Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benty on loan! (to Brighton)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2014
    thenewbie said:

He would've buried George's chance in the last min on sat....that's the difference

No, Benty at his best would have buried that chance. The current model Darren Bent would probably have done no better than Tucudean, or have much better a record - on a considerably higher wage to boot. Let's face the facts folks, the best years of his career were with Charlton back in the Premiership - a long time ago. He's not looked half the same player ever since his stint at Tottenham.
    Are you marcus bent in disguise, jealous of the fact the only bent anyone remembers is darren?
  • Options
    Benty will get goals for BHAFC. I wish we had taken a chance on him for a couple of months.
  • Options
    I'm getting all sentimental watching those goals over again. He made the difficult things look so easy. I'm not knocking any players we've got now as they are here and are trying their best, but we're unlikely to have a player as good as Dazza (was) in our team again. He's not the player he used to be and if he does well at BHA so be it. He's a decent bloke so good luck to him.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

He would've buried George's chance in the last min on sat....that's the difference

No, Benty at his best would have buried that chance. The current model Darren Bent would probably have done no better than Tucudean, or have much better a record - on a considerably higher wage to boot. Let's face the facts folks, the best years of his career were with Charlton back in the Premiership - a long time ago. He's not looked half the same player ever since his stint at Tottenham.
    Except he did even better at Sunderland. More goals in fewer games
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I thought we were looking for a target man and foil for Igor not a much more mature version who at 30 doesn't exactly fit the RD investment profile as much as I loved Dazza when he was here. Mind you TBH is no spring chicken.
  • Options
    Not seen this reported anywhere & last night I heard Sky say that Villa are really short on strikers & only have Agbonlahor & Bent fit.........
  • Options
    Must be getting sick of all those splinters stuck to his arse but there must be a reason why he has dropped down the pecking order for the last couple of teams he has played for.
  • Options

What a player he was in his prime!

Who played the ball for the second goal here against Man City? Cracking delivery!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Who played the ball for the second goal here against Man City? Cracking delivery!

Talal El Karkouri, believe it or not. Fantastic pass.

Have to say I'm leaning towards Benty being a bit of a has been these days - probably would be the new JFH if we were to sign him again now. Phenomenal in his day though - have we ever had a striker who was better in a one-on-one with the keeper? Once he was away you just knew he was going to score. Criminal he didn't get a better run with England particularly not going to World Cup 2006, and a bit stupid that he finally got into the team a bit of regularity just as his league form first started to fade.

Wish him all the best at BHA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shame we didn't go for him. Has our owner/coach got anything against English/British players.
    Only don't recall signing any except youngsters already here since August?
  • Options

Shame we didn't go for him. Has our owner/coach got anything against English/British players.
    Only don't recall signing any except youngsters already here since August?

He signed Henderson
  • Options
    Think Henderson is from Eire!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say dodged a bullet but I certainly wouldn't be so suicidal that we missed him.until he shows what he can do at bha
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Listen to some people you'd think he has.been stranded on a desert island. The bloke's 30, and his goals record at Villa is better than his record at Spurs.

Benty needs a manager with a bit of confidence in him, a crowd singing his name, and a goal.

Suspect Brighton are paying no more than 10% max of his wages.

He's not that old, but he does look to have lost a bit of pace. He did poach the odd goal, but his game was mainly about smart movement and pace off the shoulder of the last defender and if he has lost pace, he just won't be as potent as he used to be. Benty has scored hat fulls everywhere he's played, but the goals have dried up in the last couple of seasons, which isn't a great sign

• Options
    90% of Bents game was his speed & movement. Not convinced he has either of these in his locker anymore..........
  • Options
    It says a lot that Bent can't get into a ruddy awful Aston Villa side.

Treasure the memory. It's better than him coming back and ruining it.
  • Options

90% of Bents game was his speed & movement. Not convinced he has either of these in his locker anymore..........

Yes, I think he's like Michael Owen, a player who peaked when young, but declined once he lost his pace and mobility.

3 goals in 24 league games for Fulham last seasont
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rather get Redknapps wife Sandra in !
  • Options
    Gutted.
  • Options
    When people say they dont want to be in the premiership they have to accept that they miss the chance to see top top players like Bent,Dicaneo,Parker play for our great club.Of course we must try to get back there.
  • Options
    Depends how long for, if it was until the end of the season with the option to send him back if we choose then maybe. If it's just to get him match fit to give Villa another striking option in a couple of months then no thanks.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Jesus, huge huge missed opportunity

Huge being the operative word.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Depends how long for, if it was until the end of the season with the option to send him back if we choose then maybe. If it's just to get him match fit to give Villa another striking option in a couple of months then no thanks.

It also depends what share of his not insignificant wages we have to take on.
  • Options
    Some great memories on those films. The first goal I always think of regarding Bent was Birmingham at home, where he out sprinted and outmuscled Melchiot, yet made it look effortlessly easy before slotting past the keeper.
    It doesn't surprise me one bit that we didn't get him on loan, he doesn't fit at all with RD's vision and plan. It's a shame for us knowing his past with the club, but that is of no interest to the new owner.
    Enjoyed looking back at how incredible his finishing one on one was (and we will see with Brighton whether he still has that).