Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dave Whelan

Comments

• Options
    In many ways Whelan by making himself available to the press for umpteen interviews over the McKay furore has made a rod for his own back. As has been said before on here, he is an old man with an old fashioned ideas and an old fashioned non-pc vocabulary. If he had kept quiet or sat down with and taken advice from a media adviser before discussing the issues, he may well not have put himself in this position.
    He will be found 'guilty as charged', if he then walks away in a fit of pique, it will be a very sad end for a man who, like him or loath him, has done a lot for football and for the town of Wigan in particular.
  • Options
    what could the FA do ? not a fan of the FA and obviously the PC bollox but when he virtually says the identical things as MM did that that resulted in the original charge there was nowhere for the FA to go. If he gets off watch the Black Lawyers etc etc come out of the woodwork (unless they are camped outside the USA embassy)
  • Options
    Here's my take on it. Wrote this last week for The Football Pink website - http://footballpink.net/2014/11/21/the-price-of-banter/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    He will be sweating like a Jew at a Cashpoint Paedo in a playground mad man waiting to hear his punishment
  • Options
    Fun fact: he might walk away from Wigan but he couldn't walk away from an FA Cup Final after breaking his leg - betcha didn't know that
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fun fact: he might walk away from Wigan but he couldn't walk away from an FA Cup Final after breaking his leg - betcha didn't know that
    seriously he broke his leg in an FA Cup final, how comes he has never mentioned that
  • Options

Sorry. But there are far far worse people than Dave Whelan bringing the game into disrepute and going unpunished.

Spot on.

It's a load of old bollocks Imo. Football is a complete and utter shambles at the moment...Bit like the world in general really.
  • Options
    I picture a cold, rainy, December day. Dave Whelan and Malky Mackay are sharing a sandwich on Wigan Pier. The news comes through that Dave and Malkay are both found guilty by the FA. Dave starts to well up, a little tear rolling down his cheek. Just behind the bandstand of Wigan pier you catch a glimpse of Andy Delort with his dad. They turn to one another and Andy's dad says 'notre travail ici est terminé'

The theme tune to Brookside plays as the credits roll. The credits are the FA Cup winning team of 2013. This production was brought to you by Pathe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

what could the FA do ? not a fan of the FA and obviously the PC bollox but when he virtually says the identical things as MM did that that resulted in the original charge there was nowhere for the FA to go. If he gets off watch the Black Lawyers etc etc come out of the woodwork (unless they are camped outside the USA embassy)

Have to agree, whatever the rights or wrongs of what other people have said and done, Whelan made comments very very similar to the ones that got Mackay into hot water, and he did it through the national press, no hacking or tapping, he put it out there himself. It's damned if they do, damned if they don't, but frankly saying what he said I can't see him NOT being at the least reprimanded.
  • Options

In many ways Whelan by making himself available to the press for umpteen interviews over the McKay furore has made a rod for his own back. As has been said before on here, he is an old man with an old fashioned ideas and an old fashioned non-pc vocabulary. If he had kept quiet or sat down with and taken advice from a media adviser before discussing the issues, he may well not have put himself in this position.
    He will be found 'guilty as charged', if he then walks away in a fit of pique, it will be a very sad end for a man who, like him or loath him, has done a lot for football and for the town of Wigan in particular.

If they had a media advisor he/she should be let go straight away. Those on the board should know about Whelan and his old fashioned views and had someone else represent the club.
  • Options
    Balotelli getting a ticking off this time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30289692

Is this really worthy of a possible FA investigation? Malky Mackay's comments were in a different context, and were offensive. Dave Whelan's defence of Mackay was predictably embarrassing. Are Balotelli's comments worthy of the minimum 5-match ban which he'll apparently receive if the FA does investigate, given that he was trying to promote an anti-racism message?

I don't know the answer, but I don't think it's a healthy society if you are going to punish people for trying to promote a positive message but, at worst, doing it in a slightly misguided way.
  • Options
    Balotelli isn't allowed to tweet but FIFA can fix an entire Word Cup bidding process with next to no protest. Something has gone wrong with football.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Balotelli isn't allowed to tweet but FIFA can fix an entire Word Cup bidding process with next to no protest

We have no evidence to support that accusation!

Because the Russians destroyed it and the Qataris simply refused to hand it over.

• Options
    cant see how the FA cant take action--its a question now of where any sort of line is drawn
  • Options

I'm pretty sure that Ballotelli isn't a racist. He retweeted something without really thinking about what it said and how it could be miscontrued. Silly yes, racist no.

still needs to have the book thrown at him. Zero tolerance policy.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure that Ballotelli isn't a racist. He retweeted something without really thinking about what it said and how it could be miscontrued. Silly yes, racist no.

Seriously? We're punishing people for being stupid now are we?

• Options
    Rizzo said:

* covers head and runs for cover.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rizzo said:

sorry i stabbed some one, i was just being stupid
  • Options
    The football world has finally gone mad imo
  • Options
    @kentaddick Have you seen the picture that he re-tweeted and did you instantly take offence to it, or are you just jumping on the outrage bandwagon?
  • Options
    ahhh yes, "grab coins like a jew". It's just funny banter isn't! It's not a negative stereotype whilst the others are pretty neutral or even positive is it?

Just banter!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

@kentaddick Have you seen the picture that he re-tweeted and did you instantly take offence to it, or are you just jumping on the outrage bandwagon?

ahhh yes, "grab coins like a jew". It's just funny banter isn't! It's not a negative stereotype whilst the others are pretty neutral or even positive is it?

Just banter!

Are you Jewish?
  • Options

Just banter!

Are you Jewish?
    does it matter?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Balotelli getting a ticking off this time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30289692

Is this really worthy of a possible FA investigation? Malky Mackay's comments were in a different context, and were offensive. Dave Whelan's defence of Mackay was predictably embarrassing. Are Balotelli's comments worthy of the minimum 5-match ban which he'll apparently receive if the FA does investigate, given that he was trying to promote an anti-racism message?

I don't know the answer, but I don't think it's a healthy society if you are going to punish people for trying to promote a positive message but, at worst, doing it in a slightly misguided way.

I do not think it is a healthy society when people are not allowed to say what they think. Free speech is only worth anything if it means other people can say things that I and others may find offensive, however stupid we may think they are. This principle is not just some abstract principle. It would protect heretics, such as Christians in Muslim countries, it would protect people who are ahead of their time and yes, it would also protect idiots and racists, but even then it is better to get those ideas out in the open so they can be challenged and ridiculed if necessary. But you either have free speech or you do not, any conditions on it means that it does not exist.