Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bolton - post match views

Comments

• Options
    We were terrible and I have no idea how we won. Once again we kept losing possession and conceded numerous corners - our luck will give way eventually.
    Bikey and George were our only decent players - the rest simply struggled. Not enjoyable to watch.
  • Options
    Great result but watching Charlton is so bloody boring. Under pressure but in truth Bolton offered little in front of goal.

Our midfield look comfortable when given loads of space but struggle when closed down quickly and put under pressure, can any body tackle in midfield?

Anyway onwards and upwards roll on Fulham.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Well we are in prime striking distance for a playoff place right now so who can complain?? Glad to see George get a goal today. We need to stop giving up goals off of set pieces, and stop giving away so many dumb set pieces as well. other than that I think it was a good result and im happy to have another 3 points
  • Options

Pete and Terry are suggesting that despite the lack of possession we weren't that troubled most of the time. Two good goals to win, when many of us wondered how we would score without Igor, seems to me like a good night's work. Sounds like Buyens had a good game, but is suspended for Friday after a questionable booking.

The other thing that I'd like to ask those there, because it always winds me up. From where did the officials produce 5 minutes of injury time which then turned into 6 ? I don't recall any significant injury stoppage being mentioned.

All six subs were used: isn't there a regulation 30 secs for each, so that's three minutes for a start. It's a good thing there wasn't more stoppage time, because we might well have blown it. Bolton had loads of corners and several free-kicks around our box in the second half; a better team would have made them count. We were very poor again today: our weak midfield remains the root of the problem. In tonight's Evening Standard, Jackson reckons we are playing good football...

• Options
    Johnnie Jackson cost me £100 but a win's a win :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from their goal and the effort that Wilson headed off thevline i cannot remember whether they had a shot on target in the second half so poor was their attack and in particular the woeful Beckford. We desperately need a player who can relieve pressure by holding the ball up and giving an immensely hard working but shadow chasing midfield a breather.without such a player we cannot play Jackson and Buyens together in the middle as they're incapable of pressing quickly enough when the ball comes straight back from a clearance forward.We also had no one getting down the wings tonight as an alternative outlet except perhaps wiggins with rare excursions. Defence did well particularly Wilson and Bikey.But they won't beable to do so well every week.Depressingly a laboured win felt like a defeat in some ways if that is not a completely stupid thing to say.Still a win is a win nevertheless.
  • Options

Bloody hell did we win? You wouldn't know it on here. 3 more points on the board against a team trying to take advantage of the new manager bounce suits me just fine

Funny you should say that, because I nearly forgot we were winning during the second half. We were so bad in patches.
    Like everyone says though, a win is a win and we went home happy.
  • Options
    Good result.

Bolton dominated yes, but scored once, we scored two. All that matters when the ref blows the final whistle.

To be honest, Bolton showed enthusiasm, lots of it, but I don't recall too many clear opportunities from them, after cutting us apart?

Great touch and finish, great football for the second. Switched off briefly for their goal.

MOM. Bikey/George
  • Options
    History will record this as 3 points won but it was pretty unconvincing on the whole. An excellent finish and assist from Tucudean but nothing else he did seemed to come off.

I thought Wiggins, Cousins and Bulot were poor and Buyens did his usual strong first half, anonymous second half. Jacko, Bikey, Henderson and Tucudean for his two key interventions were the best performers for me. Wilson and Moussa did ok. Bolton weren't great but had some good periods. I don't think they'll be at the bottom for long.

Without three of our best players, it has to be considered a great 3 points even if the performance was patchy.
  • Options
    Sounds like another unconvincing performance but the main thing was the result tonight, make sure we did not go into a spiral of losses after finally losing our unbeaten run.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Given the line up excellent 3 points for 53 mins we were excellent some great football played involving Buyons , Moussa, Bulot and George .... Bolton got a lift they did not deserve but even though they had a lot of the ball around our box we defended well .
    Buyons excellent in both ends ... neat football between Moussa and Bulot and George had his best game for the club... At the back Wiggins had a mere tonight ..
    All in all important win that will give everyone a lift

you obviously watched a different game to me. other than the win there was little that was excellent. both jj and buyens were better but not great, but credit to jj for goal. credit also to george for his goal which was well taken, but he fell over too much and faded considerably in second half. moussa tried but wasn't that good, and bulot was poor. did he add anything positive? no idea what cousins was up to, but it wasn't great.

i thought that bolton were much more positive than us and they have a good midfield. fortunately for us they have virtually nothing up front.

