Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parker-'I love everything about that club'

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely this ^.
  • Options

I do find the argument that Parker was responsible and to blame for us not getting into Europe an interesting one.

Parker was and never has been a goalscoring midfielder in the mold of a Lampard or a Gerard - he scored just nine in 128 League games for us. He was the engine room and his asset is driving the team forward and breaking down the opposition. So we are not talking about losing a Darren Bent at the height of his abilities.

Now if we then consider where we got a large number of our points with Parker it was away from home. But look at who we still had to play on the road after he left - Arsenal (finished 1st), Chelsea (2nd ), Man United (3rd), Liverpool (4th ), Newcastle (5th), Fulham (9th), Everton (17th) and Leeds (19th).

That is an extremely hard set of fixtures. In addition, Parker might well have missed some for us through suspension or injury but, even if he hadn't, there is absolutely no doubt, because of the way he plays, he would have been a spent force at some pint in the season.

Yes we missed out by four points. One could argue on the basis of probability that, had Parker stayed, we might have bridged that gap but there is absolutely no guarantee we would have achieved the sort of results we did in his absence (away to Liverpool for example) let alone the extra points required.

So, should we really be making him such a scapegoat for destroying the European dream when there are simply so many other factors involve? And abusing him both verbally and physically in throwing coins at him won't change that situation.

AA, I don't mean this to sound disrespectful, but your piece comes across like the passionless view of somebody utterly ambivalent that your club was close to making history only to see their chances sabotaged.
    Personally I care more about that than Scott Parkers hurt feelings.
    I also resent the view of myself and others who share them being undermined by a lunatic minority who verbally and physically abuse Parker

I do have passion for things that matter.

And our best player; the fulcrum of our side and the way we played, walking out in January when we were 4th in the table and with a once in a lifetime shot at Europe.
    Did this matter to you?
    Yes but not as much as the day we picked up a leaflet upon arrival at the Stoke game telling us that this would be the last game at the Valley.

And not as much as when Killer, Paul Walsh and Paul Elliot were sold by the Club. Perhaps that taught me that players are just commodities. So to let Parker's departure fester (when we got top dollar unlike most of the time we've sold our stars of the future) with me for a decade was never going to happen.

Parker should have waited 'til the end of the season and then gone to a Newcastle or Villa where he would have been first choice and built his career from there. How much do you think we would have got by comparison from those Clubs at that time?

As the father of a young lad finding his way in another sport I have also become more aware with how professional outfits actually do or don't look after the players of the future. And for every Parker and Defoe there are thousands that have shown devotion to Charlton every step of the way only for their dream to be shattered. I'd rather waste my energies hoping that those "discards" find their way in life than become wrapped up in hating a former player who, when he was on the pitch, gave his all.

Hope that helps you to understand.
    Don't see why you have to justify your "passion" to anyone.
  • Options

I do find the argument that Parker was responsible and to blame for us not getting into Europe an interesting one.

Parker was and never has been a goalscoring midfielder in the mold of a Lampard or a Gerard - he scored just nine in 128 League games for us. He was the engine room and his asset is driving the team forward and breaking down the opposition. So we are not talking about losing a Darren Bent at the height of his abilities.

Now if we then consider where we got a large number of our points with Parker it was away from home. But look at who we still had to play on the road after he left - Arsenal (finished 1st), Chelsea (2nd ), Man United (3rd), Liverpool (4th ), Newcastle (5th), Fulham (9th), Everton (17th) and Leeds (19th).

That is an extremely hard set of fixtures. In addition, Parker might well have missed some for us through suspension or injury but, even if he hadn't, there is absolutely no doubt, because of the way he plays, he would have been a spent force at some pint in the season.

Yes we missed out by four points. One could argue on the basis of probability that, had Parker stayed, we might have bridged that gap but there is absolutely no guarantee we would have achieved the sort of results we did in his absence (away to Liverpool for example) let alone the extra points required.

So, should we really be making him such a scapegoat for destroying the European dream when there are simply so many other factors involve? And abusing him both verbally and physically in throwing coins at him won't change that situation.

AA, I don't mean this to sound disrespectful, but your piece comes across like the passionless view of somebody utterly ambivalent that your club was close to making history only to see their chances sabotaged.
    I also resent the view of myself and others who share them being undermined by a lunatic minority who verbally and physically abuse Parker

And our best player; the fulcrum of our side and the way we played, walking out in January when we were 4th in the table and with a once in a lifetime shot at Europe.
    Did this matter to you?
    Yes but .
    Unfortunately, I can't shrug it off so easily.
    Diverting the argument towards other significant disappointments in the clubs history may help to give you perspective, but doesn't diminish the disappointment I felt and yes I suppose it still festers. I don't think I am alone in that.
    I don't expect us to get another shot at Europe in my lifetime.
    But clearly that matters more to me than it does to you

• Options
    edited October 2014

Did this matter to you?
    Yes but .
    Diverting the argument towards other significant disappointments in the clubs history may help to give you perspective, but doesn't diminish the disappointment I felt and yes I suppose it still festers. I don't think I am alone in that.

