Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parker-'I love everything about that club'

Comments

• Options
    Interestingly, even though I don't normally approve of booing I felt that Parker seemed under pressure when we did boo. I suspect he finds it uncomfortable when the Charlton fans boo him, expecially as he was with us for almost half of his life, even now.

As it seemed to affect his play I have to conclude that, as their best player, it made sense to keep it up.

I, completely, understand and appreciate why he wanted to go but his departure does still make me feel angry, even after all these years.
  • Options
    Halix said:

- by the way on todays performance I think I would take him back as he still is pretty effective.

Yep, a few aimless balls into touch, he fit right in. ;-)
    Best days behind now, I'll be glad when he hangs his boots up and we can finally stop having this annual thread.
  • Options

Halix said:

- by the way on todays performance I think I would take him back as he still is pretty effective.

Yep, a few aimless balls into touch, he fit right in. ;-)
    Best days behind now, I'll be glad when he hangs his boots up and we can finally stop having this annual thread.
    Annual thread, its the first time we have been in the same league as his team for years
  • Options
    When was the last time we played against Parker at the Valley? I presume it was our final PL season, when he was at Newcastle?
  • Options

Would those same individuals who despise Parker and abuse him so much think and act the same way had it been their son or brother in that position of making that "dream" move at that time?

It would surely be hypocritical to do anything else wouldn't it? Judging by some people's long memories, it's got to be the footballing equivalent of sleeping with your brother's wife so why wouldn't you react in exactly the same way?

I also hope that Michael Turner got the same level of abuse. Our Young Player Of The Year in 2004 somehow managed to secure himself a transfer for peanuts when all along he was worth millions. Now there's someone who really owes us.

Can hardly blame Turner for leaving, he was given a free transfer by the club. Yet another masterstroke by the club during the complacency years.
    I wasn't blaming Turner and the comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

The irony is that Curbs is now "managing" both Parker and Turner - one he wasn't happy to let go for £10m and the other he was prepared to release for nothing.
  • Options

Couldn't put it better myself - embarrassing and time to remember him as a true Charlton talent who netted the club £10m. Roland Duchatelet will sell any of our current squad for half that, eight years later.

Utterly stupid comparison.

When we sold Parker, we were 4th in the Premier league. Parker was easily worth £10 million.

Now, we are a mid placed Championship side. With FFP, despite some ridiculous transfer fees because of parachute payments, (step forward Fulham and McCormack) do you really think any of our players are worth what Parker was worth at the time?

If you must find a stick to beat Duchatalet with, can you not look for a less ridiculous one?

- fair point re our PL status but at £10m then, we had to sell and will do the same again now in spite of the current owners wealth compared to those in Parker's day. It was eleven years ago, not eight....
  • Options
    I don't understand the people complaining about the age of the people being and that there too young to remember Parker, that shouldn't matter,I believe that is what started the rot setting in at our football club when he threw his toys out the pram and that's part of our history, it's like saying I shouldn't be allowed to hold a grudge against Palace for our treatment at Palace because I didn't go to my first game until 1993. For the record, I didn't boo or swear but those who did I can understand whatever age they are.
  • Options
    At the time like most I was pissed off we were on for our best ever league position and Parkers move scuppered that potential European finish.
    Move on 10 years I really couldn't give a toss. However because we need pantomime villians in football and notwithstanding the power of the 12th man I'm all for booing an ex player if required and it effects their game.
    Can't wait for the return of the greedy Frenchman.
    A sunny day, the last match of the season and frog baiting....what a wonderful end to the season.
  • Options
    Time we moved on I think. The way he went about securing the move was pretty disgraceful and describing him as a great servant to the club is borderline ridiculous, he learned his trade with us and pissed off at the first (and wrong) opportunity.

He actually was little more than a kid when he left though, not all that surprising he behaved like one. I'm sure we all did things when we were that age that we look back on and don't feel particularly proud of, and probably without the incentive of millions of pounds and fulfilling our dreams driving them. All of us that watched Parker that season know that he paid the price for his behavior, I honestly think he could have integrated into the Arsenal or Man U teams had he waited. Decent career that he's had, he never fulfilled what he was capable of.

