Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UKIP win a seat

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Well hopefully this means that UKIP will now get the same amount of coverage as the Green Party, seeing as they finally have the same number of MPs.

I can't see it decreasing to that level, to be honest. Until today UKIP had fewer MPs than the Greens or the George Galloway Fan Club, but still get acres of coverage.
  • Options
    Sorry still addicted. Not sure what happened with the quotes.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Mass immigration isn't wildly popular with the Labour base, who would have guessed? When the Labour leader can't even bring himself to defend his parties position at his own conference you know the wheels have really come off. Labour are going to be shafted in their heartlands next year.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Well hopefully this means that UKIP will now get the same amount of coverage as the Green Party, seeing as they finally have the same number of MPs.

The Green party own the blame for that.
  • Options
    If not in the forthcoming election, but certainly in elections to follow the internet and social media will be a distinct force in the debate.
    There are two major questions, will people schlepp to the polling stations to vote? (maybe it can all be done on smartphones in the future!), and will people vote according to the detailed policies in manifestos?
    I seems we are in the x-factor world of politics where everybody is relying on spin and not substance...because people are not interested in engaging with the substance because the slogans are more entertaining and easy to remember. I used to wonder how UKIP could succeed with no realistic or discernible plan for the complexities of running the country, but the don't need any plan do they? Nor do any of the parties any more because the plan is not going to get the vote out, or the votes cast.
  • Options

A Tory/UKIP coalition...........could you imagine??

If that happens I'm off to Somalia and claiming asylum :'(
  • Options

There is a reason why they all come in this direction you know... ;0)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If not in the forthcoming election, but certainly in elections to follow the internet and social media will be a distinct force in the debate.
    There are two major questions, will people schlepp to the polling stations to vote? (maybe it can all be done on smartphones in the future!), and will people vote according to the detailed policies in manifestos?
    I seems we are in the x-factor world of politics where everybody is relying on spin and not substance...because people are not interested in engaging with the substance because the slogans are more entertaining and easy to remember. I used to wonder how UKIP could succeed with no realistic or discernible plan for the complexities of running the country, but the don't need any plan do they? Nor do any of the parties any more because the plan is not going to get the vote out, or the votes cast.

Online voting may be the way to go. The voting system just not keeping up with the social fabric- http://webrootsdemocracy.org/about/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I have made my position clear, I enjoy living in a diverse multicultural society and everything UKIP stands for is anathema to me. But, it is patently obvious that we have a hugely divided and disenfranchised society and the blame for that lies with politicians and us for putting up with their antics. UKIP will win a few seats but they will still not have any real power to change things. If UKIP represents the views of a section of society, then in a sense I am pleased that people feel that someone is listening to them. But what happens if there is no observable change, what then?
  • Options
    I am not party political apart from the Valley Party of course, but has anybody spoken to any local activist of UKip? I have attended a number of shows around the country and it is clear to me that they are not ready for any responsibility, whatever their policies might be.
    Having said that, it makes politics far more interesting.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Good, well fuck off then
    I can't wait for people to understand the minimum wage is being held down by immigration.
    Your average joe is struggling to keep his head above water, whilst those of you that are totally uneffected by this influx scorn those that are.
  • Options

Good, well fuck off then
    I can't wait for people to understand the minimum wage is being held down by immigration.
    Your average joe is struggling to keep his head above water, whilst those of you that are totally uneffected by this influx scorn those that are.
    Knowing AUN that was tongue in cheek, so an unnecessary and uncalled for overreaction.
  • Options
    UKIP remind me of Montgomery Brewster
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

What people don't understand is the wages in the construction industry are being driven down by immigration. The average home owner in this country needs to earn a decent wage a day to cover the cost of their mortgage, council tax, energy bills etc whilst supporting their family. When you get a group of 10 Eastern Europeans living in a house together sharing the bills amongst them they may only need £140 a week to cover the cost, this results in them agreeing to work for £80 a day as they don't need to earn as much as me and you. This then means employers know they can get labour for a lower price and so when we walk on a job that is all they are willing to pay hence keeping wages down and to a minimum, I've been quite fortunate I've landed an excellent job but go back two years and I was earning the same as when I finished my apprentaship 14 years ago, when really with growth and inflation I should of been getting a lot more but you can't and that's because immigration drives the cost down, fellow tradesmen are struggling and agencies are as bad.

Absolutely spot on.

My son is a self-employed carpenter and would back up absolutely every word you say.

Problem is all these public school idiots like Cameron, Clegg and Milliband live in a world far removed from the realities of the working man. And they are all now surprised to find that people are saying "we've had enough of this".
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Milliband replaced by who though?

• Options

smiffyboy said:

What people don't understand is the wages in the construction industry are being driven down by immigration. The average home owner in this country needs to earn a decent wage a day to cover the cost of their mortgage, council tax, energy bills etc whilst supporting their family. When you get a group of 10 Eastern Europeans living in a house together sharing the bills amongst them they may only need £140 a week to cover the cost, this results in them agreeing to work for £80 a day as they don't need to earn as much as me and you. This then means employers know they can get labour for a lower price and so when we walk on a job that is all they are willing to pay hence keeping wages down and to a minimum, I've been quite fortunate I've landed an excellent job but go back two years and I was earning the same as when I finished my apprentaship 14 years ago, when really with growth and inflation I should of been getting a lot more but you can't and that's because immigration drives the cost down, fellow tradesmen are struggling and agencies are as bad.

Absolutely spot on.

My son is a self-employed carpenter and would back up absolutely every word you say.

Problem is all these public school idiots like Cameron, Clegg and Milliband live in a world far removed from the realities of the working man. And they are all now surprised to find that people are saying "we've had enough of this".

Who do you two reckon pays the wages?
  • Options
    Maybe a few seats will convince the other parties and their voters that UKIP is not just a protest/racist vote, and that some people are genuinely disgruntled about immigration levels and membership of the EU.
  • Options
    But apart from stopping immigration and leaving the EU, what are UKIP's policies?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

But apart from stopping immigration and leaving the EU, what are UKIP's policies?

I don't really know, and tbh I don't really care. But if the other parties start to face these two issues head on because of UKIP's popularity then that's a good thing in my opinion.

• Options
    Been sitting on the fence a bit but edging to voting UKIP over Tory now. Really like Douglas Carswell and his views on politics in general. Will be purchasing his book tomorrow.
  • Options
    Right now, research on some major scientific projects is grinding to a halt because of the immigration quotas. So why don't you quit moaning, invest in your education and get a better paid job?