Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Decent away followings of the last 25 years........

I'm talking about when we take either more than what would normally be our average, or were a lot more vocal than what would normally been our average.

How often has that been rewarded with victory ?

I can only really think of two off the top of my head -

1. Palace away, massive turnout, Kitson winner, "we'll never play you again'

2. Port Vale, the one Operation that seemed to come up trumps.

Other than that, every single decent, above expectation turnout I can't remember a single win from.

No doubt we will go and win up at Leeds infront of 143.

Any others i'm missing ?

Comments

• Coventry in the Cup perhaps. Definitely a short list though.
  • Play offs?
  • Was thinking exactly the same the same the other day. Whenever we take a big crowd we flop.

I suppose there is a few in the prem, Arsenal 4-2 Chelsea on a few occasions. Leyton Orient in league 1 when we won 2-1. The only problem is they are all London teams. Besides Port Vale which was free travel, I cant really think of any.
  • Bristol City in the cup was a good turn out and we didn't lose, didn't win either but won the replay and went to Man Utd.
  • We had 10,000 at United.
  • Fair calls, so we have:

April 1998 - Port Vale away (1-0)
    May 1998 - Ipswich play-off (1-0
    Jan 2000 - Cov in Cup (3-2)
    Mar 2000 - Palace Away (1-0)
  • Before my time, but I reckon our turnout at the Battle of the Bridge merits a place on that list, a draw that was effectively a victory.
  • Villa away 3-4
  • Sheff Wed in the cup on a Monday night last year was quite a lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• The thread starter makes a good point, the idea that a large (and vocal) away support translates into better results rarely happens.
  • edited October 2014
    Stone said:

Villa away 3-4

Good spot, a real do or die.

In general, we normally fall over when there's a big turnout - if you go back to 1975, the penultimate game a Chesterfield was all set up for a promotion party, but that ended up 0-2, at least it set up the Preston game nicely.

There was a good showing at Fulham in the 4th round of the cup in 1981 which we won, followed by an even bigger one at Ipswich which we lost - although they were one of the best teams in the country at the time.

Bit outside the 25 year cut off, but I'm struggling here:-)
  • Does Brentford away when BWP scored the winner fit the bill?
  • April 1998 - Port Vale away (1-0)
    May 1998 - Ipswich play-off (1-0)
    May 1999 - Villa away (4-3)
    Jan 2000 - Cov in Cup (3-2)
    Mar 2000 - Palace Away (1-0)
  • Does Brentford away when BWP scored the winner fit the bill?

No
  • 3k at southampton a few years ago and won 1 0
  • Palace away when todorov scored winner? 07?
  • 3k at southampton a few years ago and won 1 0

we sold 3,000 for the previous game at St Mary's (think it was 0-0?), but didn't for this one.

• Sponsored links:

• Ipswich away in play-offs was a huge game but not a huge support (restricted by allocation of course).
    I'd even argue Villa was not a huge support at approx 3k (standard prem allocation) but was again a huge game.
  • Blackburn away in the Cup? (Pitcher's winner)
  • Blackburn away in the Cup? (Pitcher's winner)

Not really that many of us there that night, were there?
  • Blackburn away in '92, must have been about 1500 to 2000. I can barely remember anything about it apart from it was the first time I saw Alan Wright. Couldn't believe how small he was. We had little possesion, but were good value for the win, especially as Blackburn were one of the first super teams in the second tier with the money they spent. But I can't for the life of me remember who scored... Robert Lee?
  • Oxford United away when we won 1-0 and Charlie Wright saved a penalty. More of us in the ground than home support.
  • ColinTat said:

Blackburn away in '92, must have been about 1500 to 2000. I can barely remember anything about it apart from it was the first time I saw Alan Wright. Couldn't believe how small he was. We had little possesion, but were good value for the win, especially as Blackburn were one of the first super teams in the second tier with the money they spent. But I can't for the life of me remember who scored... Robert Lee?

And Leaburn I think.
  • Sheff W 0 Reds 1 - JJ scored
  • 98 Playoff Final
    Boro away in the FA Cup quarter finals
    Fulham away in the cup
    Any Palace away game
    Coventry in the cup
  • 98 Playoff Final
    Boro away in the FA Cup quarter finals
    Fulham away in the cup
    Any Palace away game
    Coventry in the cup

We lost 2 of them.
  • For noise, 2-2 at Arsenal, us in yellow just after the news we were going back to The Valley.