Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is there anyone else who has never left a game before the end?

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Not since I've been old enough to get to games under my own steam. I vaguely remember being forced to leave early when I was a kid, and moaning at my Dad all the way home. There have been so many games where the last few minutes have been pivotal that it's daft to risk it. The only time I've been remotely tempted was the 5-0 at West Ham on Boxing Day in the Prem. It was bloody cold and we were shockingly bad, and I had the hump at it being an early kickoff anyway

Yes same. Dad would sometimes drag us out early, especially when we were younger to avoid the crowds.

But since going on my own, I am proud to say I've never left early and I never will! :)
  • Options
    That lovely Tuesday evening when a certain Mr Alonso made his brilliant debut for us.......... that was dreadful. Brentford absolutely dicked us.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I was at Man City v Swansea on Saturday and the guy sitting next to me turned up 15 minutes after kick off, went for cuppa 5 minutes before half time, returned 10 minutes after half time and left 10 minutes before the end. I reckon he saw just over 50% of the game, which at £45 per ticket is a pricey cuppa etc. Of course, he was texting for most of the time he was in his seat.
  • Options
    My brother in law tells of when his dad used to take him to the Valley and always left 10 minutes before the end regardless to make sure he missed the traffic. Never saw a whole game. This can clearly cause mental problems, he became a Villa supporter for reasons I've never quite understood but assume he suffered leaving-the-game-early brain trauma.
  • Options
    kafka said:

dickplumb said:

In over 54 years of watching Football i have never left before the end. Even when we were 6-0 down against dirty Leeds. I have got masochistic tendencies.

Building on this...last time I left was 70's, 6-0 away at Luton, heard the cheer for 7-0 on the way out. Found out at the station, we scored a penalty to make it 7-1. I bet I can find at least one more lifer that was at that match?
    you can indeed.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Saw people leaving 5-10 minutes before the end of the Millwall game on Saturday. 0-0 in your local derby, with all to play for. These people are mentally deficient scum, and should have their season tickets confiscated.

Surely that treatment should be reserved for last Saturday's opponents ;-)
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

82/83 Rotherham home. Left at 4-1 down, finished 5-1.

My first ever football match! I was probably the only Charlton fan in the ground who really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    shirty5 said:

82/83 Rotherham home. Left at 4-1 down, finished 5-1

Uboat said:

shirty5 said:

82/83 Rotherham home. Left at 4-1 down, finished 5-1.

My first ever football match! I was probably the only Charlton fan in the ground who really enjoyed it.
    Remember that fateful match well, after being told his job was safe, Ken Craggs was sacked by Hulyer two days later. IIRC Craggs lost the plot pushing Paul Elliott up front when we were behind and then the flood gates really opened.
  • Options
    The only time I can recall was when we were at home in an early kick off to Man City in the Prem when I left as the fourth official put the board up as I had to get home promptly because my daughter was off on a school trip later that afternoon.

Chris Perry got the equaliser as I was on the concourse.....
  • Options
    never have, never will.

Went to Stamford Bridge once for a CFC v CAFC game with my Chelsea supporting cousin's. Was told they would leave a couple of minutes early to beat the traffic and if I was late they'd go without me. Tube home was fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't say I've never left early. When my boys were young I'd occasionally leave a couple of minutes early, especially if the result was not in question. They were not always able to stand 90 minutes of Charlton (different now).

These days I never leave early - I am such an optimist that if there is 5 minutes remaining and we are 5-0 down I'd still be hoping for a draw (minimum).
  • Options
    No never, but did for the first time leave a concert before the end last week
  • Options
    All these angels who say they have never left a game early - Does that mean the streams of people walking up the steps in the east stand on 85 minutes are not on Charlton Life?
  • Options
    Don't understand it whatsoever. You can go back down the pub any time you want during the week/weekend.
  • Options
    Actually remember the first game I left early, we lost 2-5 at home to Sheffield United. Oh Pardew..
  • Options
    I've never left before the end of a game. I've tried twice - once in a pre-season ahead of the first Gritt-Curbs season, and the other from the Dell in our first Prem season - but didn't make the exit beforehand. Whistle beat me both times. I very rarely even consider it.
  • Options
    I've never left before the end of the game either. My dad has often left the ground early out of frustration (one being the Leeds thrashing we recevied at the hands of Viduka) but he had to wait for me outside because i refused to leave.
  • Options

Left early when we were 4-2 down against Norwich in the 90's. Needless to say on the way to my car I heard to massive cheers. 4-4 goals from Leadburn and Jason Lee I think.
    Bugger - served me right.

Me too. But we walked to the train station so we quite close to the away end so couldn't tell who scored. We didn't know whether it was 4-4, 5-3 or 6-2. we asked a policeman who radioed a colleague inside the ground and got the score for us.
  • Options
    Have never left early - you never know what might happen?
  • Options
    Me too - even if we are losing heavily how the players react tells you a lot about them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All these angels who say they have never left a game early - Does that mean the streams of people walking up the steps in the east stand on 85 minutes are not on Charlton Life?

No they are the ones who get pessimistic reports in early accusing those who see silver linings of unrealistic optimism.
  • Options
    The opposite realy but Burnley away in the 70s,we hired a car and got to the ground about 5 minutes late.Sat in the Cricket field stand i think it was called then.The wernt many Charlton fans there that day ,and we watch a thrilling game that we thought Charlton were losing 4-3 until we overheard someone say it was now 4-4 in the second half.Me missed an early Bob Curtis penalty
  • Options
    sm said:

No they are the ones who get pessimistic reports in early accusing those who see silver linings of unrealistic optimism.
    eh?
  • Options
    Feel like I should be in a confessions box, but I once left early against oxford at home. It was to get a head start on train journeys.
  • Options
    I stayed until the end once at the play-off final and one or two other way games. Apart from that I leave in stoppage time, usually with about a minute remaining.
    I always see the goals though, as I can see it on the TV and online as many times as I want in the following days. The 'would you leave a film early?' analogy is a load of bollocks too, as I do know the outcome at the same time as the rest of you whilst walking up that damn hill.
  • Options
    Wonder if a anyone left 5 minutes before full time at Wembley before Richard Rufus equaliser If there is bet they wouldn't admit it
  • Options

Wonder if a anyone left 5 minutes before full time at Wembley before Richard Rufus equaliser If there is bet they wouldn't admit it

Why what happened?
  • Options
    Never left early but did get to the last game of the season at half time with score at 0-0
    Not realizing it was early kick off!
    Went on to win 4-1 I think
    And we didn't have to pay the £5 car park as attendant had gone!
  • Options

I walked off when we went 4-3 down and just walked about in the bowels of the stadium. I bumped into my brother down there. We were down there when we heard the equaliser and both broke into a run, as if we could somehow get there in time to see it go in.
  • Options
    Was brought up never to leave early, so I have never ever left early. It sickens me when people leave early, like when we were 4-0 down against Notts County in our record breaking champions season to the championship people were leaving before half time! It disgusts me that people would do that especially as we'd been fantastic all season.