Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ryan Mason and the players buried in PL squads

13»

Comments

• Poor kid, hope he's ok
  • Some good news...

Sportsday - transfers and latest gossip - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/38251129
  • Chizz said:

Some good news...

Sportsday - transfers and latest gossip - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/38251129

Edited, because, for some reason, the link to the story about him tales you straight to a transfer gossip page.

Hull City midfielder Ryan Mason, who has had surgery after fracturing his skull during Sunday's game at Chelsea, has been speaking of the incident in hospital.

Hull released a statement saying: "Ryan will continue to be monitored at the hospital over the coming days where the club will remain in close contact with Ryan, his family and the staff at St Mary's.

"Ryan and his family have also been extremely touched by the overwhelming support they have received and would very much like to thank all of those who have posted such positive comments both on social media and in the press over the last 24 hours."

Hull said Mason had been visited this morning at St Mary's Hospital by club captain Michael Dawson, club doctor Mark Waller, head of medical Rob Price and club secretary Matt Wild
  • edited January 2017

Ryan Mason .. I am surprised that his type of serious injury does not happen more often .. this could be the end of his football career ... all we can do is to wish for a full recovery

The "like" I just gave this was in agreement to the sentiment that it's surprising it's not more frequent.
  • edited January 2017

Ryan Mason .. I am surprised that his type of serious injury does not happen more often .. this could be the end of his football career ... all we can do is to wish for a full recovery

I sometimes wonder if, like we're now seeing with American football, we will at some point see a huge upturn in brain damage diagnoses for former footballers. There's a small but substantial movement in the States to get players to start wearing a particular type of head guard that helps prevent against concussions.

The counter to this would be, given how long football has been around, you probably would have seen evidence of a trend by now. Which is entirely feasible, although 1) concussions are still often incorrectly diagnosed/missed, and 2) given the speed of the game and the physicality of the players, there's a case that collisions are now far riskier.

Hope Ryan Mason is okay.
  • SDAddick said:

I sometimes wonder if, like we're now seeing with American football, we will at some point see a huge upturn in brain damage diagnoses for former footballers. There's a small but substantial movement in the States to get players to start wearing a particular type of head guard that helps prevent against concussions.

The counter to this would be, given how long football has been around, you probably would have seen evidence of a trend by now. Which is entirely feasible, although 1) concussions are still often incorrectly diagnosed/missed, and 2) given the speed of the game and the physicality of the players, there's a case that collisions are now far riskier.

Hope Ryan Mason is okay.
    I think that quite a few of the Old School footballers have had sports related alzheimers most notable being Jeff Astle. There was a thing recently about a ban or proposed ban on kids heading the ball till they got to a certain age.

The old wet soggy footballs must hsve been something to head!
  • Old soggy footballs is why I played midfield!