Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

One for SG3toSE7 - Sainsbury's Christmas Ad

Comments

• edited November 2014

But they have you talking about their ad so it has worked.

No he isn't Henners, Grandpa's talking about "an ad". The one for "thingy", he doesn't know what thingy is, so the ad hasn't worked at all.

I get his point, I have no idea which perfume Keira Knightly advertises, or which car is arriving on earth via giant ramp, I just know its a perfume and a car. I know that Barry Scott flogs Cilit Bang though, crap as the advert is...

The problem is that ad agencies make adverts to impress other ad agencies, and present them to clueless, overpaid, overpromoted company executives who go along with the whole overblown farce in order not to appear clueless...
  • At the conclusion of the advertisement is a notice that the 'movie' was made in conjunction with the British Legion. If the Legion is making some cash out of this then all well and good, otherwise I have trouble swallowing what is a cynical piece of band wagon jumping by the Sainsbury's advertising agents. World War 1, like all wars, was a dirty, bloody and murderous business and was not necessarily fought between::::::

Young men, with nice teeth and unblemished skin, all dressed in nice clean uniforms, swapping pressies and anecdotes and having a nice friendly game of footie before the guns called them all back to their respective well kept and antiseptic looking trenches, all kitchen clean and as tidy as a supermarket shelf.

As well as harking back to the famous 'football game in no-mans land', the advert reminded me of the scene in 'War Horse' whereby a German and an English squaddie together freed the horse from a barbed wire mantrap. So to me, the ad is not only cynical but derivative. I can just forgive authors and film makers making money from exploiting either realistic accounts, even false images of war, the public can decide whether or not to hand over their cash to see or read or hear the 'product' on offer. This ad is simply a puff put out by a wealthy and well established supermarket chain hoping to exploit the current nationalism, grief and nostalgia which is surrounding the 100th year anniversary of a war which cost millions of lives and caused untold suffering. Spend your money with us it says, we are the supermarket that cares (or not as the case may be)

The legion is making money out of it, so anything after "all well and good" is irrelevant really then, Lincs? They have approved and put their name to it, so they clearly don't feel the same way you do (or don't - I admit to being a little confused).

People who still feel it's "exploitative" e.t.c remain free to avoid shopping at Sainsbury's - the same as they might avoid the 'products' on offer from authors and film makers of which they disapprove.

on reflection it's not 'all well and good' .. the profit on a bar of chocolate is minimal, just a few pence .. Sainsbury hope to make millions of pounds from this ad .. I would 'add' that the BL endorsement, if that is what it is, is just another cynical component of the whole exercise, giving the whole thing a veneer of respectability, a stamp of authority and approval from an organisation that most everybody loves and approves of .. I am rather disappointed that the BL has fallen for this ... I guess the BL managers were just pleased to get their hands on even the few coins dropped behind the Sainsbury tills rather than ask for somewhat more than the sop which seems to have been agreed to
  • Regardless of whether this is 'exploitative' or not, I couldn't get more than a minute and a half into it. Pandering, aesthetically bankrupt bandwagon-hopping nonsense of the most nauseating sort, for mine.

Disclaimer: I do not wish to denigrate those who fell in that terrible conflict. I merely wish to express my loathing for this sort of marketing.
  • I think it was Victor Kiam (?spelling) who said that 50% of the money he spent on advertising and marketing was wasted.

The problem was he didn't know which 50%.
  • But they have you talking about their ad so it has worked.

No he isn't Henners, Grandpa's talking about "an ad". The one for "thingy", he doesn't know what thingy is, so the ad hasn't worked at all.

I get his point, I have no idea which perfume Keira Knightly advertises, or which car is arriving on earth via giant ramp, I just know its a perfume and a car. I know that Barry Scott flogs Cilit Bang though, crap as the advert is...

The problem is that ad agencies make adverts to impress other ad agencies, and present them to clueless, overpaid, overpromoted company executives who go along with the whole overblown farce in order not to appear clueless...
    In some cases, yes you are right.

In this case and with John Lewis not.

