Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dispatches channel 4: British Property Boom

1235»

Comments

• The Russians who have stashed away their stolen Roubles in London property are being encouraged to take it back to Russia cos its running out of money. Putin has given an amnesty on declaring money that should have been declared. So will we see more properties going on the market and an increase in supply at the top end that might stifle price rises? The fall in the Rouble means they would be even richer when it lands in their bank account so could be attractive if they already have to live in Russia.

The stamp duty increase might not deter the uber rich but every little helps in damping down prices. If prices start to fall it's the sort of event that could change sentiment and cause foreign investors to cash in their profits and take their money elsewhere if they think prices are about to drop. You don't need a big prick to burst a bubble.
  • edited December 2014
    seth plum said:

Roll on a property price crash where values halve at the very least.

fully agree ... however this may prevent it ...

seth plum said:

As for a property price crash a la 1990s, well, you can't rule it out but the London boom is being fuelled by the richest people on the planet and their cash is not going to run out anytime soon!

• As a golfer, I can't help but agree. One of the worst things about the game is the, frankly, ridiculous waste of land associated with it. The number of courses in Surrey is obscene - it could easily be cut in half. However, the land is designated greenbelt in most cases, so unavailable for housing.

Surrey councils are starting to clamp down on planning permission for golf courses in the past few years - there's an ongoing row about another needless golf resort being built somewhere near Leatherhead I believe - but it's too little, too late.

This would be the £50m development of press baron Lord Beaverbrook's former home near Leatherhead.

I Would imagine that The Majority of the area's residents are unhappy with another golf course.

Probably create a few hundred jobs, will they be for local people.
  • edited December 2014
    I'm not happy that I already worry about finding my children somewhere to live in London....they're 3 and 5!