Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One for SG3toSE7 - Sainsbury's Christmas Ad

Comments

• Options

I know we have some marketing peeps on here, so grateful if someone can explain to me the strategy in this.

The goal (i presume) is to increase sales. Getting your name out there, being talked about i could understand for a less popular, new brand looking for a publicity / recognition hit, but everyone knows Sainsbury's.

If i am influenced by an advert, it is because i see something i want to buy that is unique, appealing, or at good value.

Having an advert about soldiers playing football, or a penguin wanting a legover are entertaining, but they are not going to influence me in any way to do my shopping from Sainsbury's or John Lewis.

So what's the plan ?

lets not forget that tescos, sainsbury's main competitor doesn't exactly have the moral high ground right now. An emotionally provacative advert makes you think "aw, aren't sainsburys run by decent people/a decent comapny?".
  • Options

But they have you talking about their ad so it has worked.

But does that ever / always transfer through into increased sales ?

Not easy to say but it's part of an overall strategy for the Christmas period and they will also run price/offers ads alongside it. I think I read that John Lewis had a sales increase immediately after the penguin ad ran.
  • Options

They bought the whole ad break in Corrie last night for it (ahem, apparently).

Would love to know how much that cost!

Dont know why they bothered- they had hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of free advertising yesterday on all the news outlets.
  • Options
    cheers Nug

They've not tempted me away from Aldi though :-)
  • Options

cheers Nug

They've not tempted me away from Aldi though :-)

I can't wait for the Costcutter christmas mini movie to come out
  • Options
    Still, got the Iceland 'I am a celebrity...' adverts to look forward to.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    At the conclusion of the advertisement is a notice that the 'movie' was made in conjunction with the British Legion. If the Legion is making some cash out of this then all well and good, otherwise I have trouble swallowing what is a cynical piece of band wagon jumping by the Sainsbury's advertising agents. World War 1, like all wars, was a dirty, bloody and murderous business and was not necessarily fought between::::::

Young men, with nice teeth and unblemished skin, all dressed in nice clean uniforms, swapping pressies and anecdotes and having a nice friendly game of footie before the guns called them all back to their respective well kept and antiseptic looking trenches, all kitchen clean and as tidy as a supermarket shelf.

As well as harking back to the famous 'football game in no-mans land', the advert reminded me of the scene in 'War Horse' whereby a German and an English squaddie together freed the horse from a barbed wire mantrap. So to me, the ad is not only cynical but derivative. I can just forgive authors and film makers making money from exploiting either realistic accounts, even false images of war, the public can decide whether or not to hand over their cash to see or read or hear the 'product' on offer. This ad is simply a puff put out by a wealthy and well established supermarket chain hoping to exploit the current nationalism, grief and nostalgia which is surrounding the 100th year anniversary of a war which cost millions of lives and caused untold suffering. Spend your money with us it says, we are the supermarket that cares (or not as the case may be)
  • Options
    Only on Charlton Life.......
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Sainsbury's News @SainsburysPR · 3h 3 hours ago

The chocolate bar from our #ChristmasIsForSharing ad is in store for £1. All profits go to @PoppyLegion

• Sponsored links:

• Options

...If i am influenced by an advert, it is because i see something i want to buy that is unique, appealing, or at good value. ...

That's what happens when you are consciously influenced by an advert. Much modern marketing is so subtle, you would never realise that you'd been influenced.
  • Options

At the conclusion of the advertisement is a notice that the 'movie' was made in conjunction with the British Legion. If the Legion is making some cash out of this then all well and good, otherwise I have trouble swallowing what is a cynical piece of band wagon jumping by the Sainsbury's advertising agents. World War 1, like all wars, was a dirty, bloody and murderous business and was not necessarily fought between::::::

Young men, with nice teeth and unblemished skin, all dressed in nice clean uniforms, swapping pressies and anecdotes and having a nice friendly game of footie before the guns called them all back to their respective well kept and antiseptic looking trenches, all kitchen clean and as tidy as a supermarket shelf.

As well as harking back to the famous 'football game in no-mans land', the advert reminded me of the scene in 'War Horse' whereby a German and an English squaddie together freed the horse from a barbed wire mantrap. So to me, the ad is not only cynical but derivative. I can just forgive authors and film makers making money from exploiting either realistic accounts, even false images of war, the public can decide whether or not to hand over their cash to see or read or hear the 'product' on offer. This ad is simply a puff put out by a wealthy and well established supermarket chain hoping to exploit the current nationalism, grief and nostalgia which is surrounding the 100th year anniversary of a war which cost millions of lives and caused untold suffering. Spend your money with us it says, we are the supermarket that cares (or not as the case may be)

They are working in conjunction with the royal British legion, and all money made from the chocolate bar in the ad goes to the legion.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

What, you mean a measured, articulate alternative to the majority view?