As I doubt you buy much perfume for yourself, or even for the mrs : - ), you're not really the target audience for the lovely Keira. I would hazard a guess that real men who do buy perfume and "birds" would know and that means those ads work for their audience.

This ad works as lots of people are aware, if only vaguely, of the story and it's also current with the coverage of WW1. So it engages lots of people, it has a heart warming story and it's also raising money for a good cause. It ticks most boxes for most people which I guess is all any advert can do.

It's better, IMHO, than "you buy one, you get one free" and as someone else said Sainsbury's will also have their "Turkey's only £5" or whatever ads as well. This isn't all they are going to do.

This ad worked so well that when I was shopping today I was about to ask where I could get one of the Chocolate bars. Then I remembered I was in Tesco.

In more relevant new the Sainsbury Local in Charlton Lane, at the top of Floyd Rd is finally opening.
  • LenGlover said:

I think it was Victor Kiam (?spelling) who said that 50% of the money he spent on advertising and marketing was wasted.

and he liked it so much ... he bought the company !!
  • Macronate said:

not usually swayed by ads but must admit I was so taken by the John Lewis Christmas one that I am now the proud owner of two live, mating penguins.

All you need now is a speedboat off Bullseye and your life in Eltham will be complete !

• Macronate said:

not usually swayed by ads but must admit I was so taken by the John Lewis Christmas one that I am now the proud owner of two live, mating penguins.

All you need now is a speedboat off Bullseye and your life in Eltham will be complete !

Ha - not as good as when two friends won a fully fitted kitchen.
  • Stig said:

...If i am influenced by an advert, it is because i see something i want to buy that is unique, appealing, or at good value. ...

Much modern marketing is so subtle, you would never realise that you'd been influenced.

A cynic might say that that sounds like something someone in marketing would say when a client asks whether the money spent on marketing was worth it.
    My bill is in the post.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

I couldnt afford to buy my sons the John Lewis penguin toys, so I have shot two and had them stuffed.

(Penguins, not my sons).

the RSPCA are on your trail right now !!
  • LenGlover said:

I think it was Victor Kiam (?spelling) who said that 50% of the money he spent on advertising and marketing was wasted.

I'm not sure it mattered to Kiam as the godfather of vanity-advertising.
  • But they have you talking about their ad so it has worked.

In some cases, yes you are right.

In this case and with John Lewis not.

As I doubt you buy much perfume for yourself, or even for the mrs : - ), you're not really the target audience for the lovely Keira. I would hazard a guess that real men who do buy perfume and "birds" would know and that means those ads work for their audience.

This ad works as lots of people are aware, if only vaguely, of the story and it's also current with the coverage of WW1. So it engages lots of people, it has a heart warming story and it's also raising money for a good cause. It ticks most boxes for most people which I guess is all any advert can do.

It's better, IMHO, than "you buy one, you get one free" and as someone else said Sainsbury's will also have their "Turkey's only £5" or whatever ads as well. This isn't all they are going to do.

This ad worked so well that when I was shopping today I was about to ask where I could get one of the Chocolate bars. Then I remembered I was in Tesco.

In more relevant new the Sainsbury Local in Charlton Lane, at the top of Floyd Rd is finally opening.
    I agree entirely about the Xmas ads, I wasn't talking about them, I was talking about the ones Grandpa was, the ones where you go "what on earth was that for" and even when they tell you, you have forgotten in two minutes.
  • edited November 2014

At the conclusion of the advertisement is a notice that the 'movie' was made in conjunction with the British Legion. If the Legion is making some cash out of this then all well and good, otherwise I have trouble swallowing what is a cynical piece of band wagon jumping by the Sainsbury's advertising agents. World War 1, like all wars, was a dirty, bloody and murderous business and was not necessarily fought between::::::

Young men, with nice teeth and unblemished skin, all dressed in nice clean uniforms, swapping pressies and anecdotes and having a nice friendly game of footie before the guns called them all back to their respective well kept and antiseptic looking trenches, all kitchen clean and as tidy as a supermarket shelf.

