Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bolton - post match views

Comments

• Options
    OK the week after next then Arthur

Great resolute defending is as hard to achieve as free flowing attacking football

Sounds like we are tough to beat and are clinical when chances come, we may not create loads but we finish what we do

Surely that is a great footing on which to build
  • Options
    I look forward to seeing the game on TV on Friday, not blurry, no freezing and without buffering. I am in absolute awe as to how we can keep on winning/not losing when I see stats like that on the BBC website week in week out.
  • Options
    What worries me is the Pardew era of 90 minutes on the back foot, meant we got worn out and injuries, and confidence dropped. Of course the difference here is we are getting results, but the concern is how long can it be sustained.
  • Options

I look forward to seeing the game on TV on Friday, not blurry, no freezing and without buffering. I am in absolute awe as to how we can keep on winning/not losing when I see stats like that on the BBC website week in week out.

You know it never ends well when we are able to watch us in HD

• Options
    strange performance from us.

when we put the passes together we looked good.

thought we'd kick on when we got the 2nd but their goal so soon afterwards seemed to drain our confidence despite the fact we were still winning.

not going to be critical of anyone but I will say that I HATE zonal marking at corners.
  • Options
    We were poor again but we are still picking up points!

Our central defence is probably up there with the best in the league, that is why we are doing well so far, if last night was this time last season we would have lost, simple as.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    A. The results are great, the play over 90 + mins is flakey. =22 points.
    OR
    B. The results are flakey, but our play over 90 + mins is good, but just can't finish. = 13 points.

Make your mind up time.

You, me and Bob, don't want us to sit back, in the mean time it's better than being Blackpool.

if you are not looking to see how many points we are ahead of the 3rd bottom team,
    (to go with our bottom 6 budget)

You are suffering with illusions of Big team syndrome

Give us a P, please Bob..........Behave yourselves.
  • Options
    we were poor again but 3 points.
    The team that pasted the ball around in the early season games has been sussed out. Close our mid field down quickly and we just drop deeper and deeper. Dont give Buyen any time on the ball.
    We seem to lack confidence. Which is weird considering out of 15 games this season we have lost 2.
    Only one up front at home is a reflection of the weakness of our midfield as much as it is lack of strikers.
    Seems we have been looking for many seasons for a ball winner in midfield---give the ball to Buyens he is the play maker.

When you look at the players Bob has brought in its stunning how well most have done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are 7th, four points off top spot .. bad performances and good results .. I say again, our defence is superb and attack/midfield can only get better .. My cup at least is 2/3 full but there again, I don't have to sit through what sounds like regular torture sessions at the Valley ... poor crowd was possibly a result of inclement weather .. good to see Tucudean on the score sheet .. and Jackson, the much derided Jackson .. last two wins via two goals from him, get a f***ing grip all you Jackson doubters .. Fulham had a hard game @ Rotherham last night .. they are coming into form .. bring 'em on .. Come on you Addicks !!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I don't think last night was as bad a performance as some are suggesting. It is frustrating that Bob sets his team out to soak up pressure and then counter but it's getting results. My only concern is that when we go a goal down, as we did at Bournemouth on Saturday, there is absolutely no Plan B when a team is defending a lead against you, i.e you can't counter if you are no longer being attacked.

Henderson, Ben Haim and Bikey were all solid last night and never really looked troubled. I also think Wiggins was defensively sound for most of last night (don't underestimate Feeney, he is a decent player who I'd have at Charlton). I do wonder if Bob has instructed his full backs not to attack or overlap too much as regardless of who has played there this season, we haven't seen them get forward as much as we were used to under Powell.

Cousins had a mixed game and his first touch let him down on occasion. That said, he didn't stop working and looked shattered toward the end and I thought Bob should have subbed him for Harriott late on, instead of taking Moussa off. I hope he moves back into the middle on Friday with Buyens picking up five yellows already. Buyens was poor and never looked like winning and keeping the ball. He wasted a lot of passes last night as well. Jackson was our best midfielder last night and finished a great counter attacking team move with a finish some would have hit straight at the keeper. I thought Bulot and Wilson were pretty average - didn't do a lot wrong, but didn't offer much going forward either. Moussa probably had his best game for us last night and great to see Tucudean get a goal with a superb finish and an even better first touch to bring the pass under control. It seemed to boost his confidence after he spent the majority of his time before that diving at every opportunity.

