Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ticket office to shut EVERY Wednesday & Thursday (latest update page 9)

Comments

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

PL54 said:

MrOneLung said:

PL54 said:

Is this what is known in the cirlces as a "I know more than you about marketing you fool" fight ?

was that the ' I just can't help myself from having a dig at Airman' post?
    Was that the 'suck up to Airman' post?
    Why can't you stop posting one liners, when there is an interesting debate going on.

You are quite right in fairness.

Shall we increase attendances by:

A social media
    B email
    C telephone
    D traditional press
    E flyers
    F word of mouth

And nobody here works for the club and can't make a decision on it anyway but likes to moan that the club aren't doing it.
  • Options

back to thread please, its an interesting read / debate. Any more side-digging posters will be removed, ta

agreed
  • Options

back to thread please, its an interesting read / debate. Any more side-digging posters will be removed, ta

agreed
  • Options

back to thread please, its an interesting read / debate. Any more side-digging posts will be removed, ta

Thanks

• Options

agreed
  • Options
    are there any plans for a football for a fiver game this season?, surprised we haven't latched on to the excellent home form with one of these, Blackpool at home on the 13th Dec....they won't bring many, I know it's near xmas, but could convince a few 'half year ST' maybe's?
  • Options

are there any plans for a football for a fiver game this season?, surprised we haven't latched on to the excellent home form with one of these, Blackpool at home on the 13th Dec....they won't bring many, I know it's near xmas, but could convince a few 'half year ST' maybe's?

Yes, but not before Christmas.
  • Options
    Pity I would have thought that would have been a good time to promote the half season ticket
    Also gives the casual supporter an ideal opportunity to avoid Christmas shopping and being dragged around the shopping centre
    As a sweetener you could let accompanied kids in free
    Christmas comes early at charlton perhaps?
  • Options

A colleague of mine is a Charlton ST holder, she came off the phone to her nephew at lunchtime today who said she promised to take him to an away game and as it's his birthday coming up, could she take him to Reading. She looked up the prices and saw that it's only £8 and with her rail card it's only £13 on the train, she rang Charlton to buy tickets - but it was shut for sales.

Did make me smile about this thread (even though it's gone off on a massive tangent). She's going to call again tomorrow anyway and it's no biggie but just thought I'd add it to the thread.

Trouble maker!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Kap10 said:

A colleague of mine is a Charlton ST holder, she came off the phone to her nephew at lunchtime today who said she promised to take him to an away game and as it's his birthday coming up, could she take him to Reading. She looked up the prices and saw that it's only £8 and with her rail card it's only £13 on the train, she rang Charlton to buy tickets - but it was shut for sales.

Did make me smile about this thread (even though it's gone off on a massive tangent). She's going to call again tomorrow anyway and it's no biggie but just thought I'd add it to the thread.

Trouble maker!!
    Hardly.
    Person phoned up for a ticket on Thurs, no reply, so decided to phone again Friday.
    Not really the, 'beyond parody' apocalypse from the original post was it?
  • Options
    So what we're saying is that the club has got to do better in reaching out to its Key Markets (sorry, I thought this was the jokes/shop puns thread).
  • Options

agreed
    Get those millwall fans off my computer!
  • Options

razil said:

So maybe one way of targeting our fan base or potential ones for free, is to get our fans to deliver leaflets to their neighbours, call it something witty and memorable like knock up your neighbours, and hay presto 15,000 leaflets delivered..

as for misunderstandings there is only one thing more likely to drive you mad than being on Charlton life, and that is 'not being on it'.

Sounds good but actually it would be incredibly inefficient because you'd have to get the leaflets to people in the first place and then for all sorts of reasons I'd guess most wouldn't do it. For example only about two thirds of the support is "local", a chunk is under 16, many live with another fan, not everyone would buy in to the concept, others would know it was not relevant to their neighbours.

You could certainly get some leaflets delivered by fans, but given you could get them delivered professionally and to a plan for about £15 per 000 or less, that's a lot of work to secure £225 worth of "free" labour.

Let's say, for argument's sake, the club wants to promote its £15 tickets. It could potentially deliver 100,000 leafiets in Bexley and Greenwich for £1,500. Assume the print cost is another £1,500 and the concept/artwork accounted for by existing salary costs. One £15 ticket yields £12.50 net of VAT, so even ignoring the potential to lead to longer term support and ancillary income it would have to sell 240 extra tickets because of the leaflet to break even. I think that's a reasonable punt, personally - it's a response rate of 0.24% - but the content is key.

In general, I don't think a leaflet is how you best utilise people's passion to spread the word. It's much more efficient to harness the energies of the motivated minority, but to do that you need a narrative and a structure. Pretty much what we did in the 90s, especially if you don't want to spend any money.
    This time last year Razil, myself and the trust board organised the distribution of 15,000 leaflets...it was a piece of piss!
    1) the trust surveys identified about 100 volunteers who wanted to help
    2) we had to engage the club with a view to building a bigger programme
    3) around fifteen of the volunteers actually helped
    4) we had to debate the ethics and PR of helping a club owned by the previous board

This led directly to the chief commercial officer commissioning the supporters Trust to run a survey on matchday experience.