As well as harking back to the famous 'football game in no-mans land', the advert reminded me of the scene in 'War Horse' whereby a German and an English squaddie together freed the horse from a barbed wire mantrap. So to me, the ad is not only cynical but derivative. I can just forgive authors and film makers making money from exploiting either realistic accounts, even false images of war, the public can decide whether or not to hand over their cash to see or read or hear the 'product' on offer. This ad is simply a puff put out by a wealthy and well established supermarket chain hoping to exploit the current nationalism, grief and nostalgia which is surrounding the 100th year anniversary of a war which cost millions of lives and caused untold suffering. Spend your money with us it says, we are the supermarket that cares (or not as the case may be)

The legion is making money out of it, so anything after "all well and good" is irrelevant really then, Lincs? They have approved and put their name to it, so they clearly don't feel the same way you do (or don't - I admit to being a little confused).

People who still feel it's "exploitative" e.t.c remain free to avoid shopping at Sainsbury's - the same as they might avoid the 'products' on offer from authors and film makers of which they disapprove.

on reflection it's not 'all well and good' .. the profit on a bar of chocolate is minimal, just a few pence .. Sainsbury hope to make millions of pounds from this ad .. I would 'add' that the BL endorsement, if that is what it is, is just another cynical component of the whole exercise, giving the whole thing a veneer of respectability, a stamp of authority and approval from an organisation that most everybody loves and approves of .. I am rather disappointed that the BL has fallen for this ... I guess the BL managers were just pleased to get their hands on even the few coins dropped behind the Sainsbury tills rather than ask for somewhat more than the sop which seems to have been agreed to
    As I said, folk are free to vote with their feet. I am fairly certain neither you, nor I
    have any idea what the agreement with the BL is, beyond the profit on the chocolate which I take your word on is minimal. You seem so irate about it, I assume you will be contacting the BL direct to voice your displeasure? I would genuinely be interested to hear their response, should you do so, Lincs.
  • edited November 2014

At the conclusion of the advertisement is a notice that the 'movie' was made in conjunction with the British Legion. If the Legion is making some cash out of this then all well and good, otherwise I have trouble swallowing what is a cynical piece of band wagon jumping by the Sainsbury's advertising agents. World War 1, like all wars, was a dirty, bloody and murderous business and was not necessarily fought between::::::

As I said, folk are free to vote with their feet. I am fairly certain neither you, nor I
    have any idea what the agreement with the BL is, beyond the profit on the chocolate which I take your word on is minimal. You seem so irate about it, I assume you will be contacting the BL direct to voice your displeasure? I would genuinely be interested to hear their response, should you do so, Lincs.
    Trouble is AA as so often, you are jumping to conclusions as to what I 'will or should do', sarcasm is so unbecoming of you .. if a chocolate bar costs £1, anyone, even you, can surely see that the profit on each bar or even 10,20 or 50 bars in a basket of groceries is going to be minimal compared to Sainsbury's overall hoped for profit gained from the TV advertisement .. and me, Irate ? .. my dear chap, as ever, I am as cool as a chilled cucumber .. you have a nice day now
  • Sainsbury's have been supporting BL for 20 years, nothing new.
  • Just a bit of advertising sentimentality here. In reality, the following day they were back to blowing each other to bits. There was nothing sugar coated about that war.
  • Sainsbury's and the Legion partner to bring WW1 Christmas truce story to life
    13 November 2014
    Sainsbury's logoSainsbury's has unveiled a poignant new advertising campaign featuring an account of the 1914 First World War Christmas truce to screens in millions of homes. Called Christmas is for Sharing, the full length 3' 20" TV ad aired for the first time last night in the Coronation Street ad break to help raise funds and awareness of The Royal British Legion's work supporting Service men and women. (View video below)

Directed by Ringan Ledwidge, the advert is a creative interpretation of the moment when on Christmas Day 1914, British and German soldiers paused, laid down their arms, and came together on neutral territory to share greetings, treats, cigarettes and even a game of football. Sainsbury's and The Royal British Legion have sought to make the portrayal of the truce as accurate as possible, basing it on original reports and letters, as well as working with historians throughout the development and production process.

