Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UKIP win a seat

Comments

• Options
    Beat me to it Prague! I hadn't answered Covered End as his questions set me thinking and I realised that I could not answer him without discovering a lot more information. So I also thank CE.
    I am concerned because at the moment, there is a lot of scientific research that is unable to continue as research workers cannot enter the country and many existing workers have returned home. In the medical field, we are on the cusp of ground breaking projects and they are under threat.
    This is just an area that I know a little bit about. So it is clear to me that there would be many unrecognised consequences of setting simplistic quotas. Thus I consider that I would need a lot more information before I felt able to answer your questions.
    I do not like the manner in which UKIP has raised the questions, in fact I find it repellant, but the political establishment has been forced into looking at the questions it poses. So have I!

• Options
    For those interested this is a selection of the UKIP manifesto for 2015. This is a manifesto of pure common sense, something severely lacking in the Con/Lib/Lab triplets mindset. I urge anyone to find just 1 racist or xenophobic policy in here and then explain in detail why you think it is racist. I have voted UKIP, I do vote UKIP and I will vote UKIP and with policies like these is it any wonder that a hell of a lot of other people will be voting UKIP too.

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

For those interested this is a selection of the UKIP manifesto for 2015. This is a manifesto of pure common sense, something severely lacking in the Con/Lib/Lab triplets mindset. I urge anyone to find just 1 racist or xenophobic policy in here and then explain in detail why you think it is racist. I have voted UKIP, I do vote UKIP and I will vote UKIP and with policies like these is it any wonder that a hell of a lot of other people will be voting UKIP too.

Thanks E-cafc for this.

First time I have read some of their proposals. I don't agree with some of it but many make a lot of sense - if it stacks up from a fiscal standpoint.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to have to work out how to implement some of those policies but that would be a problem for the relevant civil servants, not the politicians who dreamt them up.
  • Options
    That`s a problem for any incoming government and their related departments.
  • Options
    I agree E - I've done some work for government departments and poured over legislation to work out exactly what it means and how to implement it. I just wonder how much thinking has gone on behind the soundbites.

I must echo what others have said - this is a great debate - Charlton Life at it's best. I've read it all and it has been respectful, insightful and thought provoking.
  • Options
    This is just one question of many but one that I really care about. Why did this appear on Paul Nuttall's website and why has he since taken it down? It's the White Man and forked tongue bit that deeply troubles me.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Already found one in the schools section.

Only white christian schools allowed. 'British values' indeed.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Where does it say that then? It clearly doesn`t say anything of the sort on that page!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'UKIP supports the principle of Free Schools that are open to the whole community and uphold British values.'

The open to the whole community is clearly a dig at muslim schools (even though Christian schools do the same). And the second sentence is open to a lot of interpretation which could mean the outright banning of certain schools that ukip don't like.
  • Options

E-cafc said:

Already found one in the schools section.

Only white christian schools allowed. 'British values' indeed.
    Prioritising Education and Skills

– UKIP will introduce an option for students to take an Apprenticeship Qualification instead of four non-core GCSEs which can be continued at A-Level. Students can take up apprenticeships in jobs with certified professionals qualified to grade the progress of the student.

– Subject to academic performance UKIP will remove tuition fees for students taking approved degrees in science, medicine, technology, engineering, maths on the condition that they live, work and pay tax in the UK for five years after the completion of their degrees.

– UKIP will scrap the target of 50% of school leavers going to university.

– Students from the EU will pay the same student fee rates as International students.

– UKIP supports the principle of Free Schools that are open to the whole community and uphold British values.

– Existing schools will be allowed to apply to become grammar schools and select according to ability and aptitude. Selection ages will be flexible and determined by the school in consultation with the local authority.

– Schools will be investigated by OFSTED on the presentation of a petition to the Department for Education signed by 25% of parents or governors.

Where does it say that?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Lol thats just how you want to construe it fair enough.
    Does not actually say that though, unless the word Muslim is coded
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Okay, let's look at a few of those "policies".

– UKIP will leave the EU and save at least £8bn pa in net contributions.

A trivial amount of money saved. For comparison purposes, the rest of the UK contributes around £11bn pa to the running costs of a very small number of people who happen to live in Northern Ireland. Is it really sensible to risk the UK's economic ties with the EU to save such a small sum?

– We will resource fully our military assets and personnel.

What does that mean, precisely? Is it a non-policy of maintaining the current budgets? Or is there a proposed increase? Who knows, certainly not UKIP I suspect.

