Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Decent away followings of the last 25 years........

Comments

• Options
    Bristol City 94 FA Cup. Six thousand fans.
    Ipswich 81 FA Cup. Five/Six thousand fans
  • Options
    Chelsea away Carling Cup 2006 a lot there I think?
  • Options

98 Playoff Final
    Boro away in the FA Cup quarter finals
    Fulham away in the cup
    Any Palace away game
    Coventry in the cup

We lost 2 of them.
    So?
  • Options

98 Playoff Final
    Fulham away in the cup
    Any Palace away game
    Coventry in the cup

We lost 2 of them.
    So?
    Tsk, tsk. Read the original post young man!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

98 Playoff Final
    Fulham away in the cup
    Any Palace away game
    Coventry in the cup

We lost 2 of them.
    So?
    Tsk, tsk. Read the original post young man!
    Ahhhhh, fair enough!
  • Options
    Spurs in 1985 NEARLY made the list (Flanagan's last minute shot....) but in truth most of best aways have been in front of hardly anyone (which is one of the reasons they feel extra good in the first place!) The Middlesbrough, 2-1, Tommy Caton pen winner game was a particular favourite of mine from that genre.
  • Options

Blackburn away in the Cup? (Pitcher's winner)

Not really that many of us there that night, were there?

I can't remember how many we had there but I seem to remember we were in good voice?!? Maybe I'm just easily pleased.
  • Options
    I maybe wrong here because I was only young at the time but I remember a good turn out against Southend 92/93 season remember us winning 2-0 Leaburn scored one I think and Stan Collymore playing for Southend
  • Options
    Nottingham Forest away in the 2000 title winning season. Didn`t we have 7,000 there that day?
  • Options
    seem to recall a good mid week turnout at Sheff utd in the 90's. Cannot recall the reason / result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fa Cup replay, lost 3.1? We drew 0.0 at Upton Park on a Sunday lunchtime in the first game
  • Options
    Portsmouth away in 2000 title winning season. We had the whole end that day and won 2.0
  • Options
    West ham away when we won 1-0 pardew. No 1 at upton park we had a few there that day and a great atmosphere
  • Options
    90/91 Bristol City 1-0
    91/92 Portsmouth 2-1
    92/93 West Ham 1-0
    95/96 Norwich 1-0
    97/98 QPR 4-2
    97/98 Port Vale 1-0
    97/98 Ipswich 1-0
    98/99 Derby 2-0
    98/99 A Villa 4-3
    99/00 Coventry 2-1
    99/00 Palace 1-0
    00/01 Chelsea 1-0
    09/10 Orient 2-1
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Spurs in 1985 NEARLY made the list (Flanagan's last minute shot....) but in truth most of best aways have been in front of hardly anyone (which is one of the reasons they feel extra good in the first place!) The Middlesbrough, 2-1, Tommy Caton pen winner game was a particular favourite of mine from that genre.

They went fckin mental when they equalised and they were still cheering when we got the penalty.
    Animals they were, didn't care if he scored or not as they were going mad. Dodged a milk bottle before kick off which was thrown over houses at us.

I was about 14 and shitting it.

• Options

The thread starter makes a good point, the idea that a large (and vocal) away support translates into better results rarely happens.

As any Leeds fan in the last few years will tell you
  • Options
    1500 at St Andrews in p/o final '87, all relative in terms of home to away %
  • Options

Simonsen said:

They went fckin mental when they equalised and they were still cheering when we got the penalty.
    Animals they were, didn't care if he scored or not as they were going mad. Dodged a milk bottle before kick off which was thrown over houses at us.

I remember the final whistle going and loads of boro in the stand to our left giving us the cut throat gesture.
    Was that the same match that their stadium announcer give it "at least we've got our own ground" ?
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Nottingham Forest away in the 2000 title winning season. Didn`t we have 7,000 there that day?

we drew
  • Options

Simonsen said:

I remember the final whistle going and loads of boro in the stand to our left giving us the cut throat gesture.
    Was that the same match that their stadium announcer give it "at least we've got our own ground" ?
    I was in the small section of the seats we were given with a 4ft fence separating us from them.

Cant remember any announcement, was probably working my way back to the coach pretty sharpish :)

Different world football in them days

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Simonsen said:

I was in the small section of the seats we were given with a 4ft fence separating us from them.

Cant remember any announcement, was probably working my way back to the coach pretty sharpish :)

Different world football in them days

Page 2 on this thread-> http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/50301/most-scared-at-a-charlton-game/
  • Options
    As Organiser says Ipswich away in play off was nothing special because it was bog standard numbers for a play off and the noise was nothing out of the ordinary
    We saved all that for the only time The Valley felt like a genuine cauldron of atmosphere , the second leg and Newts rocket.

• Options
    Sorry I can't add anything positive to this(shock horror) but I think kitson and port vale are good to be there

Wasn't at Coventry so can't comment on the noise , were the numbers 3k ish (iirc) which for a team who were flying top of the league and a reasonable shout as a shock I wouldn't say was any great shakes
  • Options
    3900 at Cov in the cup

Problem with this thread is that our definition of good numbers is 800+ :)

In all seriousness I think our big game away support is improving

Fulham away 06/07 on the box we sold roughly 1800 for a much more important game when we were still pulling in 22k home fans

Fulham away on Friday on the box 3000 sold out of a core support of 14k
  • Options

3900 at Cov in the cup

Problem with this thread is that our definition of good numbers is 800+ :)

In all seriousness I think our big game away support is improving

Fulham away 06/07 on the box we sold roughly 1800 for a much more important game when we were still pulling in 22k home fans

Fulham away on Friday on the box 3000 sold out of a core support of 14k

One was a Monday night and the other was a Friday night, with the prospect of people starting their weekend on Friday lunchtime. The lure of a Friday session attracted more than a few extras methinks.
  • Options
    How many games have we had "beamed back" to the valley? I'm sure results wise it's another disappointing outcome. I've always been at the matches so have never done this but to have it beamed back must have meant we took decent numbers. Can vaguely remember Blackburn and Leeds matches. Was the everton relegation match one or was the whole world and his dog at the Albany for that?
  • Options

Blackburn away in the Cup? (Pitcher's winner)

Not really that many of us there that night, were there?

I can't remember how many we had there but I seem to remember we were in good voice?!? Maybe I'm just easily pleased.
    No you are right AUN, we did make plenty of noise for a relatively small number of people.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

More than one milk bottle came over the houses that afternoon. Made the (dodgy) late penalty all the sweeter...
  • Options

How many games have we had "beamed back" to the valley? I'm sure results wise it's another disappointing outcome. I've always been at the matches so have never done this but to have it beamed back must have meant we took decent numbers. Can vaguely remember Blackburn and Leeds matches. Was the everton relegation match one or was the whole world and his dog at the Albany for that?

Bolton 2000 in the cup from memory - another huge disappointment.
  • Options
    Beambacks i remember:

Bristol Rovers - 92? beamed back to Erith Sports Centre (I was at game)
    Bolton Cup - (i was at game)
    Man U - one midweek one, think Mark Fish scored for us (i was at the beamback )