A good win against a Bolton side full of decent players that shouldn't be in any trouble come the end of the season.
  • Options
    I'm sure big Bob knows as well as anyone that we have to keep the ball better. I'm equally sure he will be addressing that issue during the January window.

In the mean time, we are a side punching somewhat above our weight and doing so on a consistent basis, as have all successful Charlton sides of recent years. Credit for that goes to Bob and long may it continue!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Two quality goals in an otherwise uninspiring display, but then this division is about grinding out results, Derby won 1-0 at Blackpool, it's such tight games that decide promotions and relegations.

Very inexperienced bench, Fox seemed unsure what to when he came on. I know there's no vacancy at CB, but surely there must be a role for Morrison on the pitch somewhere. He's not a brilliant RB, but playing him there at some point last night would have freed up Wilson to play in midfield where we were badly overrun...

Totally agree with this and said the same after the Brighton game when he brought Fox on instead and we needed aerial presence at the back to counteract their CB Dunk who scored twice for them and nicked a point. However Bob seems to have a fixation about bringing Fox on in midfield late in the game when he is a full back! Still he clearly knows what he is doing as we held on for the bounce back we were looking for. :-)
    I thought it made sense yesterday, Bulot went missing a bit and doesn't offer much cover for the fullback defensively. A lot of people on here thought Wiggins had a bad game, I don't - he tucked in when needed and to make a couple of crucial interventions but as a result Bolton's right side was often an outlet for a cross-field pass, which made it look like he was constantly out of position. Actually what was needed was cover from the left mid, particularly as they weren't busy attacking.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Two quality goals in an otherwise uninspiring display, but then this division is about grinding out results, Derby won 1-0 at Blackpool, it's such tight games that decide promotions and relegations.

Very inexperienced bench, Fox seemed unsure what to when he came on. I know there's no vacancy at CB, but surely there must be a role for Morrison on the pitch somewhere. He's not a brilliant RB, but playing him there at some point last night would have freed up Wilson to play in midfield where we were badly overrun...

Totally agree with this and said the same after the Brighton game when he brought Fox on instead and we needed aerial presence at the back to counteract their CB Dunk who scored twice for them and nicked a point. However Bob seems to have a fixation about bringing Fox on in midfield late in the game when he is a full back! Still he clearly knows what he is doing as we held on for the bounce back we were looking for. :-)
    I thought it made sense yesterday, Bulot went missing a bit and doesn't offer much cover for the fullback defensively. A lot of people on here thought Wiggins had a bad game, I don't - he tucked in when needed and to make a couple of crucial interventions but as a result Bolton's right side was often an outlet for a cross-field pass, which made it look like he was constantly out of position. Actually what was needed was cover from the left mid, particularly as they weren't busy attacking.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

RedChaser said:

Wasn't Cousins supposed to be providing cover in front of Wiggins? Cousins was switched to the right when Fox (who looked looked lost) came on but if Morrison had slotted in at right RB just move Wilson RM and no need to move Cousins simples. It's great though how we all see it different otherwise it would be boring on here. :-)
  • Options
    Huge win after the disappointing defeat and performance at Bournemouth. It wasn't very pretty at times and Bolton were unlucky not to get anything, but the win is what matters. Good to see Buyens show some of the early season form that has been missing lately and although Tucudean spent half his time on the floor he was also instrumental in both the goals and took his brilliantly. A word also for Ben Haim & Bikey who were key again to us picking up the win. Looking forward to Fulham on Friday night.
  • Options

Stig said:

Not a classic by any stretch of the imagination. Two pretty poor teams, but an entertaining enough match despite that. I certainly wouldn't be queuing to buy any Bolton players; some of theirs were better than some of ours on the night, but none were that great. Despite the possession stats, I think we shaded it. We were the better side until we scored our second goal at which point our midfield seemed to lose all sense of purpose. They were better after that, and encouraged by their goal. Fortunately (again) our defence remained pretty solid. Two big differences overall, our defence was better and we took our chances.