– UKIP will guarantee those who have served in the Armed Forces for a minimum of 12 years a job in the police force, prison service or border force

Sounds fine doesn't it? But these days the job of working in the Police Force is complex and requires the full understanding of a wide range of laws - something that would be beyond many squaddies, frankly. And, to get to police sergeant, there's the taking of exams. A Captain in the Army would likely be ill-equipped for a senior role in the police and would someone with such status want to work as a bobby on the beat, a screw or check passports? Do we want a less able police force? In any event, somewhere close to 20% of the military have a criminal record with 11% of those being for a violent offence. Presumably the "guarantee" could not apply to them?

– Veterans are to receive a Veterans’ Service Card to ensure they are fast tracked for mental health care and services, if needed.

Again, an admirable aim. But who will pay for it? Or does it mean there will be the same resources but everyone else will have to wait longer for treatment? Where will all the necessary staff be? Will they have returned to the EU? We "imported 5,600 doctors last year alone. many of them from Southern Europe. They may well feel they have no option but to return home if we leave the EU. Again, UKIP does not explain how this will actually work.

–We will ensure that visitors to the UK, and migrants until they have paid NI for five years, have NHS-approved private health insurance as a condition of entry to the UK, saving the NHS £2bn pa. UKIP will commit to spending £200m of the £2bn saving to end hospital car parking charges in England.

Okay, again, a nice sound bite. So, all tourists from Europe are going to be quizzed on entry to the UK to see if they've got travel insurance, presumably? An extra cost to them (and an extra cost to UK tourists travelling to Europe - no EHICs for us any more). I'd predict huge queues at airports and the gradual dwindling of visitors to the UK and a big negative impact on the UK's hugely important travel industry.

– UKIP will reinstate the primary purpose rule for bringing foreign spouses and children to the UK.

That means this - a couple would have to show that their combined attachment to the UK is greater than that to any other country before being granted a visa or leave to remain based on their relationship. So, a UK citizen is probably prevented from marrying the person they love and then living with that person in the UK? One couldn't, for example marry an American and live in the UK? Will this be retrospective and will Farage's German wife be expelled?

– Foreign trawlers would have to apply for and purchase fishing permits to fish British waters when fish stocks have returned to sustainable levels.

Laughable. what's a "foreign" trawler? A number of Spanish-owned trawlers already fly under the British flag. They'd merely set up a UK incorporated company to own the trawler.

– UKIP will require foreign vehicles to purchase a Britdisc, before entry to the UK, in order to contribute to the upkeep of UK roads and any lost fuel duty.

Another nail in the coffin of the tourist industry. I can just see a German tourist, "Have I got my NHS-approved health insurance and my britdisc? Sod it, it's too difficult, I'm going to France instead". As for trucks. Well on the intra-UK Belfast route, often only the trailers get on the ferries and are picked up by another lorry at the other end. That's what would happen at Dover too. So no money brought in. Meanwhile the Eurotunnel could not cope with that system on its freight trains and would quickly go bust.

Just a few examples.....

Superb post.

As someone who has been involved in the political process professionally for a while now the biggest thing I have learnt is the danger of unintended consequences.
  • Options
    I think some people here are actually very disappointed that UKIP didn`t use the words black or muslim in there. Now they have to resort to wild imagination to try and find a racist policy! Hope it doesn`t ruin your day too much lol
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

I think some people here are actually very disappointed that UKIP didn`t use the words black or muslim in there. Now they have to resort to wild imagination to try and find a racist policy! Hope it doesn`t ruin your day too much lol

Farage has already said British values = Christian values. So its not a leap at all.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/nigel-farage-says-britain-needs-to-stand-up-for-its-judeochristian-values-to-combat-homegrown-militants-9708082.html
  • Options

This is just one question of many but one that I really care about. Why did this appear on Paul Nuttall's website and why has he since taken it down? It's the White Man and forked tongue bit that deeply troubles me.

Any responses to this please?

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

1) walking past my local primary school at turning out time and english seems to be the second language.
    2) Shopping in supermarkets where the shop assistants speak to each other in their native tongue, (not english).
    3) Walking through a new housing development of 30 council/housing assosiation houses where the majority are occupied by people of african origin, who have no respect of their enviroment.

Prague asked "What are the top three things in your daily life which most piss you off, which you think politicians should resolve? Other than "too many immigrants". And how do you believe leaving the EU will make those things better?"

So number three is immediately irrelevant to the question he actually asked Dansk, as African countries are not in the EU.

Of the other two, you have answered honestly, and I cannot argue with that; but neither of those things actually have any effect whatsoever on you going about your everyday business.

