Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UKIP win a seat

And nobody in here has committed suicide yet? Unbelievable!!!!

Comments

• Options
    If I see Nigel Farage standing in a pub with another pint of bitter in his hand I'm going to scream.
  • Options
    Urrgghh thanks @shine166‌
  • Options
    Why didnt they just rip one out like Millwall?
  • Options
    can't take them seriously, might as well vote Green
  • Options
    @Smudge7946 why the flag ?
  • Options
    Very close to taking both of the by election seats last night. Can see them taking a few more next year.
  • Options

I think you will find that Cameron and Miliband take a very different view. If things continue at the present rate, the election could provide a few challenges.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Has Pub Spy been to that establishment yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm voting for Boss Hogg next year. Stuff the Greens
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Whatever your views on UKIP you have to tip your hat to Farage for his comment that North of Birmingham if you vote Conservative you get Labour (given the narrowness of Labour's majority in Heywood).

A nice riposte to the ongoing slurs of the cast iron one......

• Options
    Granpa said:

I think you will find that Cameron and Miliband take a very different view. If things continue at the present rate, the election could provide a few challenges.

An interesting point of view made on last night's "This Week" programme was that following the situation in Scotland, labour and LibDems may well lose a lot of seats to the SNP. This strengthens the Conservative position as regards a majority in the HoC as it could be as many as 20 seats that Labour lose.
    However, if UKIP trends continue, this will shift things further. It could be that both Lab and Con seats fall to UKIP. The interesting point that Michael Portillo made on that programme was that it is increasingly likely that we will have another hung parliament, but that it won't be the LibDems who call the shots - it will be down to a probable confidence and supply arrangements with Nationalists - UKIP or SNP.

I think we can await a short but bloody war in Labour with Miliband getting knifed in the back following the Rochester & Strood by-election and the possibility that Clegg might be pushed (although I think this is less likely before the General Election).
    I also reckon Cameron will have to head UKIP off at the pass, so to speak, and is more likely than not to promise a referendum on in/out of Europe to stop some of his Eurosceptic MPs from jumping to UKIP and to deter UKIP voters.

Regardless of what happens, it's going to get very interesting......!
  • Options
    Carswell's victory speech seemed to be that of a man jockeying to take over the leadership of UKIP. Now that will liven things up!
  • Options
    Can't see either the Libs or Labour getting rid of their leaders before the election.

Cameron has already promised an in/out referendum in 2017. It's been Tory party policy since early 2013.
  • Options

Welcome to the new politics.......
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    As long as we get some of this...

NOW that would be exciting!
  • Options
    Hi Iainambler, you make some good points, people are perhaps underestimating how much trouble can be caused by a relatively small number of seats. You have raised the possibility of a Salman/Farage co-operation, and even though I am currently liking the UKIP advance, that frightens me a bit. As you say, both Miliband and Clegg have looked vulnerable, and without the prescence of UKIP I would be expecting a clear majority for the Conservatives. Perhaps the whole face of politics is going to change, but it sure as hell is unlikely to be boring as it has often been.
  • Options
    A Tory/UKIP coalition...........could you imagine??
  • Options
    Hardly surprising. Large parts of the country have had enough. It's all about registering a vote over a single issue which affects a lot of peoples lives which isn't being addressed by the mainstream parties. It happened in Sweden recently and it's on the way to happening here as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    UKIP .. the new boys on the block usurping the brave wishy washy Liberal Democrats, the party formed by the right wing of the labour party who were opposed to Wilson, Healey, Callaghan and the Trade Union 'barons'.
    Like the old LibDems, in the next General Election, UKIP will finish a close third in 500 constituencies up and down the nation, they might win 7 to 12 seats ?? .. anymore than that would surprise me
  • Options
    A couple of policy changes away from the BNP as well as racist and xenophobic.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/02/ukip-party-bigots-lets-look-evidence
  • Options
    I find it staggering that UKIP got within 600 votes of winning at Heywood causing a recount.
    Like them or not they are making big inroads and the other parties are worried because no one really knows what sort of support they will get at the next general election and whose votes they will take.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Can't see either the Libs or Labour getting rid of their leaders before the election.

Cameron has already promised an in/out referendum in 2017. It's been Tory party policy since early 2013.

The thing is that if anyone believed Cameron's promise, UKIP would not be on the rise. If Cameron was to give an absolute promise - i.e. "if you give me a clear majority you get it passed by parliament or else I'll resign" then that might appease prospective 'Kippers.
    I'm not sure if it is totally party policy though - IIRC it was a manifesto pledge, and they are not worth the toilet paper they are printed on - but happy to stand correected if I'm wrong.

Given that Miliband is seen as exceedingly weak following his Party conference he is in a very precipitous position. There is enough time to shore up the traditional Labour vote if he goes sooner rather than later. The political landscape is going to radically change whatever happens - but IMHO if Miliband is replaced Labour stand a chance of keeping a lot more seats than if he stays. Watch this space....
  • Options
    Milliband replaced by who though?
  • Options
    New Statesman article reads like panic stations from the left to me. No different to the right warning against voting labour because of their association with principles of communism. Any ideas contra to left wing ideology is classed as a "phobia" or worse still populist.

I am undecided but this article is worthless in addressing the real issues people think need addressing.
  • Options

The thing is that if anyone believed Cameron's promise, UKIP would not be on the rise. If Cameron was to give an absolute promise - i.e. "if you give me a clear majority you get it passed by parliament or else I'll resign" then that might appease prospective 'Kippers.
    I'm not sure if it is totally party policy though - IIRC it was a manifesto pledge, and they are not worth the toilet paper they are printed on - but happy to stand correected if I'm wrong.

Given that Miliband is seen as exceedingly weak following his Party conference he is in a very precipitous position. There is enough time to shore up the traditional Labour vote if he goes sooner rather than later. The political landscape is going to radically change whatever happens - but IMHO if Miliband is replaced Labour stand a chance of keeping a lot more seats than if he stays. Watch this space....

Well, maybe people believe him and maybe they don't. Cameron, Osborne, May and every other senior figure in the party have said definitively that there will be an in/out referendum in 2017. When the LibDems broke a clear pledge on tuition fees, it pretty much killed them electorally. The Tories will not make the same mistake over a far more important issue.

If the Tories get in they will either hold an in/out referendum in 2017 or they will be finished as a party i.e. down to single figures in the polls, face a huge split with multiple defections etc. So yeah, I believe that if the Tories are in power in 2017 there will be an in/out referendum. In fact I'd give odds of 20 to 1 if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Well, maybe people believe him and maybe they don't. Cameron, Osborne, May and every other senior figure in the party have said definitively that there will be an in/out referendum in 2017. When the LibDems broke a clear pledge on tuition fees, it pretty much killed them electorally. The Tories will not make the same mistake over a far more important issue.

If the Tories get in they will either hold an in/out referendum in 2017 or they will be finished as a party i.e. down to single figures in the polls, face a huge split with multiple defections etc. So yeah, I believe that if the Tories are in power in 2017 there will be an in/out referendum. In fact I'd give odds of 20 to 1 if anyone is interested.
    Stilladdicted didn't say any of that BTW