran rings round Keane and made him look two bob.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    Does a video exist of the Keane vs Hartson meltdown that people are mentioning here?
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with being a competitive sportsman, but Keane stinks, of what is known as, an absolute c*nt.

A hardworking frog has more professionalism and dignity.
  • Options
    vff said:
    One of the worst fouls I've ever seen.