The point about leaflets is not all about effectiveness. It's about building volunteers numbers, building a relationship with the club and visibility...
    Plenty more ideas might have come out of that initiative but events took a different turn last March.
    Right now we should be looking at a much bigger operation to promote the club but events happened which killed the initiative stone dead.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    With it being closed for training one day, and closed for important works another it sounds like the system, or something in there, is being upgraded...which can only be a good thing
  • Options
    edited November 2014

razil said:

So maybe one way of targeting our fan base or potential ones for free, is to get our fans to deliver leaflets to their neighbours, call it something witty and memorable like knock up your neighbours, and hay presto 15,000 leaflets delivered..

as for misunderstandings there is only one thing more likely to drive you mad than being on Charlton life, and that is 'not being on it'.

Sounds good but actually it would be incredibly inefficient because you'd have to get the leaflets to people in the first place and then for all sorts of reasons I'd guess most wouldn't do it. For example only about two thirds of the support is "local", a chunk is under 16, many live with another fan, not everyone would buy in to the concept, others would know it was not relevant to their neighbours.

You could certainly get some leaflets delivered by fans, but given you could get them delivered professionally and to a plan for about £15 per 000 or less, that's a lot of work to secure £225 worth of "free" labour.

Let's say, for argument's sake, the club wants to promote its £15 tickets. It could potentially deliver 100,000 leafiets in Bexley and Greenwich for £1,500. Assume the print cost is another £1,500 and the concept/artwork accounted for by existing salary costs. One £15 ticket yields £12.50 net of VAT, so even ignoring the potential to lead to longer term support and ancillary income it would have to sell 240 extra tickets because of the leaflet to break even. I think that's a reasonable punt, personally - it's a response rate of 0.24% - but the content is key.

In general, I don't think a leaflet is how you best utilise people's passion to spread the word. It's much more efficient to harness the energies of the motivated minority, but to do that you need a narrative and a structure. Pretty much what we did in the 90s, especially if you don't want to spend any money.
    This time last year Razil, myself and the trust board organised the distribution of 15,000 leaflets...it was a piece of piss!
    1) the trust surveys identified about 100 volunteers who wanted to help
    2) we had to engage the club with a view to building a bigger programme
    3) around fifteen of the volunteers actually helped
    4) we had to debate the ethics and PR of helping a club owned by the previous board

This led directly to the chief commercial officer commissioning the supporters Trust to run a survey on matchday experience.

The point about leaflets is not all about effectiveness. It's about building volunteers numbers, building a relationship with the club and visibility...
    Plenty more ideas might have come out of that initiative but events took a different turn last March.
    Right now we should be looking at a much bigger operation to promote the club but events happened which killed the initiative stone dead.
    In 1990 the Valley Party delivered three separate leaflets across the whole of Greenwich borough, which was about 80,000 addresses, in the space of a month. In practice I think the distribution was more patchy than we like to acknowledge, but it was certainly on a greater scale than anything ever attempted by the club with volunteers. So I get the point about engaging people, but there is also a point about motivation. In 1990 we couldn't do it any other way and the cause was very focused. We were still short of people to do it!

I am not diminishing the trust's efforts to get leaflets handed out at railway stations for Football for a Fiver, but on your own account only 15 people out of 100 you identified actually did it. I don't think that is a lot different from the number of supporters who did the same thing at earlier Football for a Fiver promotions, despite the hype you attached to it, but it is a whole other game delivering to tens of thousands of houses as anyone who has ever been involved in a political campaign could tell you.
  • Options
    I would have thought that they might open the day before season ticket deadline, but apparently not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

I would have thought that they might open the day before season ticket deadline, but apparently not.

Staff were there until 5pm for ST applications I believe.

• Options
    Perhaps they were dealing with postals, but they didn't answer the phone and the answer machine said closed.
  • Options
    would be interesting to see who still used the ticket office in person mon-fri, I only ever use on matchdays or when ticket demand is high and want to make sure I get a ticket.
  • Options
    I need to use it for the Sheff weds game as apparently I both exist and do not exist in the strange online world of Charlton Athletic....blimey they don't give you much chance of getting there outside of work hours do they!
  • Options
    If people are working picking up the phones then what difference will it make if they need to speak to people who walk up?
  • Options
    Keep getting that spending down RD - few more little bits and bobs and we can be the lowest spenders in the ChampLeague One
  • Options

Keep getting that spending down RD - few more little bits and bobs and we can be the lowest spenders in the ChampLeague One

Be fair, if moves like this enable us to sign the next Naby Sarr or Bergdich on multi year deals no one will be complaining.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Shut now on Wednesday's as well now. Give it a couple of months and the office will be closed on a permanent basis for face to face basis sales/enquirers.. What other football club does this? Farcical!

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-ticket-office-2753572.aspx