I think we expect unrealistic maturity and decision making from young men that we idolise and throw money at and generally set up to behave in the exact opposite way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best player on the pitch last night.
  • Options

Best player on the pitch last night.

I thought he had a good game too, especially when he was doubtful to start, it may be because every touch was highlighted by boos that his performance stood out.
  • Options
    probably that transfer changed the destiny of the club and it was all downhill from there.still hate chelsea cos of that transfer .
  • Options
    I thought he was terrible last night. Gave the ball away a lot, couldn't tackle. Was looking forward to seeing him play but was quite saddened that he is a less than quarter of the player he used to be.
  • Options
    He was my favourite player growing up as a kid,he left to better his career.If you got offered 5x or 10x what your earning now to do the same job somewhere else,you would take it.Regardless of how he supposedly left us,which has never been confirmed.He's a class player even now,and one who has had a good career,so move on get over it,no need to abuse man just for the sake of wanting a row.
  • Options
    I tried, Sheldon-like, when the players returned for the second half, to focus the power of my brain onto persuading a groundsman to ram the tines of his fork with maximum force through the little shit's chest. I wonder if I'd have felt bad if I'd succeeded?
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

He was my favourite player growing up as a kid,he left to better his career.If you got offered 5x or 10x what your earning now to do the same job somewhere else,you would take it.Regardless of how he supposedly left us,which has never been confirmed.He's a class player even now,and one who has had a good career,so move on get over it,no need to abuse man just for the sake of wanting a row.

Everyone entitled to their opinions amigo. I don't think either that you can draw comparisons to what footballers earn to normal people. I doubt there are many footballers, even in the lower divisions that don't enjoy a very lucrative lifestyle. Pure greed, which given those who work as hard as they do to follow and support teams all over the country, it doesn't sit well. Unfortunately the likes of Mark Kinsella and SCP are rare as rocking horse shit ! Parker could have agreed a deal and left at the end of the season, which was probably our most successful in the prem.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Think it's just an unfortunate trait of the Charlton fanbase. Often looking for a reason to be offended and to show some sort of contrived emotion/fake outrage.

Are people genuinely that angry over 10 years on?

Fucking sad if you ask me.

We didn't ask you though did we? And yes I'm still angry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Booing parker is fine imo calling him a greedy bstd is fine too as it's part and parcel of his departure

Must admit I don't even feel anything towards him, don't like him don't dislike him non plus about him totally

You can't remove that from football,

What makes no sense is hatred bile and abuse that goes past the panto boos and jeers

Singing about Adam Johnson being a nonce is just very very weird he plays for Sunderland not Fulham

The song about Adam Johnson just made me cringe.
  • Options

Booing parker is fine imo calling him a greedy bstd is fine too as it's part and parcel of his departure

Must admit I don't even feel anything towards him, don't like him don't dislike him non plus about him totally

You can't remove that from football,

What makes no sense is hatred bile and abuse that goes past the panto boos and jeers

Singing about Adam Johnson being a nonce is just very very weird he plays for Sunderland not Fulham

Agreed... I booed his name when it was read out just before the match but for the rest of the match I just ignored him.

For me the way Parker reacted the way he did in front of the North Stand means that the abuse went way past the panto style jeering and I couldnt join in with it
  • Options
    I too was angry when Parker left, but mostly disappointed and it didn't launch what should have been a sparkling career. Ultimately neither party really got the best of that.

For the record we didn't sell because we had £10m dangled under our nose. Parker made it impossible for him to stay. He was an injury away from losing what must have looked a dream opportunity for him - we might have handled it better, but I think most of us would have wanted to make the same decision in his shoes. Blame Chelsea if anyone, he was just a kid.

But for God's sake, he's hardly Darren Pitcher is he. He's only had nice things to say about us.

We had too few years of him, but he was a wonderful player, made a huge contribution whilst he was here, and most of all was one of our own. No way should he have been a target last night.

