Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Hughes, Australian Cricketer RIP

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely awful news . Made me feel so sad. RIP
  • Options
    There are only a hundred known cases of someone being killed as a result of being hit on that artery at the back of the neck. And Phil is only the second cricketer to die in those circumstances.

More players have died as a result of being hit under the heart in the field which rather sums up the freakish nature of the incident.

Helmets might now, however, have more protection added at the back because human reaction, especially at short leg, is to turn your head.
  • Options
    Very sad news. Did't realize he was only 25.
  • Options
    Really sad news to wake up to. RIP Phil.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Very sad news. Did't realize he was only 25.

He would have been 26 on Sunday which will only serve to add to the family's grief - if that's possible.
  • Options
    RIP

So sad
  • Options
    Terrible news, so sad. RIP Phil.
  • Options
    Blimey, what with the advances of medical science, I guess I had assumed he would pull through despite the seriousness of his injury. Was shocked when I heard the news this morning.

I cant stop thinking about Sean Abbot. How on earth do you reconcile something like that? Cant begin to imagine how he must be feeling.

Such a tragedy for Phil Hughes and the game of cricket.
  • Options
    Very sad news and can only echo the sentiments on this thread already.

RIP Hughes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awful news, RIP.

Feel terribly sorry for Sean Abbott too, he'll be thinking and rethinking the decision he made to bowl what is a completely normal ball and what's happened as a result, can't begin to imagine how heavily that will weigh on him.
  • Options
    Terrible news, so sad. R.I.P. Phil
  • Options
    Terrible.

RIP
  • Options
    Such sad news. RIP
  • Options
    Very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family
  • Options
    Awful news.

RIP
  • Options
    A real shame, will no doubt save others from this freak accident, by raising awareness and bring forward compulsory changes in equipment

Rip Hughsey
  • Options
    Tragic news for everyone involved. RIP
  • Options
    Hadn't really been following this then heard this morning he had died.

Tragic

• Options
    Terrible news - RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very sad. I had been thinking quite a bit about this and how awful the bowler would be feeling. 63 not out rest in peace hughesy thoughts with the poor guys family
  • Options
    Very sad news.

A complete freak accident, but a reminder to cricketers that the short ball isn't something to be treated lightly. A whole generation has grown up with protective equipment, and assumed that they were totally safe even if they were hit.
  • Options
    Horrendous news, RIP Phil, and thoughts to Sean Abbott as well, I hope he gets all the help he needs.

25, playing the sport he loved. Truly tragic.
  • Options
    A glorious life, but ended far, far too early. RIP Philip Hughes.

Echo @Carter sentiments about the bowler. What a weight on that poor guy's shoulders.

Hope that, in years to come, his loved ones will take comfort from the fact that he died playing the sport he loved.
  • Options
    Terribly tragic news. Rip young man. Thoughts go out to his family. My thoughts are also with the young bowler whose life will never be the same
  • Options
    A shocker, nobody would expect something like this to happen but just goes to show that protective clothing only does so much.

RIP poor guy.
  • Options
    Just awful news RIP Phil my thoughts are with family and friends
  • Options
    Feel awful. Thoughts are with Phil Hughes' family and Abbott and his family.

Genuinely devastated, like johnboy, i thought he would pull through having seen sportsman such as fabrice muamba and michael schumacher come back from the brink. The damage was just too much. Tragic.
  • Options
    Awful. Absolutely awful.

Thoughts with his fellow players, friends and family. Also, thoughts for the bowler who must not know what to do with himself at the moment.

Phil Hughes, 63 not out, RIP.