Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benty on loan! (to Brighton)

Comments

• Options
    Still not signed. Maybe others are now interested. Maybe us. I'm in two minds. Would love him back as long as he can discover his form again, would hate it if he came back and was a huge flop. I
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    According to sky sports news, he will be signing in the next 48 hours for a 28 day loan.
  • Options
    Some fantastic memories and the best striker we've had for many years but the wage contribution is probably too high for us - remember that Villa bought at the top of the market - and Darren Bent is not, in truth, the future. I hope he does well at Brighton but he looks like a player in need of TLC and I do wonder how long Hyypia will last if they don't start putting a few wins together. Not too long, I suspect.

For a club with their ambition, level and support and momentum of recent seasons, Brighton's points total of 18 is abysmal. They have zero prospect of making the play-offs, which was probably their realistic objective pre-season and I see also that Baldock is currently leading O'Grady 1-0 this season in the battle of imaginary and real CAFC transfer targets (and O'Grady is a player I like).

Hopefully we can get someone decent in but, as we well know, it's easier said than done.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

I could be wrong, but it looks like the fire has gone out with Benty.

Agree with this. Really hope he does well there though. A lovely chap and a lethal finisher back in the day.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Even a Darren Bent at 30% would infinitely improve us and our chances of winning games.

Like a 30% Hasselbaink did...
  • Options
    No I don't think a 30% Darren Bent would be anything like the 35 year old Dutchman we signed
  • Options
    Plus Jimmy Fat was in a struggling Prem team, which we currently aren't.
  • Options
    There was never a chance that Roland would go for Bent, his wages far to high. estimates put his wages at £60,000 a week, now we know why Brighton voted to do away with FFP rules to all intents and puposes.
  • Options
    Would not be surprised to see COG come here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we have to understand guys, we have a forward plan to achieve success. It concerns finances and player development choices. There is no point in setting yourselves up to work to a plan, and then throw it out of the window to pay silly money for a player that we loved years ago, who frankly has not performed for a long time.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Would not be surprised to see COG come here.

I think he might turn out to be the one we're missing............
  • Options
    Just read that Bent was on £120k a week at Spurs. I'm sure his wages will have dropped since then but probably not to any level I'd want Charlton to be shelling out.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Brighton are dangerously close to the Relegation zone...

If a promotion contendor like Ipswich were after him (i.e. another club he's once had ties with... and he probably has stronger ties with Ipswich than us) I could understand the annoyance at us not going for him
  • Options
    I'm definitely in the would love to see him back at the Valley camp. I reckon he will do fairly well for BHA but sentiment makes me think he would find his A game again here.

Tempered by the fact that memories would be tarnished if he turned up with anything apart from a willingness to work and get fit again.

Clearly needs to shift some timber but don't underestimate the positive effect of returning to a familiar and well-loved environment. I am sure his ability to strike the ball exactly where he wants to would come back with a bit of confidence. Always was great at holding it up and bringing others into play so don't see him as incompatible with Vetokele.

Wishful thinking I guess but we will all be a bit.gutted if he starts scoring every week in this division for someone else.
  • Options
    Nothing but great memories of DB's time at the Valley. In fact, I seriously believe DB was one of the top strikers in the country when he played for us and we were privileged to watch him at his peak. Indeed, if we hadn't been "little" Charlton, I'm sure he would have made the England team more often. Even when he left, he did it properly and I'd give him a huge cheer if he ever returns to the Valley with another club.

Anyway, it's not a bad thing he is off to Brighton. They can get him fit and we can all see if he still has it. If not, we've not wasted a penny. If he has, then as soon as his loan spell is up, we can move in and nick him off Brighton. (In my dreams, of course, because I suspect there's no way RD is going to fork out the money such a deal would cost).

Saying that, would a Vetokele/Bent partnership actually work as they are both a bit similar in playing style. All I know is that it would be nice to test it out!
  • Options
    He's a poacher now, hasnt got that pace that make him special all those years ago. Thing is we've probably got other legs in the team, and how much would we lose switching GT for him? We're not that special either. He's still going to be a better finisher than anything in our squad and the home crowd could have given him the boost in confidence he needed.

That being said he's probably off the pace and needs some time to sharpen up. Lets let Brighton do that for the first month then pick him up in Jan... or another striker (even RD must be able to see that we need to sign something up front on a permanent deal).

I foresee a few squad players heading off like Church etc, creating a bit of space in the budget for at least 1 forward. Cheers for the good times tho benty, those vines bring back some great memories.
  • Options
    Would he be the difference turning all these draws into wins.

Going to be interesting to see if he can still do it at Brighton.

Loved benty and wish him all the best apart from against us.
  • Options
    Some great memories on the vines but as others have said, we don't know if he has that genuine hunger any more, let alone the pace. Great fun anyway watching the ranting, arm-flapping, disillusioned fans of a string of clubs that thought they should be cruising against little Charlton as they took their turn to be sent packing, off to call 5 Live demanding another sacking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brighton were said to have been paying £10k a week of Wayne Bridge's £90k a week wages.

Given Brighton changed their mind on FFP I wouldn't be surprised if they're willing to pay that for Bent.

Is he worth that? Yeah he probably would give us more than JFH did but maybe the club are looking to bring in someone better and younger on a permanent deal.
  • Options
    I think we were paying around 10-20% of Sordell's wages last season.
  • Options
    I'd have him back, he needs to burn off the chub first though
  • Options
    Bent is not the player he was back in 2006/7 for us, he has put on bulk and lost pace and it says a lot that nobody else came in for him in the summer when Villa were desperate to offload him.
  • Options
    The whole point is we don't have a replacement for igor. George is a decent #10 and will improve. If igor as ever is getting the shit knocked out of him wouldn't it be brilliant to have Darren Bent to give him a rest before the weather kicks in and makes the pitches havens for injuries?

And as for losing his pace? He might have lost confidence but he has not lost pace
  • Options
    We haven't got a replacement for Igor, but Bent is not the answer.
  • Options
    The guy has scored a ton of goals since leaving Charlton, including a few for England for christ sake.

Villa and Fulham have been two of the most miserable and depressing clubs to be at in the past few years, both with absolute pillocks for managers.

Darren Bent would be an improvement on George with his eyes closed and standing on one leg.
  • Options
    You know, I'm not at all sure Benty and Igor would make for a very good partnership. I have nothing but great memories of Benty up front for us but almost all of those goals in the clips posted above are one on ones or him running on to through balls. Not much inter-play with a striking partner. Since he left us it's often been said that he is best playing as the lone striker and I can see why.

If I could have any striker back (in our recent history) to play with Igor it would be Andy Hunt. Not as naturally gifted as a goalscorer as Benty, Clive or Killer but great in the air, great hold up play, great team-player. What a huge loss he was when his illness destroyed his career.
  • Options
    Carter said:

The whole point is we don't have a replacement for igor. George is a decent #10 and will improve. If igor as ever is getting the shit knocked out of him wouldn't it be brilliant to have Darren Bent to give him a rest before the weather kicks in and makes the pitches havens for injuries?

And as for losing his pace? He might have lost confidence but he has not lost pace

It could be, but he's going to expect to play regularly though isn't he, not be rotated with other strikers.