Getting a bit fed up with your excellent, reasoned, eloquent insights, Stig.
    For future reference, please include
    1. Hyperbole
    2. Blind criticism of at least one player
    3. Jaundiced opinions of how bad BP is
    and not forgetting
    4. At least one personal dig at another lister.

And a totally unwarranted Flag.

Cheers now.

Wasn't he going to sign for us from Olympiakos?
  • Options
    A poor game played by 2 poor sides, until George scored, my MOM BTW.
    Why we persist with hoofing it up from goal kicks is beyond me, it didn't work with the greedy Frenchman it doesnt work now, very frustrating.
    Cousins gave the ball away far too after, although he did run around a lot.
    Moussa had his best game exp in the first half.
    Great ball from Buyens for Georges goal.
    Great play and pass by George for JJs very well taken goal
    Too many unforced errors and not enough communication within the team.
    JJ had a very good game, got forward and didnt look knackered after 75 mins.
    Henderson is head and shoulders above Hamer, possibly distribution aside.
    Wilson had a good game, was it him who cleared it off the line or Wiggy?
    Wiggy got forward more as well.
    TBH - What a bargain, very cool player, contender for player of the season?

Loved Bikeys tunnel jump.

Chicken Balti pie was loverly.

Shit music at the end.

Someone tried to nick the petrol out my car (Eastmoor St?)

That's about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Grim but we won Bolton completely outplayed us. Oh how we need their no 27 totally bossed midfield.

Tucdean took his goal superbly and unselfishly made the 2nd. We can't keep playing like this. We never strung more than 2 passes together all night. Wiggins was awful.

Agree with your assesment of the team but wiggins awful!?!? Cleared one off the line and barely got beaten all game.

Dodgy start to the season but no idea what you were watching - looking like getting back to his best imo
  • Options
    i thought the wind affected our game more than boltons...we do allow the opposition to keep possession in our half quite a bit but we do cover well ..centre backs looked safe as did wilson ..i think wiggins has definitely lost confidence though ..,he may benefit from a rest ,cousins tried but hes never a left sided midfielder i feel sorry for him, bulot was anonymous (yes i know his name is bulot) jacko and yoni played well ..was happy with George not sure if frank is a midfielder or a striker (and i dont think anyone else is either)...from a squad perspective i think we need to strengthen wings and get a bigger proven striker who can hold the ball up

Bolton have got to count themselves unlucky and whilst i can see our current style can work with performances such as these but it didnt make attractive watching .The pitch looked great ..i think we would look a better side with ventokele ,gudmonssen and a better option left side
  • Options
    Blimey there is so much rubbish on this thread. I don't know if that's because last season conditioned most of us to expect the worst.
  • Options
    We apparently had a player or two lined up before the window closed, and there is the Andy (dodge a bullet) Delort farce to throw into the mix. Plus Bob saying he is 'gambling' with the youngsters. These things suggest to me that the thinness of the squad is high on the agenda.
    I am also pleased that RD didn't give in over Delort, I know he is a rich dude, but some kind of sensible accounting seems to me to be a good thing.
  • Options
    Not convincing; however, the spirit and passion is brilliant.
    I have to say that this is the hardest Championship division I can remember. Top to bottom.
    I would love to have been in the East Stand seeing Bikey charging down that wing. An Elephant gun would not have halted him. Beast!!!
  • Options
    Our tactics appeared wrong for the conditions but we won. Either BP is having a lot of luck or his judgement is better than mine. No prizes for the right answer!!!
  • Options
    I have not read all comments, but interesting comments from those who were there. Averaging over 1 and a half points a game, this would make us mid table if we carry on (69 points). At the beginning of the season I think most of us would have been happy with that. According to Ketts, Vetokele and Gudmondsson will be back for the Sheff Weds game on November 1st. I still think this league is wide open, any one with a good run could win it.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

We apparently had a player or two lined up before the window closed, and there is the Andy (dodge a bullet) Delort farce to throw into the mix. Plus Bob saying he is 'gambling' with the youngsters. These things suggest to me that the thinness of the squad is high on the agenda.
    I am also pleased that RD didn't give in over Delort, I know he is a rich dude, but some kind of sensible accounting seems to me to be a good thing.

...and based on what is happening at Wigan how gutted would we be now if we had spunked 4 million on him (or whatever it was)?