Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is there anyone else who has never left a game before the end?

Comments

• Options
    Me.
  • Options

Twice, Sheff Utd home went 5-1 down after 60 mins i think we lost 5-2 and Swindon home losing 4-1 after being a goal up missed Pawel Abbott score a good goal.
    Both of them games the manager got sacked almost straight after i think.

So you are responsible for the sacking, hahaha
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

In over 54 years of watching Football i have never left before the end. Even when we were 6-0 down against dirty Leeds. I have got masochistic tendencies.

Building on this...last time I left was 70's, 6-0 away at Luton, heard the cheer for 7-0 on the way out. Found out at the station, we scored a penalty to make it 7-1. I bet I can find at least one more lifer that was at that match?
  • Options
    We played Carlisle on a Friday night in the 80's ... its was 0-0 at half time, left as it was shit and got home to see it finished ...

0-0
  • Options

Left early when we were 4-2 down against Norwich in the 90's. Needless to say on the way to my car I heard to massive cheers. 4-4 goals from Leadburn and Jason Lee I think.
    Bugger - served me right.

Exactly the same game for me. Heard the roar from our 3rd as I was walking at the back of the stand, then the equaliser as I just got outside. It was a strange mixture of joy & depression mashed together. I also left a couple of minutes early (whilst at Selhurst) against Newcastle and Robert Lee scored a late equaliser for us..........
  • Options
    Only once, pre-season friendly.v Porto when I had to get to work.
  • Options
    Never
  • Options
    kafka said:

dickplumb said:

In over 54 years of watching Football i have never left before the end. Even when we were 6-0 down against dirty Leeds. I have got masochistic tendencies.

Building on this...last time I left was 70's, 6-0 away at Luton, heard the cheer for 7-0 on the way out. Found out at the station, we scored a penalty to make it 7-1. I bet I can find at least one more lifer that was at that match?
    I was there, and I'm pretty sure I stayed to the bitter end. Our penalty was so soft I was convinced the ref gave it out of sympathy.
  • Options
    Loads of times Charlton and England- never regretted it.

If you're getting dicked and the home/away support are taking the piss why would you want to stand and witness anymore.

Back to the boozer or beat the traffic.

• Options
    I only leave Millwall early, cause I s*** myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wife drives me mad with this. Remember having to sit till the bitter end on a freezing Boxing Day / NYD when Di Canio's West Ham dicked us.
  • Options

Wife drives me mad with this. Remember having to sit till the bitter end on a freezing Boxing Day / NYD when Di Canio's West Ham dicked us.

that's the only one I can remember leaving early, but I've probably left on 90 for a few big defeats like Leeds/Arsenal.
    And all the effort I went to to get a ticket for that game as well.

• Options
    I've never left a Charlton game early! I remember when very young leaving Highbury early (was taken there by a family friend to see an Arsenal match) and it seemed odd to me at the time, even back then... I guess I'm a bit completist :-)
  • Options

Left early when we were 4-2 down against Norwich in the 90's. Needless to say on the way to my car I heard to massive cheers. 4-4 goals from Leadburn and Jason Lee I think.
    Bugger - served me right.

Yep, me too :-(
    Sounds like I was one of the few that stayed. Surprised any cheers could be heard at all given that 90% of the crowd were already on the way home! But what a comeback... with 10 men too. Just proves you should never leave early.

Also stayed to the bitter end for the 2-5 vs Sheffield United when Weaver (among others) had a mare. My kids' first match as well, fortunately I took the precaution of nailing their coats to the seats. Their 2nd match was much better though - 0-4 against Brighton. And yes we stayed till the end.
  • Options
    Only once, Reading away during the Les Reed era. Left five minutes before the end as couldn't take anymore and wanted to get to the station quickly.

Also left a league cup evening game by accident years ago (possibly premiership years). Full time whistle went, presumed it was going to replay so walked out. Half way up the hill to get a drink in The Swan and heard chanting/singing, so ran back down and security wouldn't let me back in.
    I had to listen to extra time and penalties (we lost) on sky sports news in the pub.
  • Options
    Just twice in 44 yrs.