Number 1 - why is that a problem to you personally? Here in Albufeira they recently revealed that the local schools have kids who have 32 different native tongues, and when their Mums pick them up at the school gates undoubtedly they will talk to them in those native tongues. The immigrant kids are all taught Portuguese in special classes which the state pays for, and no one has a problem with it.

Number 2 would be the case absolutely anywhere in the world when two people of the same nationality are working together, as long as they speak to you in English, what's the problem and again how would leaving the EU stop two people who speak Hindi from doing so?

If they genuinely are the top three things in everyday life that piss you off, you are a very lucky man not to have work, health, family etc problems. Personally I get more pissed off with not being able to find a parking space in August than whether some kids at the local primary speak Russian to each other...
  • Options
    SELR_addicks,

So what would you suggest we all do to combat extremism then?

Just carry on doing nothing? Carry on denying there is a problem just like Cameron, Clegg and Miliband are doing?

Carry on pandering to them whilst they plan mass atrocities against innocent people going about their daily business?

Carry on ignoring it while they train and educate their youngsters how to wage jihad against us and become suicide bombers?

Carry on looking the other way while they are learning how to make bombs and obtain weaponry?

Carry on letting hate preachers spout hatred on the streets and burn our flags and disrespect our war dead and returning troops while the cowardly police just stand and watch in fear of political correctness?

You seem to have all of the bright ideas, what do you suggest?

If you think this statement by Farage is racist then you have very, strange,warped mind! I know which I would prefer, give me strong British values any day of the week!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    E-cafc said:

SELR_addicks,

So what would you suggest we all do to combat extremism then?

Just carry on doing nothing? Carry on denying there is a problem just like Cameron, Clegg and Miliband are doing?

Carry on pandering to them whilst they plan mass atrocities against innocent people going about their daily business?

Carry on ignoring it while they train and educate their youngsters how to wage jihad against us and become suicide bombers?

Carry on looking the other way while they are learning how to make bombs and obtain weaponry?

Carry on letting hate preachers spout hatred on the streets and burn our flags and disrespect our war dead and returning troops while the cowardly police just stand and watch in fear of political correctness?

You seem to have all of the bright ideas, what do you suggest?

If you think this statement by Farage is racist then you have very, strange,warped mind! I know which I would prefer, give me strong British values any day of the week!

Do you actually believe that muslim children engage in any of these activities during school hours?

The idea that the only choice is between strong British values and terrorism is a fallacy.
  • Options

Any responses to this please?

Yes, it is not on the manifesto so therefore it means nothing. All political parties propose things and then"U-turn" do they not?. Whilst you are so concerned about the NHS you will know that it is currently being privatised by stealth by the coalition. Oh, by the way, NHS privatisation was first proposed by Tony Blair in 2007. So much for Labour being the champions of the NHS eh? The NHS is the only lie that Labour have left to cling onto, they have been found out on everything else!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Hahahahahah you carry on enjoying yourself lol

I have to commend you though, finding all of those blatantly racist and xenophoblic policies can`t have been easy for you lol
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Hahahahahah you carry on enjoying yourself lol

I have to commend you though, finding all of those blatantly racist and xenophoblic policies can`t have been easy for you lol

He seemed to find it simple enough?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Actually I'll edit this post to put something constructive.

"UKIP will leave the EU and save at least £8bn pa in net contributions."

What a total load of shit. The £8bn figure used is what the UK contributes to the EU, however, this statement suggests we receive nothing in return for that money. Also again this is the reason people need to look beyond the headline figure, on the surface £8bn sounds like a lot, in fact it is just 0.64% of GDP. So one of the key foundations of UKIPs pledges is based on a fairly insignificant saving that isn't really a saving at all. I have to hand it to Farage, pulling the wool over this many people's eyes is mightily impressive.
  • Options
    Don't fancy actually responding to the points Chizz made then E?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

– UKIP will reinstate the primary purpose rule for bringing foreign spouses and children to the UK.

That means this - a couple would have to show that their combined attachment to the UK is greater than that to any other country before being granted a visa or leave to remain based on their relationship. So, a UK citizen is probably prevented from marrying the person they love and then living with that person in the UK? One couldn't, for example marry an American and live in the UK? Will this be retrospective and will Farage's German wife be expelled?

that's not my understanding of the primary purpose rule

A spouse needed to prove that the marriage was not entered into primarily to obtain admission to the uk

As Farage clearly didn't marry in order to get his wife into the country you'd have trouble applying thay one retrospectively

I would agree with most of your other points though
  • Options
    Can't believe any politician believes in love lol!