Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One for SG3toSE7 - Sainsbury's Christmas Ad

124»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

The ad is more or less a rip off of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOz9SpWc_yE

Which is a scene from the 1969 filmed version of the Joan Littlewood/Theatre Workshop Ensemble first produced in Stratford east in 1963.

The Sainsbury's advertising agency have robbed a living with this one. it is especially ironic that they have stolen from what was undoubtedly a skewed, and anti war, play and film.

The film is absolutely stunning by the way, and arguably Richard Attenborough's finest work.

The legendary events of that first Christmas in the trenches is a story belonging to everybody, and if Sainsbury's had credibility they might have re visited the events afresh rather than re hash the work of somebody else.

Nadou has it spot on, the 1963 production and subsequent film sparked the debate, the 2014 advert is there to spark sales, cynical to put it mildly.

Might as well say it rips of the Pipes of Peace video.

Addressing the same, historical, event does not equal ripping off.
  • Options
    Ok this is the full scene, no football, but the photograph idea is used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHObCL2luMw

Henry if you read my post I say:

'The legendary events of that first Christmas in the trenches is a story belonging to everybody, and if Sainsbury's had credibility they might have re visited the events afresh rather than re hash the work of somebody else.'

I am not arguing that people can't address the same historical event, it is the artistic rip off that is sour. Anybody looking at the Sainsbury's advert and the Attenborough film can see how almost identical they are artistically, the addition of the football makes it even more cynical in my view.

This is the final sequence from the original film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_LhOO6Q6p8

In my view the film was intended to be thought provoking and certainly memorable, and a bit educative, here we have big business cynically reducing this anniversary to a form that can bring in more money.

Last week at the funeral of my mother I was able to make reference to her father, my grandfather, who had fought in the Sudan, the Boer War, and was wounded on the Somme, a part of that living link had gone, but especially last week it had a depth of memory for me.
    The Sainsbury's ad seems a cynical exploitative patch up, by young rip off merchant ad land hipsters for whom the events of the Great War have little personal meaning.
  • Options
    That's art though, is it not?
  • Options

Can't quite get my silly old head round this ....

To do good - regardless of their true motivation - JS must be good capitalists. As bad capitalists they go broke and henceforth are in no position to help anybody. Their shareholders demand that they operate prudently.

Cui bono? Well, the RBL has a modest windfall and a ton of free publicity. The actors and production crew who made the film were presumably not amateurs. The ad agency, the brokers who arrange the tv space, the tv networks themselves who did rather well from selling the air-time, the chocolate bar makers .... and it's poor old JS, who generated/bankrolled these little earners, who are the ones to get a good bollocking.

It's a charming film which soon enough will lose its novelty value. For Gawd's sake, where's the harm? What next - those bastards at the NHS who make a living out of illness and misery? The Old Bill, who live off crime?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Sainsbury's and the Legion partner to bring WW1 Christmas truce story to life
    13 November 2014

Directed by Ringan Ledwidge, the advert is a creative interpretation of the moment when on Christmas Day 1914, British and German soldiers paused, laid down their arms, and came together on neutral territory to share greetings, treats, cigarettes and even a game of football. Sainsbury's and The Royal British Legion have sought to make the portrayal of the truce as accurate as possible, basing it on original reports and letters, as well as working with historians throughout the development and production process.

From Henry's long post earlier this is the Sainsbury's blurb.

'creative interpretation'?

'.....as accurate as possible, basing it on original reports and letters, as well as working with historians throughout the development and production process'.

Do me a favour.

George Harrison and the Chiffons comes to mind.

In my view it is a simple rip off tarted up by the quote above. Plagarism is a healthy force within all the arts, everybody stands on somebody's shoulders. But this advertisement isn't an artistic development with respect for the aesthetic, and mental and emotional engagement, it is a lazy rip off of the work of somebody else's 'creative interpretation' based on 'original' sources.

• Options
    seth plum said:

13 November 2014

Directed by Ringan Ledwidge, the advert is a creative interpretation of the moment when on Christmas Day 1914, British and German soldiers paused, laid down their arms, and came together on neutral territory to share greetings, treats, cigarettes and even a game of football. Sainsbury's and The Royal British Legion have sought to make the portrayal of the truce as accurate as possible, basing it on original reports and letters, as well as working with historians throughout the development and production process.

'.....as accurate as possible, basing it on original reports and letters, as well as working with historians throughout the development and production process'.