They are working in conjunction with the royal British legion, and all money made from the chocolate bar in the ad goes to the legion.
    No people going off on one before they check the facts.
  • Options

That is the single cleverest thing about the advert, because in doing that they can automatically head any criticism off at the pass.
  • Options

Redskin said:

going 'off on one' ..a bit like your erudite and well thought out post regarding 'pricks' and 'cows' and 'unblocking drains and slippery floors' .. the profit, not the full price note , on the chocolate bar is just a sop compared to what Sainsbury hopes to make from this cynical ad .. VG .... you've fallen for the Sainsbury bullshit hook line and sinker
  • Options
    Stig said:

...If i am influenced by an advert, it is because i see something i want to buy that is unique, appealing, or at good value. ...

Much modern marketing is so subtle, you would never realise that you'd been influenced.

A cynic might say that that sounds like something someone in marketing would say when a client asks whether the money spent on marketing was worth it.
  • Options
    It is also ingenious as people will go into the shop to buy a bar of chocolate (either as a Christmas gift or as a novelty) and while there might as well get the food shop. I mean if you've gone into a supermarket why would you buy one item then leave as it means you have to go into another supermarket later in the week.

For anyone that asked how do Sainsbury's make any money out of the whole Corrie advert, here is your answer.

John Lewis are, presumably, the only store selling the penguin that, virtually, every child in the land will have on it's Christmas list. Again, while you're in John Lewis you might as well pick up a few other things for Christmas, I mean, they sell everything and are never knowingly undersold right?
  • Options

Redskin said:

going 'off on one' ..a bit like your erudite and well thought out post regarding 'pricks' and 'cows' and 'unblocking drains and slippery floors' .. the profit, not the full price note , on the chocolate bar is just a sop compared to what Sainsbury hopes to make from this cynical ad .. VG .... you've fallen for the Sainsbury bullshit hook line and sinker
    sorry cant hear you over all these carrier bags!!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Redskin said:

As someone earlier posted, this advert -which is all it is - had already attracted negative comments. As Stig points out,this is a clever/insidious gesture that only serves to temper criticism of Sainsbury's, rather than simply being a charitable gesture.

The ad should have ended with a shot of the German boy with his face blown off, clutching a bloodied and muddied bar of crushed chocolate in his death - hand .That's what war was about, not a lot of sentimental and irreverent guff.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Redskin said:

sorry cant hear you over all these carrier bags!!
    carrier bags full with Sainsbury's goodies no doubt .. watch out for the credit card crunch as well as all those mad cows on slippery floors now .. ((:>)
  • Options
    Macronate said:

not usually swayed by ads but must admit I was so taken by the John Lewis Christmas one that I am now the proud owner of two live, mating penguins.

Blimey have you not seen Mr Poppers Penguins?

• Options

Every agency will buy at slightly different rates, and ITV would have charged a hefty premium for that, but I would suggest it would have been around £500k for the cost of the airtime. I guess they will run a 40-60 sec cutdown up to Christmas now. Probably budget c£5m for the rest of the airtime and then some. That's just for standard broadcast. It will be all over the internet. Sharing that Youtube video has essentially given them FOC additional campaign reach.

For Sainsbury's, their Christmas ad will be all about retaining market share. People are probably pretty set in their ways as to where they shop, but the biggest threat to the main chains is obviously coming from your Aldi's and LIDL'S. They are just looking to be front of mind.

I think it is a great advert. There is a shift from brands chucking out advertising messages to delivering rich content to people that they can engage with (as we have done here). This is branded content at its best.

Damo you must be an account man!
  • Options
    Nug said:

Every agency will buy at slightly different rates, and ITV would have charged a hefty premium for that, but I would suggest it would have been around £500k for the cost of the airtime. I guess they will run a 40-60 sec cutdown up to Christmas now. Probably budget c£5m for the rest of the airtime and then some. That's just for standard broadcast. It will be all over the internet. Sharing that Youtube video has essentially given them FOC additional campaign reach.

For Sainsbury's, their Christmas ad will be all about retaining market share. People are probably pretty set in their ways as to where they shop, but the biggest threat to the main chains is obviously coming from your Aldi's and LIDL'S. They are just looking to be front of mind.

I think it is a great advert. There is a shift from brands chucking out advertising messages to delivering rich content to people that they can engage with (as we have done here). This is branded content at its best.

Damo you must be an account man!
    I run the sponsorship and partnership division of a WPP agency, but cut my teeth in TV planning and buying when I left uni in 2003.

So I am not pumping out the hardcore advertising the winds some up on here anymore. I am more talent partnerships, music / sports sponsorship, and ad funded programming.

I think outside of bankers, advertising folk get the most stick on this board ;)
  • Options
    WPP too, not in Canary Wharf are you?
  • Options

The legion is making money out of it, so anything after "all well and good" is irrelevant really then, Lincs? They have approved and put their name to it, so they clearly don't feel the same way you do (or don't - I admit to being a little confused).

People who still feel it's "exploitative" e.t.c remain free to avoid shopping at Sainsbury's - the same as they might avoid the 'products' on offer from authors and film makers of which they disapprove.

• Options
    Nug said:

WPP too, not in Canary Wharf are you?

No - guess you are referring to Ogilvy.

Rumours going round that we may be sharing office space closer to the centre of town in the next 12 months or so.