overall our passing was poor, we defended too deep and we give away possession too easily, zonal marking really doesn't work, we look slow and lacking imagination. we gave too much space on the wings which got worse when fox came on. he looks out of his depth.

however, a win's a win and we seem to be making our own luck at the moment. but our problems are still there to be seen and i fear we will continue to struggle.

and it is Buyens - with an 'e'
  • Options
    That first goal might wind up our goal of the season. I cannot emphasise how fantastic it was. Worth turning up just for that.
  • Options
    Very happy with moussa's performance tonight and hopefully a goal and assist will give george some confidence too!
    Cousins brings nothing to the team playing out wide and fox duplicated Jordan's performance when the left back played left mid !
    Gutsy performance from tucu, moussa , bikey and Ben haim but the rest pretty dull
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have a top of championship bottom of premiership defence and that is what keeps us 4 points off the top. Funniest sight of the evening was Bikey out pacing one of their players going into their half. George did well after a very poor star when he was on the floor more often than not and only avoided a booking for a dive because it was so bad. Thought Lawrie Wilson was excellent, solid in defence, no nonsense. But calm and collected my man f the match. Be interested in others who were there view on Buyens, Moussa and Bulit, thought all three were poor. Great to see more than one goal and get three points .. Bring on the cottagers
  • Options
    I won't pretend we will run away with this league but that's three more points, two clinical finishes and one more game towards the half way mark.
    Yep, another 12 points by 1 Jan puts us somewhere near the play-offs and the club have stated they will acquire two or three more players in January if are in the mix.

So imagine tonight's XI plus the three missing plus three more and we have something worth watching!

Once again our back five was immense (although Wiggins shaky at times) and Tucudean has played his way back in to contention. The rest were ok and we are nicely set up to have a crack at Fulham on Friday
  • Options
    We looked more dangerous than them going forward. That was the difference
  • Options
    It was lucky that Bolton were poor or we would have been beaten. Ben Haim and Bikey were excellent; Wilson did OK, Moussa was fair and the goals were good but other than that it was a bad display. Peeters has got to sort out the midfield either by coaching or changing things around. His options are limited but he could try Cousins in the middle. I don't agree with some of the posts here that Jacko was good; I thought he was less than average (apart from his goal of course). Buyens has got to take some responsibility, put in that extra yard of effort, get his foot on the ball and knock it around like he did in the first few games of the season. Had the midfield been better I don't think Charlton would have been holding on for dear life, against Bolton's numerous corners.
  • Options
    henderson needs to learn how to release the ball early, he's beginning to give me a hernia every game
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    As ever posting without reading.

A cold, windswept Valley with a hint of drizzle in the air was home to what can only be described as a mugging by Charlton in front of what I would estimate to be barely 10,000 home fans and 1,000 tops away fans - whatever the officially announced attendance. However I'll take it thank you very much!

We had two meaningful shots and scored two goals whereas Henderson made four or five decent saves. George Tucudean's goal was a shining beacon of quality amongst 90 minutes of mostly mediocrity or worse. A lovely chip forward ( was it Jacko ? not 100% sure) was brought down well by George and he then evaded a lunging defender before sliding the ball across the keeper into the far lower corner of the net at the Covered End. Our other shot and goal came when Jacko found himself in a central position effectively one on one with the keeper, Lonergan, and effectively slid a shot past him as he advanced into an empty net.

That was pretty much that from us as far as any real attacking intent. Bolton came to get something out of the match, trying to unsettle us by turning us round so we kicked towards the Covered End in the first half and pressing and attacking as much as they could. If you didn't know any different you would have assumed that they were the home team and we were the away side.

However the big positive is that on a cold, unpleasant October night our lads responded to defeat on Saturday and, despite being well below their best possibly in part because of the weather conditions, battled their way to victory.

Winning when not playing well is a good habit.

COYR
  • Options
    Massive 3 points with injuries and recent struggles and basically a shit performance yet again , don't know how we do it but long may it continue.

thought Henderson got away with it tonight with some flapping and coming and missing some crosses but he's still in credit for me

Nice finish and assist for Tucudean but his Griffin impression is a bit too good on occassions

who cares , we're still 5th (joint) !!

can't see our crowds improving even if we're top 8 all season , the football is dull and only the hardcore fruits will go and watch that regularly and as long as those results keep coming , i'm loving it

0% top two ......... 2% 3rd-6th .........55% 7th-12th ......43% 13th-21st...... 0% Relegation