Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Hughes, Australian Cricketer RIP

After being hit by bouncer in Sheffield Shield match:

espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/802977.html

Hope he pulls through.

Comments

• Scary
    Good luck Phil
  • Hope he pulls through.
  • Terrible - hope to God he pulls through.
    It's always required a degree of physical courage to put yourself out there in cricket, as those who have played the game will appreciate.

• It's always required a degree of physical courage to put yourself out there in cricket, as those who have played the game will appreciate.

Especially at your age......
  • Shocking news, fingers crossed. With all the protection, you take it for granted these days that batsmen will suffer no more than a headache after being sconed, but this is a reminder of the dangers of the short ball, something which modern players tend to be blasé about.
  • This is shocking.

I never thought of cricket as a sport where your life would be at risk - though with a ball flying at you at 90mph I suppose it isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Frightening incident.
  • lets hope he pulls through ...poor beggar
  • edited November 2014
    This is shocking. Genuinely quite upset by this. The video isn't a nice watch either. A very good and effective batsman on his day. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery.
  • From memory, Harmison and Flintoff used to give him loads of problems with the short ball and always got on top of him. It seemed to be his nemesis.

God willing he pulls through. Sickening incident. Brings back bad memories for me when I fractured my cheekbone while keeping behind the stumps back in my teens. Cricket is a bloody dangerous game.
    It's always required a degree of physical courage to put yourself out there in cricket, as those who have played the game will appreciate.

Yep, probably unlike you as I only ever played 3rd team cricket, I have never faced anything above 75 mph but did play against Graham Dilley when we were both 16 and also, as you and Riviera witnessed, once made the mistake of trying to "charge" (without a helmet) at that time the Blackheath first team opening bowling who, whilst not bowling at full pelt, was quick enough to do my damage.

Have also seen 90 mph from a bowling machine and the thing that remains in my mind is the deafening thud against the back wall - and thinking what little reaction time these guys have.

Also spent my time this morning convincing my youngest son that this is a freak accident and that he needs to trust his own ability. Not sure it worked though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Our thoughts are with Phil & his family for a speedy recovery.
  • edited November 2014

Terrible - hope to God he pulls through.

Yep, probably unlike you as I only ever played 3rd team cricket, I have never faced anything above 75 mph but did play against Graham Dilley when we were both 16 and also, as you and Riviera witnessed, once made the mistake of trying to "charge" (without a helmet) at that time the Blackheath first team opening bowling who, whilst not bowling at full pelt, was quick enough to do my damage.

Have also seen 90 mph from a bowling machine and the thing that remains in my mind is the deafening thud against the back wall - and thinking what little reaction time these guys have.

Also spent my time this morning convincing my youngest son that this is a freak accident and that he needs to trust his own ability. Not sure it worked though!
    I'm sure he'll soon put it to the back of his mind, where it normally stays for most cricketers.
    At least he wasn't born in the same era as that speed merchant of the 80s from Blackheath CC. Slim, dark haired chap. I wonder what happened to him....
  • The new playing for my uni I was about a metre away from a mate when he was hit in the face by a straight drive when bowling in the nets... he's since had to have reconstruction surgery on his face..
  • sounds awful, eye witnesses says he was fine for a few seconds after being hit and then went down like he'd been shot.

Thoughts are with him that he pulls through, very good batsman.
  • actually seen more accidents in crowded cricket nets than i have playing ! really hope PH recovers

I'm sure he'll soon put it to the back of his mind, where it normally stays for most cricketers.
    At least he wasn't born in the same era as that speed merchant of the 80s from Blackheath CC. Slim, dark haired chap. I wonder what happened to him....
    You are he will hopefully. I did, however, deliberately show him last year this footage from the incident that ended David Fulton's career as a lesson that you have to concentrate at all times - most of all in the nets.

youtube.com/watch?v=ESFmhcGGxHU

You are he will hopefully. I did, however, deliberately show him last year this footage from the incident that ended David Fulton's career as a lesson that you have to concentrate at all times - most of all in the nets.

Very good advice.

• Addick addict - am sure your boy will be fine and probably forgotten about this incident next time he plays.

Does he have winter nets ?
  • MrOneLung said:

Addick addict - am sure your boy will be fine and probably forgotten about this incident next time he plays.

Does he have winter nets ?

Yes he does - plenty of them including 1-2-1s. He was in the Kent U11 team last year and is trailing again next week for the winter U12 squad. He played as a batsman/leg spin bowler but will now also trial as a keeper too. Following JohnboyUK's story and the Boucher incident I'm not so sure that's a good idea!

He has faced up to 75 mph against the bowling machine but only half volleys on and outside off stump. He pulls very well (just like his Dad in his youth but that's completely another story) but wouldn't want him at this stage practicing against short stuff at faster than about 60.
  • Fingers crossed goes well next week.
  • Sponsored links:

forgot about fulton, very lucky bloke to keep his eye, let alone his eyesight in that eye. Went to school with the academy player in the next net, said it was "fucking scary" - his own words.

Agree about the concentration but this incident was the person feeding the machine's fault right?
  • edited November 2014
    Talal said:

Terrible - hope to God he pulls through.

Agree about the concentration but this incident was the person feeding the machine's fault right?
    Absolutely. The feeder is meant to hold the ball above his head and only drop it into the machine once the batsman acknowledges he's ready. He's probably seen Fulton take his guard and gone through the motions of what he should do without actually recognising that Fulton's head is facing the deck for a lot longer than normal or waiting for fulton to say he's ready to receive the ball.

As a batsman you still need to be aware of what's going on at the other end though just in case.
  • Unfortunately this sort of accident was almost inevitable. Far too many modern batsmen take their eye off the ball when avoiding a bouncer, assuming their helmet will protect them.

Hope he recovers quickly and successfully.
  • Doubt he'll play first class cricket again.
    Best wishes to him - sounds like a decent fella.
  • ABC Tweet was awful

I also find the retraction crass, "Any distress we may have caused" there is no flippin may about it!
  • Unfortunately this sort of accident was almost inevitable. Far too many modern batsmen take their eye off the ball when avoiding a bouncer, assuming their helmet will protect them.

this .. modern pitches and balls are bouncier than of yore, bowlers more aggressive and keener to hit the batsman, batsmen leave 'avoidance' until the last possible split second

this .. modern pitches and balls are bouncier than of yore, bowlers more aggressive and keener to hit the batsman, batsmen leave 'avoidance' until the last possible split second
    Indeed but the other aspect is that, in the old days, there was very little protection and certainly no helmets so batsmen had to watch the ball all the way. Nowadays some players think that they can rely on the protection rather than trusting their own ability to swerve out of the way and consequently actually invite getting hit.
  • Although not sure botham had his eyes on many as he hooked back in the day.