Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clive Mendonca

Comments

• Options
    My all time favourite 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Didn't Hales give another interview when in answer to "what would you be if not a footballer?" he answered "a burglar"
    Yes, was in Shoot! Which was something else he was good at incidentally.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    shirty5 said:
    25 years ago today Clive Mendonca joined Charlton Athletic 
    See, get your transfer business done early…
    One of the best bits we ever did.
    Nearly missed out if Curbs book is to be believed. 
    Clive was not at all impressed with the site seeing tour that Lord Llewellyn had arranged .. UNTIL they, for some reason, arrived in Chigwell, Birds of a Feather territory .. 'Sharon and Tracey, my favourites (I paraphrase)' said Clive, and it seems that being closeish to Birdland was a big part in clinching the deal  :)
  • Options
    I will go to my grave believing that was the best ever Bona fide hat trick scored at Wembley by an English player. ( Was Clive's dad from South America ?)

No shite about the ball being over the line.
    Every goal was quality scored by Clive Mendonca that day and it will always remain so. The bad back is the only reason we went straight down the next season.
    yes Guyana .. this chap was his uncle .. Ivor Mendonca - Wikipedia
  • Options
    I will go to my grave believing that was the best ever Bona fide hat trick scored at Wembley by an English player. ( Was Clive's dad from South America ?)

Every goal was quality scored by Clive Mendonca that day and it will always remain so. The bad back is the only reason we went straight down the next season.
    Could well be right - we drew a lot at home if I remember rightly, wonder if a fit Mendonca could have turned a few of those into wins.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    ross1 said:
    That is some of the deadliest finishing you will ever see
    Proper two footed, and proper run up for the pens.
  • Options
    Remember the day we signed him, was on the train on way home from work & 2 spanners were talking about it. He always seemed to score for Grimsby so was very happy & couldn't wait to find out if it was true.  :D Fantastic signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Could well be right - we drew a lot at home if I remember rightly, wonder if a fit Mendonca could have turned a few of those into wins.
    I reckon so, his record in the Prem was actually really good - 8 goals from 19 starts. 
  • Options

yes Guyana .. this chap was his uncle .. Ivor Mendonca - Wikipedia

Guyana is on the South American mainland but has always been joined at the hip with the Caribbean Islands. Clive's Uncle Ivor's nationality was down as Indian. I think I did hear that Ivor Mendonca had played test cricket for the West Indies now you have put the link to remind me.

• Options
    Wouldn't you have loved to see Clive and Yann in the same team?
    That would have been quite something. Two geniuses. 
  • Options
    Right now, I'd take a Clive Dunn.........
  • Options
    Right now, I'd take Clive Dunn.........

• Options
    Never seen a player before or since that the fan base appreciated so much. We knew how important he was to us, and showed him the respect he deserved 
    Yann must come close to that
    As much as I loved Yann and he certainly was appreciated and revered by the fans, his importance to the club, as a whole, falls far short of Superclive's impact.
    Clive elevated the club, in modern times, to a new level. 
  • Options

also remarkable how many penalties we were awarded during Clive's era .. I can't recall him ever missing one
  • Options

also remarkable how many penalties we were awarded during Clive's era .. I can't recall him ever missing one
    Missed 1 for us, League Cup tie v QPR. We were already 3 0 up in the tie so was a good one to miss
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Missed 1 for us, League Cup tie v QPR. We were already 3 0 up in the tie so was a good one to miss
    cheers .. what a memory you have ((:>)
  • Options
    25yrs ago....Jesus christ! Some brilliant goals there and funny how many you remember watching them back. The one away at Oxford which hits the bar then off the keeper was a big one in our run in. We were losing one nil with 10 mins or so to go and not looking like getting back into it. Then Super Clive and Johnny Robinson scored in quick succession and we won 2-1. Remember saying in the pub after that we were going up. It just felt like it was going to happen!
  • Options
    his 1997 debut at Middlesbrough was my first away game for a long time .. we scored first but lost to a last minute goal .. you could see that we had the makings of a VERY good team and that Mendonca, although he didn't score, was gonna be an integral part .. how right that was 
  • Options
    Never seen a player before or since that the fan base appreciated so much. We knew how important he was to us, and showed him the respect he deserved 
    Yann must come close to that
    As much as I loved Yann and he certainly was appreciated and revered by the fans, his importance to the club, as a whole, falls far short of Superclive's impact.
    Clive elevated the club, in modern times, to a new level. 
    Well you would say that superclive  :D
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    What a hatrick & a great pen
  • Options
    A natural goal scorer and it was all he cared about. We could win 3-0 but if he hadn’t scored he would trudge off the pitch, head down, giving himself a right talking to. 😀