Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parker-'I love everything about that club'

167891012»

Comments

• Options

Parker was 10 years ago
    Defoe was 15 years ago

Can any one name a player longer than that we would give stick too ?

Where's Lee Bowyer playing these days ?

Lee Bowyer never got any stick in fact was cheered all the time, until he was arrested for racially aggravated assault and some of the vulgarities that came from his mouth were revealed. Different kettle of fish altogether Defoe and Parker never done anything like that.
  • Options

Parker was 10 years ago
    Defoe was 15 years ago

Can any one name a player longer than that we would give stick too ?

Where's Lee Bowyer playing these days ?

Lee Bowyer's retired. There probably aren't too many older than Parker playing.
  • Options
    A couple of pages back someone mentioned Herman and the "relegation clause". I was present at a supporters club meeting a while afterwards and this was mentioned to Richard Murray - his response was he wished that more players had used a clause like that - many contracts were set up never assuming we could get relegated so he had players on huge salaries he could no longer afford, who were under-performing but refused to move on.
  • Options
    Mountains out of mole hills come to mind. His departure was poor timing and made him look like just another selfish footballer in it for the money. However you can't forget he was a bloody good player for us who was one of our own. Personally i don't see whats wrong with booing him, its not genioune hatred more just voicing your dissapointment at his choice to leave.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

A couple of pages back someone mentioned Herman and the "relegation clause". I was present at a supporters club meeting a while afterwards and this was mentioned to Richard Murray - his response was he wished that more players had used a clause like that - many contracts were set up never assuming we could get relegated so he had players on huge salaries he could no longer afford, who were under-performing but refused to move on.

Wouldn't clauses such as these have been down to Murray himself or someone on his behalf?

Staggering the club never thought we could get relegated at some point.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Wouldn't clauses such as these have been down to Murray himself or someone on his behalf?

Staggering the club never thought we could get relegated at some point.
    Yes it was staggering - incompetent even. I'm not sure exactly who was at fault, but Murray was certain it wouldn't happen again as long as he had anything to do with running the club.
  • Options
    milo said:

I think most are forgetting we also got Carlton Cole as part of the deal. Now that, in my view, really is something that's going to take a decade or two to get over

We never signed him was only ever on loan and if I remember rightly he said he hated it at charlton and it was a horrible club to train with, guess he didn't like being made to work.
  • Options

Mountains out of mole hills come to mind. His departure was poor timing and made him look like just another selfish footballer in it for the money. However you can't forget he was a bloody good player for us who was one of our own. Personally i don't see whats wrong with booing him, its not genioune hatred more just voicing your dissapointment at his choice to leave.

Not just booing him though is it, chanting Parker Parker you're a cxxx while he's interviewd by Sky Sports after Fulham away says a lot about some of our fans mentality.

milo said:

I think most are forgetting we also got Carlton Cole as part of the deal. Now that, in my view, really is something that's going to take a decade or two to get over

We never signed him was only ever on loan and if I remember rightly he said he hated it at charlton and it was a horrible club to train with, guess he didn't like being made to work.
    He was on a two year loan and said he would not come back after the first year, I believe Chelsea paid some compensation. In his last appearance for us I believe he came on as sub, scored did nothing else and was subbed off.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Against Southampton at the Valley?

Don't remember him being taken off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cole was quite good in the 2nd half of that season
  • Options
    That's exactly what I remember him for, being subbed on then subbed off. Never seen it before or since. Lazy is an understatement.
  • Options
    Cole was a funny one, had all the attributes except the attitude. Didn't Sol Campbell (or might have been Ledley King cos Big Sol was probably at Arsenal by then) say after we beat Spurs at White Hart Lane that Cole gave him the toughest afternoon he had that season. Bit of a wasted talent.
  • Options
    I remember Cole looking decent, was only 19 at the time but was as strong as an ox. Think there were some nasty allegations doing the rounds about him at the time which couldn't have helped.
  • Options
    Think we played Villa late on in the season and Cole was subbed and his agent was on to Curbs on the Monday after the game having a moan up !
  • Options
    Was roasting that season carlton
  • Options

Someone correct me if I am wrong but Parker was supposed to have gone to his beloved Spurs the summer before he actually left. We bought Matt Holland to replace him but the move to Spurs fell through which is why we had Parker and Holland that season. So he wanted to leave long before he actually did.

Probably because Levy offered only £25k and a set of training bibs.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but Parker was supposed to have gone to his beloved Spurs the summer before he actually left. We bought Matt Holland to replace him but the move to Spurs fell through which is why we had Parker and Holland that season. So he wanted to leave long before he actually did.

Probably because Levy offered only £25k and a set of training bibs.
    Well Keith Peacock signed Tony Cascarino for Gillingham from Crockenhill for a set of tracksuits so I suppose, relatively speaking, Levy, for the first time in his life, would have paid over the top!
  • Options
    Cole's always had an attitude problem, ask any hamster supporter, the guy has the talent and physical attributes to be a good prem striker, just can never be bothered.
  • Options
    Hermann 100%? 100% he didn't give a toss during his final two years here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    milo said:

I may be misremembering this, but didn't Cole once come on as a sub and played so poorly that he was taken off again later in the game?

• Options
    Yes its mentioned further up the thread.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

milo said:

I may be misremembering this, but didn't Cole once come on as a sub and played so poorly that he was taken off again later in the game?

i'm not sure. Can anyone else corroborate with this?

Another memory of carlton cole, wasn't he once subbed on and subbed off in the same game?
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Hermann 100%? 100% he didn't give a toss during his final two years here!

Bit harsh.