Do me a favour.

In my view it is a simple rip off tarted up by the quote above. Plagarism is a healthy force within all the arts, everybody stands on somebody's shoulders. But this advertisement isn't an artistic development with respect for the aesthetic, and mental and emotional engagement, it is a lazy rip off of the work of somebody else's 'creative interpretation' based on 'original' sources.

The chocolate's nice though.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    seth plum said:

13 November 2014

Do me a favour.

Henry thinks The Magnificent Seven was better than Seven Samurai.I'll leave you to draw your own conclusion from that...
  • Options
    It's not the exploitation that bothers me most on this. That is just part of life and big business/advertisers, whatever, exploit different things for a profit all the time. What I feel most uncomfortable about is that this is just not a true reflection of what the 1st World War was like. The conditions, the inept Officer orders, the millions killed because of that. I don't think anyone who was there that day, or was a mother or a wife of someone who was there that day, would appreciate this Ad but of course they are no longer here to argue their case.

I appreciate that the British Legion are getting a kick back from this but that doesn't excuse the fact that, in my opinion, they have made an error of judgement in sanctioning this. In my eyes this belies what an awful, barbaric war the First World War really was. Every year we have the poppies which is a great continuing tradition to remember those that fell and what they endured. Over the years, also, it has become more and more obvious what a truly awful war WW1 was. In my opinion, this Ad has taken a step backwards by painting an unreal picture of what conditions really were like over there.

I'm sure the BL would come out with all sorts of blah, blah about this but I think, if the survivors were still around, they wouldn't appreciate what the BL have sanctioned. Just my opinion.

Try reading "It's All Quiet on the Western Front".

And, I'm not a prude or a goodie goodie but I just felt distinctly uncomfortable when I watched this Ad.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The reservations about sanitising TGW are understandable. But this viewpoint stems from prior knowledge. Many young 'uns today are unlikely to know much at all about those years of grotesque slaughter, even when their own forebears were involved.

The film approaches the subject from an unfamiliar perspective to reach a new audience. In the film there is no mistaking the terror with which the first two soldiers make their moves, their gestures fearing to receive an uncaring bullet in return. The brief interlude of peace is contrasted with what surrounds it. It's a short film and must make its impact very simply and very quickly.

The film's greatest benefit is to raise awareness, to stimulate curiosity. I recently re-watched all 26 episodes of the BBC's epic 1964 series and learned about TGW all over again.

This ad is no more about groceries than the awe-inspiring display at ToL is about flowers. It's a visual metaphor, that's all, so what about some benefit of the doubt, eh, like the humanitarian compassion of that fabled Xmas a century ago?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Excellent Ad.

Couple of points - don't think it actually snowed at Ploegstreet Christmas 1914 and having kicked a ball or two on the actual field, not only isn't it level (slopes up to the German lines) but it would have been well ploughed before the trenches arrived.

Bloody Germans won that game too.

On penalties?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bearing in mind recent internet footage i think its time we had a penguin and seal christmas ad
  • Options
    Can Lincs or anyone else who thinks this ad is commercially exploitative, explain how it is different from -

other ads that reference wars (e.g. Heneiken dambusters)
    films about wars
    novels set around wars
    pop songs about wars
    history books about wars?
  • Options
    Sainsbury's in Locks Bottom have been urged by customers to keep stocking the chocolate bars, saw a notice in store today.

Must be nice chocolate, might treat myself and get a bar, more money for the BL.
  • Options
    Personally think it's disgusting that Sainsbury's are trivialising war to sell a few more Turkeys. I expect most of the cannon fodder of the great war could never even dream of the excesses of modern life that Sainsbury's relies on as a business model.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30417641
  • Options

While I still support the JS venture I also applaud another recent ad of a quite different genre but also a beautifully made little film with an anti-war theme. For those who haven't seen it (sorry, can't do a link) go to YouTube and look for In Reverse, currently standing on 802K views. A truly remarkable ad.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I wonder if the subtlety of the Sainsbury's advert will lead to a group of overworked Tesco employees looking over at their counterparts from Asda on Christmas Eve and result in a football match in the car park and maybe afterwards they exchange nectar points...
    Boxing Day high street hostilities resume....

• Options
    edited December 2014
    http://youtu.be/ZrlZNVi_N54

I love the "I'm blind Dec" bit, right old school biker grove.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha ha posted without seeing that ! :-)