Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is there anyone else who has never left a game before the end?

124»

Comments

• Options
    The only time I sort of 'left early' was when we were on a silver service meal day at forest in 1997. We went downstairs to the bar at half time, which was somewhere out the back of their main stand and being as they had the game on screens in there, and also what with the bar being open, we never returned to our seats in the stand! We ended up losing 5-2, so probably a good decision!
    Other than that, I don't recall leaving early any other time, I like to get my money's worth!
  • Options

Was brought up never to leave early, so I have never ever left early. It sickens me when people leave early, like when we were 4-0 down against Notts County in our record breaking champions season to the championship people were leaving before half time! It disgusts me that people would do that especially as we'd been fantastic all season.

You must be a very young fan, good luck with that principle for the next 50 years :-)
  • Options
    Once, in 52 years of support. Was around 3 years ago, cannot remember who we were playing but still feel guilty about it.
  • Options
    I've only left a game early once. We were playing Stockport in the cup and my mate was very ill and it was bloody freezing. After half an hour of him moaning I caved and went home with him, he was admitted to hospital the next day, and I ended up missing our bloody winner.

Another friend left the Charlton v Blackburn game early in 2004 and missed that goal for Claus...we still take the piss out of him about it to this day.
  • Options

Was brought up never to leave early, so I have never ever left early. It sickens me when people leave early, like when we were 4-0 down against Notts County in our record breaking champions season to the championship people were leaving before half time! It disgusts me that people would do that especially as we'd been fantastic all season.

Disgusts and sickens? - Bit strong. Not like the person leaving the ground has just comitted somekind of heinous crime is it?
  • Options
    So did anyone see a 0-0 draw today because they left too soon?
  • Options

So did anyone see a 0-0 draw today because they left too soon?

'fraid so, I just had a horrible feeling.
  • Options
    I can't remember the last time I stayed until the end of a game. I got out of the habit a few years ago. Leaving on 90 minutes gets me home 30 minutes earlier and you can get a lot done in 30 minutes if you put your mind to it. I don't feel in any way ashamed, or that I am missing out. I would have liked to see the last minute goal against QPR last season but I was happy to miss the Ipswich winner yesterday. I don't agree with the film analogy; very few games are defined by what happens in injury time. You pay your money, you make your choice.
  • Options
    I wish I did yesterday!
  • Options
    Well I left on around 92 mins when their player was getting treatment as there was no way either team would score....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never have and never will leave early no matter what the score and part of the game for me is clapping the players off at the end plus seeing there reactions
  • Options

Once, in 52 years of support. Was around 3 years ago, cannot remember who we were playing but still feel guilty about it.

You're forgiven !
  • Options
    Just a question to people who have been going to football matches for 20 years plus: Is leaving before full-time more of a recent thing? Because I think, generally, most people have become less patient in day to day life. Everything happens so fast. If our computers are only functioning as quickly as they would have ten years ago, it's a major problem. In supermarkets we get frustrated if the self-checkout plays up even though we haven't had to queue up and the situation will be sorted out within seconds. I think it's a real shame that life has become so fast paced that we (myself included) don't always allow ourselves to stick around and watch the conclusion of games that seem to mean so much to us just to beat the traffic. If I stop and think I'd realise that I'd much rather see a last minute Johnnie Jackson winner and get home half an hour later than miss it. No better feeling in football.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

The only time I've been remotely tempted was the 5-0 at West Ham on Boxing Day in the Prem. It was bloody cold and we were shockingly bad, and I had the hump at it being an early kickoff anyway

This one - in fact we left at 4-0, The Addicks were never going to score in a month of boxing days. Decision vindicated when we heard the cheer for their fifth as we walked down Green Street. Can't recall any others.
  • Options

kafka said:

dickplumb said:

In over 54 years of watching Football i have never left before the end. Even when we were 6-0 down against dirty Leeds. I have got masochistic tendencies.

Building on this...last time I left was 70's, 6-0 away at Luton, heard the cheer for 7-0 on the way out. Found out at the station, we scored a penalty to make it 7-1. I bet I can find at least one more lifer that was at that match?
    you can indeed.
    And me. Although I was a Hatter then...

I actually stood with the Addicks fans for some reason, and they were top quality even in the face of such adversity. No doubt influencing me in later life.
  • Options
    I am pleased to say my Daughter and I left the Wycombe cup game at half time and have never regretted it.
  • Options
    Never left a game early. Wonder if that makes me a masochist?
  • Options
    Can't say I remember leaving a game early but won't say for sure that I haven't. I wish people would be a bit more graceful about it - as soon as that pearoller on Saturday crossed the line, far too many people were heading for the exits, looks pitiful and bet the Ipswich fans were lapping it up.