Along with many others, the last time was at the Valley when Leeds hit their 6th.

Prior to that it was Oldham away at Boundary Park in the mid 80's. It was a midweek evening game and it was absolutely freezing, with out a doubt the coldest I've ever known it at a match (even colder than that Christmas match away at Huddersfield in 99).

Somehow I managed to go in a flimsy pair of canvass shoes and my feet froze, I was nearly crying with the pain in my toes. So I wimped off at half time and have never been as pleased to get in to a car in my life and de frost my toes.
  • Options
    Haven't left a Charlton match early. Left Luton v Oxford early a few seasons ago, and then got kettled. DOn't believe in leaving early.
  • Options
    Never.
  • Options
    Left the game at 60 minutes against Brighton at home think it was 4-0.
  • Options
    No - I've never left a game early. It is probably a kind of dogged (and misguided) point of principle. It may also reflect some kind of slightly illogical, primal fear that you might miss something if you do.

Still, we can't all be Bernie Ecclestones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never left a game early, I'm clearly some sort of masochist.
    I understand why people leave a few minutes early, but my travel to and from The Valley is not affected by the numbers of people leaving so it doesn't motivate me
  • Options
    Never, until the third went in at the toolbox. And then had to wait about an hour and a half to be allowed to leave the vicinity.
  • Options
    Three times.

82/83 Rotherham home. Left at 4-1 down, finished 5-1.

92/93 Millwall home. Left with 20 mins to go. 2 down and never looked like getting a goal, let alone a point. Finished 2 nil.

13/14 Sheffield United away. Left at the start of injury time to beat the traffic and get away from the drab performance. Still got stuck in traffic.
  • Options
    Guilty! Left way before the end at home to Sheffield United when we were about 5-1 down after an hour. Decided to start the journey back to Norbury early and didn't regret it.

Nottingham Forest at home 2-0 defeat January 2009. First game I took my then girlfriend (now wife) to. It was absolutely freezing and the pitch had to be inspected prior to kick off... I did it for her ;-)

Sheffield United away 13/14. This was somehow even more depressing than the other Blades defeat. I must have been unbearable to be around. Left early and didn't say a word to anyone for almost two hours (Two of those three matches resulted in mangers losing their jobs, so it must have been pretty bad).

Don't really agree with leaving early though and would like to think I would stick though till the end now. Never understand when fans leave when there's only one goal in it.
  • Options
    Used to have to when I was a kid as my parents picking me up wouldnt want to get stuck in traffic.

Now though - Unthinkable
  • Options
    Twice in 30 years

Wolves (away) 1997/98 season. Left with 15 mins to go 3 down at the time. It was the night that shithouse Muscat ended Matty Holmes career.

Sheffield United (away) Last season in the FA Cup. Left in injury time.
  • Options
    Never left early when I lived near to Charlton but since living in Hants I had to leave early in the evening game against Derby to get a train home, thought we were fine as 3-1 up, so missed the late Derby goal, and will have to leave on Sat to get the 2.17 as have to get three trains and a bus home, due to engineering work. Shame our games never finish when they should or could do it easily. Never left due to the score though.
  • Options
    Saw people leaving 5-10 minutes before the end of the Millwall game on Saturday. 0-0 in your local derby, with all to play for. These people are mentally deficient scum, and should have their season tickets confiscated.

I remember leaving The Den early in 09/10 after we let the 3rd goal in. The gates were closed but we managed to break them open and escape that hell hole. I felt so alive.
  • Options

Saw people leaving 5-10 minutes before the end of the Millwall game on Saturday. 0-0 in your local derby, with all to play for. These people are mentally deficient scum, and should have their season tickets confiscated.

I remember leaving The Den early in 09/10 after we let the 3rd goal in. The gates were closed but we managed to break them open and escape that hell hole. I felt so alive.

Bit strong!
  • Options
    left the brighton 0-4 game at 0-3, was walking out of floyd road when I heard the 4th, just kept walking