In the ad, the story is told from the perspective of a young British soldier who dares to venture from his trench in to No Man's Land to greet his rivals and initiate a football game. He shares a moment of connection and friendship with a young German soldier and, as the truce ends and they return to their trenches, the German soldier is moved to discover that his British friend has hidden the gift of a chocolate bar in his pocket.

Marking 20 years of support

The campaign is the latest expression of Sainsbury's 20 year relationship with The Royal British Legion. Sainsbury's is one of the biggest supporters of the Legion and waits until after Armistice Day to launch its annual Christmas campaign so that stores can remain focused on raising funds for the Poppy Appeal. In 2013 alone, Sainsbury's raised around £4.5m for the charity through colleague, supplier and customer fundraising and an exclusive range of poppy products.

This Christmas Sainsbury's will be doing even more to raise funds beyond the Poppy Appeal, including:

Selling the WW1 chocolate bar featured in the ad in Sainsbury's stores for £1, with all profits donated to the Legion. The limited edition 100g Taste the Difference Belgian Milk Chocolate bar is manufactured in Ypres, Belgium, and features the same period packaging seen in the ad.
    The Legion will be one of Sainsbury's charity Christmas card partners

Charles Byrne, Director of Fundraising for The Royal British Legion, commented: "We're very proud of our 20 year partnership with Sainsbury's and this campaign is particularly important. 100 years on from the 1914 Christmas truce, the campaign remembers the fallen, while helping to raise vital funds to support the future of living. Established after the First World War, The Royal British Legion continues its work to support members of the Armed Forces, ex-Service men and women and their families, now and for the rest of their lives."

Mark Given, Head of Brand Communications, Sainsbury's, commented: "Christmas is a special time of year when people pause to reflect on what's important. More than any other time of year, people come together to share simple moments and kindnesses.

"This year, we wanted to reflect that theme of sharing in our Christmas campaign through the lens of one of the most extraordinary moments of sharing in modern history, when on Christmas Day 1914, British and German soldiers paused, laid down their arms, and came together on neutral territory to share by singing, exchanging mementoes and even a game of football.

"The Christmas truce is an emotive and cherished story in our history that is especially poignant in this WW1 centenary year. That's why we have worked together closely with The Royal British Legion to bring this moment to life with authenticity and respect.

"We know many of our customers feel as passionately about the incredible work of the Legion as we do. We hope our campaign will raise awareness and funds for the charity and inspire our customers to share a memorable Christmas with family and friends."

Christmas is for Sharing will run in addition to Sainsbury's traditional food focused Christmas advertising campaign.

Media contact:
    For more information please contact:
    Ellie Joyce or Andy Rogerson T: 020 7260 2700 E: sainsburys@bluerubicon.com

More information about Sainsbury's partnership with the Legion.

Sainsbury's
    SainsburySainsbury's is celebrating 20 years of supporting The Royal British Legion by doing more than ever to raise funds during this year's Poppy Appeal.

The retailer hopes to surpass last year's fundraising total of £4.5 million by increasing its support across merchandise, in-store donation, and for the first time ever, a TV advert with striking animations to drive donations and raise awareness of the national cause.

Customers can support the Legion in various ways through Sainsbury's from donating to a poppy collector in store, buying exclusive merchandise – including a tote bag by British designer Amanda Wakeley, rounding up their shopping bill at the till or making a £1 donation through online shopping.

To further support The Royal British Legion and the iconic poppy pin, Sainsbury's is the only place offering poppy recycling after Armistice Day. Launched last year, the scheme enables us to save vital funds by reusing or recycling the poppies donated.

Funds donated by Sainsbury's customers and colleagues from last year alone support vital services such as our Breaks Service, which provides adventure breaks for children and teenagers from Service families who can often feel isolated or to enabling a bereaved family to spend some time together.

Sarah Ellis, Head of CR&S at Sainsbury’s, said: "We are always delighted to welcome poppy collectors into our stores and this year customers and colleagues are more involved than ever. Whether you choose to wear a poppy, round up your bill or buy an Amanda Wakely tote bag you’ll know it all goes to help a great cause which is particularly pertinent during the centenary of First World War."