But as AFKA says, if you were too young to be there and not bright enough to get it, then by all means go for him. Next up for the next generation, Chris Powell, who left us 3 times, the Judas...
  • Options
    rikofold said:

I too was angry when Parker left, but mostly disappointed and it didn't launch what should have been a sparkling career. Ultimately neither party really got the best of that.

For the record we didn't sell because we had £10m dangled under our nose. Parker made it impossible for him to stay. He was an injury away from losing what must have looked a dream opportunity for him - we might have handled it better, but I think most of us would have wanted to make the same decision in his shoes. Blame Chelsea if anyone, he was just a kid.

But for God's sake, he's hardly Darren Pitcher is he. He's only had nice things to say about us.

We had too few years of him, but he was a wonderful player, made a huge contribution whilst he was here, and most of all was one of our own. No way should he have been a target last night.

But as AFKA says, if you were too young to be there and not bright enough to get it, then by all means go for him. Next up for the next generation, Chris Powell, who left us 3 times, the Judas...

I was old enough to be there and I am bright enough to get it. For the sake of clarity, Parker threatened to renege on a recently signed very lucrative long-term contract and said he would down tools if he was not granted his move. In any other profession that sort of behaviour would have made him unemployable. He deserves all the abuse he gets.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @cafcfan and others, out of interest would you also boo all game and feel it acceptable to give dogs abuse to what I'd class as other fellow 100%ers like Herman Heireddesson or Di Canio who also demanded moves away from us ?
  • Options
    In recent years we have also given it to Denny Murphy, and bizzarely to Dave Mooney FFS. Last time it happened away at Colchester and it really was Charlton Pathetic in my view.
  • Options

@cafcfan and others, out of interest would you also boo all game and feel it acceptable to give dogs abuse to what I'd class as other fellow 100%ers like Herman Heireddesson who also demanded moves away from us ?

Herman, well he had the "relegation clause" in his contract didn't he? And it was a summer move. So, on the one hand, it's the Club's choice as to whether to go with that; on the other hand, during that last season, Herman's performance levels were way, way, below what we had become used to from him. I have my suspicions as to why he was so bad. So, in his case, I'm ambivalent really. However he wasn't actually threatening to breach his contract was he?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

rikofold said:

I was old enough to be there and I am bright enough to get it. For the sake of clarity, Parker threatened to renege on a recently signed very lucrative long-term contract and said he would down tools if he was not granted his move. In any other profession that sort of behaviour would have made him unemployable. He deserves all the abuse he gets.
    And you imagine the club has always respected their employees' contracts over the years?

Lucrative is relative. He was offered 3 times that to go to Chelsea. That contract also helped achieve his true value, of course, but players leave football clubs and we've always been a selling club. No one is defending his behaviour at the time, but unlike Murphy he was a kid at the time.

More to the point, since we're drawing workplace analogies, I can't think of many office situations where an employer would think twice because you behaved badly at a previous job 10 years earlier when you were a kid. Not when what you can bring them substantially outweighs it. But we're not talking other businesses, we're talking football - where killers and rapists are routinely re-employed.

Parker was a kid who shone brilliantly in our team a long time ago. I honestly don't get the mentality that wants to forget that and maintain a grudge on something perhaps even Parker now regrets.

The club didn't have to sell him either - they had a contact remember.

• Options

Find it all embarrassing now.

Lot of upset at the time, but the vast majority of us have had our say over the years and have all moved on. In amongst that was the fact he was the best footballer I've seen play for Charlton in my life.

I looked around tonight and no lie, the vast majority of those giving him dogs abuse (when they wasn't taking their shirts off, and bizarrely singing about Adam Johnson being a peodophile, wtf has that got to do with Charlton v Fulham??) would have aged around 3 when he left us.

This with bells on it. I genuinely think people that talk about hating Parker don't remember Muscat.

In hindsight we got ten million for SP and he set his career back a good few years, if he was being honest he probably regrets leaving when he did and what he did to engineer the move.