And what would we have done in Europe mate? Answer - we don't know, the same as we don’t know if we would have even made qualification for Europe! It's all supposition and seriously we all need to let go, I did years ago, you will feel better for it trust me :-)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Did this matter to you?
    Yes but .

And what would we we have done in Europe mate? Answer - we don't know, the same as we don’t know if we would have even made qualification for Europe! It's all supposition and seriously we all need to let go, I did years ago, you will feel better for it trust me :-)
    Aah, for the simple pleasures of a perennial Championship club, with the occasional foray into League One.
    By jove you're right. I feel better already :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I know it's hard but what a season in league 1, records busted everywhere :-) And they are proper memories not pipe dreams (winky smiley thing).
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I know it's hard but what a season in league 1, records busted everywhere :-) And they are proper memories not pipe dreams (winky smiley thing).

Not pipe dreams Red, shattered dreams.
    Oh hell, I just won't let go will I?

:-)
  • Options
    You can do it repeat after me Oooo Scotty Parker, Oooo Scotty Parker. On second thoughts give that a miss. :-)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

You can do it repeat after me Oooo Scotty Parker, Oooo Scotty Parker. On second thoughts give that a miss. :-)

Genuine LOL
    Thanks for that.(?)
  • Options

Did this matter to you?
    Yes but not as much as the day we picked up a leaflet upon arrival at the Stoke game telling us that this would be the last game at the Valley.

Your memory is failing you. The infamous leaflet was handed out at (what was supposed to be) the penultimate game at The Valley, ironically in a match against Crystal Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Did this matter to you?

Your memory is failing you. The infamous leaflet was handed out at (what was supposed to be) the penultimate game at The Valley, ironically in a match against Crystal Palace.
    That is the problem with getting old and sadly if you were to ask me I couldn't even tell you the score in the Palace or Stoke game even though I was at both. And I also haven't got a clue what happened to the bit of Valley turf I dug up at the end of that final game either.

All of that doesn't change what an impact that decision to leave had on my support of Charlton Athletic.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Only reason he got sold was because someone from our club signed a transfer contract with Chelsea.

If that doesn't happen, he doesn't get sold.

True, although Parker refusing to do his job did not exactly help us.
    Spot on - he held the club to ransom surely you remember the scenario MrOL?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Yes, I remember the mighty Dag & Red recording their first ever win over us, and us having enough loan signings to run a league of our own !
  • Options
    edited October 2014

RedChaser said:

Yes, I remember the mighty Dag & Red recording their first ever win over us, and us having enough loan signings to run a league of our own !
    Once you've hit rock bottom there's only one way to go and that's why the record breaking season 2011/12 was all the sweeter, is still to the forefront of my mind whilst the other stuff including Parker's departure has been consigned to the memory dustbin, give it a try. :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Did this matter to you?

And not as much as when Killer, Paul Walsh and Paul Elliot were sold by the Club. Perhaps that taught me that players are just commodities. So to let Parker's departure fester (when we got top dollar unlike most of the time we've sold our stars of the future) with me for a decade was never going to happen.

Parker should have waited 'til the end of the season and then gone to a Newcastle or Villa where he would have been first choice and built his career from there. How much do you think we would have got by comparison from those Clubs at that time?

As the father of a young lad finding his way in another sport I have also become more aware with how professional outfits actually do or don't look after the players of the future. And for every Parker and Defoe there are thousands that have shown devotion to Charlton every step of the way only for their dream to be shattered. I'd rather waste my energies hoping that those "discards" find their way in life than become wrapped up in hating a former player who, when he was on the pitch, gave his all.

They were sold by the club on the club's terms, they didn't go on strike. The club were nowhere near the position they were in 2004, the comparison is irrelevant.
    The comparison might be irrelevant to you but it certainly isn't to me.

As for a "strike" please don't get carried away with that notion. Curbs only had to say "you aren't going" and Parker would still have turned up to play. Because he is a pro and you won't find a single person in the game who will say otherwise.

But getting £10 million for a player now who isn't happy from cash rich Chelsea as opposed to £5 million at the end of the season from someone like Newcastle might just have tipped the scales don't you think? Because Chelsea weren't going to wait 'til the end of the season that's for certain.
  • Options
    kermogant and parker in the same sentence is the only right bit of the post Treacey both wanted more money and spat their dummies out to get it
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Did this matter to you?

They were sold by the club on the club's terms, they didn't go on strike. The club were nowhere near the position they were in 2004, the comparison is irrelevant.

As for a "strike" please don't get carried away with that notion. Curbs only had to say "you aren't going" and Parker would still have turned up to play. Because he is a pro and you won't find a single person in the game who will say otherwise.

But getting £10 million for a player now who isn't happy from cash rich Chelsea as opposed to £5 million at the end of the season from someone like Newcastle might just have tipped the scales don't you think? Because Chelsea weren't going to wait 'til the end of the season that's for certain.
    Perhaps irrelevant is the wrong word, I don't know what is actually, but the circumstances were so different as to invite no comparison.