Charles Byrne, Head of Fundraising at the Legion, said: "Sainsbury's has been a corporate partner of the Legion for over 20 years, and this support has helped us provide vital care to the British Armed Forces past and present, and their loved ones. We're thrilled with the high level of support from Sainsbury's this year and are extremely grateful for our growing relationship."

Sainsbury's Wakeley Bags

There are a number of ways Sainsbury's customers can support the Legion's Poppy Appeal this year.

A special range of poppy products, with all profits going to The Royal British Legion. This includes two jute bags designed by British fashion designer, Amanda Wakeley, sold exclusively at Sainsbury's as well as mugs, tea towels, stationery items and key rings.
    Customers will be able to 'round up' their bill at checkout to the nearest pound and donate the difference to The Royal British Legion.
    Recycle their paper lapel poppies in store from 12-24 November 2014

-----------------------------

To me £4.5m is not minimal and if people don't want to buy the chocolate they can just donate or round up their bill.

• Great ad, but they could have shown us winning on penalties.
  • I heard Russell Brand is in their follow up advert
  • Sponsored links:

• At the conclusion of the advertisement is a notice that the 'movie' was made in conjunction with the British Legion. If the Legion is making some cash out of this then all well and good, otherwise I have trouble swallowing what is a cynical piece of band wagon jumping by the Sainsbury's advertising agents. World War 1, like all wars, was a dirty, bloody and murderous business and was not necessarily fought between::::::

Trouble is AA as so often, you are jumping to conclusions as to what I 'will or should do', sarcasm is so unbecoming of you .. if a chocolate bar costs £1, anyone, even you, can surely see that the profit on each bar or even 10,20 or 50 bars in a basket of groceries is going to be minimal compared to Sainsbury's overall hoped for profit gained from the TV advertisement .. and me, Irate ? .. my dear chap, as ever, I am as cool as a chilled cucumber .. you have a nice day now
    I try quite hard to word my responses to keep them light, I try hard not to say "you have just made that up" or "you have just responded, very weakly to the part of my post you think you can reply to, whilst ignoring the part you have no credible response to" or " half your ill thought out post contradicts the other", or "everyone can see you are ranting on and moving the goalposts halfway through a discussion, despite your attempts to claim differently". But sometimes, people leave you no option...
  • Trouble is AA as so often, you are jumping to conclusions as to what I 'will or should do', sarcasm is so unbecoming of you .. if a chocolate bar costs £1, anyone, even you, can surely see that the profit on each bar or even 10,20 or 50 bars in a basket of groceries is going to be minimal compared to Sainsbury's overall hoped for profit gained from the TV advertisement .. and me, Irate ? .. my dear chap, as ever, I am as cool as a chilled cucumber .. you have a nice day now

Or you could just be like millions of Sainsburys customers, like my family, that would be in there anyway and will stick a bar or two of chocolate in their basket because it goes to a good cause.

• I remember that game.

I was never offside, I could not BELIEVE that decision!
  • edited November 2014

I try quite hard to word my responses to keep them light, I try hard not to say "you have just made that up" or "you have just responded, very weakly to the part of my post you think you can reply to, whilst ignoring the part you have no credible response to" or " half your ill thought out post contradicts the other", or "everyone can see you are ranting on and moving the goalposts halfway through a discussion, despite your attempts to claim differently". But sometimes, people leave you no option...
    People eh .. so I am a liar, a distorter of facts and have not the wit to 'think things fully through' .. fair enough .. for what it's worth I consider you to be an over argumentative fact twisting 'light headed' half wit with the same amount of original ideas as a lump of granite .. so be it .. this thread is about one particular TV advertisement and I maintain that Sainsbury is out of order by using uncalled for and distorted sentimentality to flog their goods over the Christmas period .. this is my opinion, others have totally contradictory ideas ..

.. further, in my opinion, the poppy symbol should be a special symbol for a special occasion, i.e. remembrance day, and not stamped on tea towels, trendy shoulder bags, chocolate bars or any other commercial products .. otherwise, like the CND/'peace' symbol. it could over time lose its potency and significance .. 'what does the poppy symbol mean mummy?' .. 'oh it's just an advertising logo darling, something about a long ago war I think'

Sainsbury does allow my organisation, a cancer awareness information group, to go into the local store on occasion to set up a 'stall' to distribute leaflets and give advice to their customers. I/we are grateful for this facility.

Sainsbury is NOT an evil organisation, merely a good capitalist company on the look out to exploit all that it can to make a good income for its shareholders..

last word from me on this topic .. in endorsing and making this particular TV advertisement, in my opinion, Sainsbury are simply wrong.

People eh .. so I am a liar, a distorter of facts and have not the wit to 'think things fully through' .. fair enough .. for what it's worth I consider you to be an over argumentative fact twisting 'light headed' half wit with the same amount of original ideas as a lump of granite .. so be it .. this thread is about one particular TV advertisement and I maintain that Sainsbury is out of order by using uncalled for and distorted sentimentality to flog their goods over the Christmas period .. this is my opinion, others have totally contradictory ideas ..

.. further, in my opinion, the poppy symbol should be a special symbol for a special occasion, i.e. remembrance day, and not stamped on tea towels, trendy shoulder bags, chocolate bars or any other commercial products .. otherwise, like the CND/'peace' symbol. it could over time lose its potency and significance .. 'what does the poppy symbol mean mummy?' .. 'oh it's just an advertising logo darling, something about a long ago war I think'

Sainsbury does allow my organisation, a cancer awareness information group, to go into the local store on occasion to set up a 'stall' to distribute leaflets and give advice to their customers. I/we are grateful for this facility.

Sainsbury is NOT an evil organisation, merely a good capitalist company on the look out to exploit all that it can to make a good income for its shareholders..

last word from me on this topic .. in endorsing and making this particular TV advertisement, in my opinion, Sainsbury are simply wrong.
    QED
  • Was it Sainsbury's last year that had the kids singing Xmas carols on video for their Dad in Afghan only for him to walk into the lounge? Didn't matter how many times I saw that, it always brought a lump to my throat.

I think this years ad is great, especially to mark their 20 years of support of the BL. But I can see why some may have a cynical view of it.
  • Had to sit through this in the cinema. It's such a cynical piece - everything is reduced to the market and what can help sales. Vile.
  • The ad is more or less a rip off of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOz9SpWc_yE

Which is a scene from the 1969 filmed version of the Joan Littlewood/Theatre Workshop Ensemble first produced in Stratford east in 1963.

The Sainsbury's advertising agency have robbed a living with this one. it is especially ironic that they have stolen from what was undoubtedly a skewed, and anti war, play and film.

The film is absolutely stunning by the way, and arguably Richard Attenborough's finest work.

The legendary events of that first Christmas in the trenches is a story belonging to everybody, and if Sainsbury's had credibility they might have re visited the events afresh rather than re hash the work of somebody else.

Nadou has it spot on, the 1963 production and subsequent film sparked the debate, the 2014 advert is there to spark sales, cynical to put it mildly.
  • ? What? The Sainsbury's one centres around a football game. There's no football in that one. The only similarity is the music and the brief truce, and given that the general consensus is that there was a truce around Christmas time, I don't think Sainsbury's would have had to watch that film to have come up with the idea and set it to, arguably the most relevant and stereotypical Christmas carol.
  • Granpa said:

I have marketing on my CV, but this is just a personal opinion. I have been saying for a long time that some Ad Agencies are losing sight of the basic reason for advertising, and spending too much time trying to be funny, or having spectacular visuals. I have lost count of the number of times my wife and I say ' what the hell is this going to be an ad for ? ' Whatever happened to the good old Features and Benefits ?

Because people are fed up with product and price-led creatives. The audience expect more and advertising has had to evolve as a result. Look at brands like Ryan Air and Premier Inn and their latest positioning. Price isn't even mentioned (also work in advertising btw).