Parker certainly refused to play. *

He was on a five year contract, he was getting better and better, as was the team he played for. I think most (honest) folk would agree that he was a shoe in for Euro 2014, what on earth makes you think he would have gone to someone like Newcastle for just £5m that summer?

* Edit - humble pie. I have checked and I am wrong about this. Apologies AA.
  • Options

Did this matter to you?

Perhaps irrelevant is the wrong word, I don't know what is actually, but the circumstances were so different as to invite no comparison.

He was on a five year contract, he was getting better and better, as was the team he played for. I think most (honest) folk would agree that he was a shoe in for Euro 2014, what on earth makes you think he would have gone to someone like Newcastle for just £5m that summer?

OK let's set aside what we would have got for him and just agree we wouldn't have received as much from any other team at the end of the season than we did from Chelsea.

Going back to Parker expressing his desire to leave in that window and my assertion that Curbs could have played "hard ball" with him.

To me the world is made up of two types of individuals in this situation - on the one hand someone like Winston Bogarde who carried on taking the money and let his contract run out. And on the other someone like Morgan Schneirderlin at Southampton.

As we know Schneirdelin, following the sales of Shaw, Chambers, Lambert, Lovren and Lallana, demanded a move pre season. He was told he couldn't leave and expressed his anger at that decision via social media.

So what has happened? Well Schneirdelin has played every minute of every League game this season and Southampton currently lie second.

I'd like to think, knowing what I do know about Parker, that had we refused that request he would have reacted in the same way as Schneirdelin. And given that we couldn't get a ready made replacement for him and that we would get a decent fee for him at the end of the season, what did we have to lose by adopting that stance?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One Greedy Bastard
  • Options
    Did anyone return the toys he threw out of his cot in 2004? No? there's always the return fixture.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Did anyone return the toys he threw out of his cot in 2004? No? there's always the return fixture.

I'm sure we could get a discount for a bulk purchase...

amazon.co.uk/County-Sales-Soothers-Dummies-Pacifiers/dp/B00FRIHWBK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1414509615&sr=8-12&keywords=babies+dummies

Or some nice badges:

• Options
    it would be amazing if cafc fans did actually bring some dummies/babies toys to chuck on the pitch when we play fulham in the return fixture. The club would probably get fined though...
  • Options

Did this matter to you?

OK let's set aside what we would have got for him and just agree we wouldn't have received as much from any other team at the end of the season than we did from Chelsea.

Going back to Parker expressing his desire to leave in that window and my assertion that Curbs could have played "hard ball" with him.

To me the world is made up of two types of individuals in this situation - on the one hand someone like Winston Bogarde who carried on taking the money and let his contract run out. And on the other someone like Morgan Schneirderlin at Southampton.

As we know Schneirdelin, following the sales of Shaw, Chambers, Lambert, Lovren and Lallana, demanded a move pre season. He was told he couldn't leave and expressed his anger at that decision via social media.

So what has happened? Well Schneirdelin has played every minute of every League game this season and Southampton currently lie second.

I'd like to think, knowing what I do know about Parker, that had we refused that request he would have reacted in the same way as Schneirdelin. And given that we couldn't get a ready made replacement for him and that we would get a decent fee for him at the end of the season, what did we have to lose by adopting that stance?
    I think you misunderstand my edit, I was talking about the refusal to play. He was never fined for refusing to play, and according to Chris Parkes, Curbs was red hot on that sort of thing, and he would have been disciplined had he done so. He may have made noises, spat his dummy out etc, but I was wrong to assert he actually refused.

As for the price at the end of the season, I am in wholehearted agreement with Prague, although we can never know what might have been, I think the scenario he paints is the most accurate (given that Parker didn't sustain a long term injury between Jan and May...).
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Only reason he got sold was because someone from our club signed a transfer contract with Chelsea.

We only sold him last day of the window.

Any ransom holding he may or may not have done would have been over by the next day when he could no longer be sold.

The club should not have sold him.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

We only sold him last day of the window.

Any ransom holding he may or may not have done would have been over by the next day when he could no longer be sold.

The club should not have sold him.
    I confess to being mistaken on the actual refusal to play, but he played his last game on Jan 10th, and did not play at Everton the next week as he was demanding to be let go to Chelsea and was not in the right frame of mind to play for us. He was insisting that he be allowed to move. So our club wanting him to go was not the "only reason" why he got sold. He did not want to play for us any more.
  • Options
    But what would he have done if not sold?
    Not play rest for rest of the season or bust a gut to keep himself in shop window?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But what would he have done if not sold?
    Not play rest for rest of the season or bust a gut to keep himself in shop window?

The club - both the directors and Curbs - were concerned that he would not play to anywhere near the best of his ability, causing our form to suffer, unrest among the other players, and a reduction in his value in the summer because of his attitude. He had also threatened to "go to the papers" as detailed in Curbs' book. Indeed either his agent or someone from Chelsea had already gone to the papers. The Sun played a dirty game throughout the saga (which I complained to the PCC about) and the club feared that was just a taste of what was to come.

It's a risk you too might not have wanted to take if you were in their shoes.