Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Star Wars trailer.

Why are there Stormtroopers and Tie Fighters in it? I thought the Empire was defeated.

Comments

• The Empire obviously strikes back - again!
  • Never seen Star Wars. Used to think I was alone in this, but apparently there are millions of us out there. Had all the toys as a kid though. Weird.
  • WayneK said:

Why are there Stormtroopers and Tie Fighters in it? I thought the Empire was defeated.

the rebels won their freedom, yes they defeated the empire, but it was never said to what end.
  • Thank you Jabba. :-)
  • That bloke needs to be careful with that lightsabre. He'll have his own arms off with that silly crosspiece.
  • Rizzo said:

That bloke needs to be careful with that lightsabre. He'll have his own arms off with that silly crosspiece.

A Sith?
  • WayneK said:

I believe that they would have come under the control of the Senate after the emperor was killed.
  • WayneK said:

I believe that they would have come under the control of the Senate after the emperor was killed.
    The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever.

• WayneK said:

They were refounded as The Empire Phoenix Academy.
  • MK Galactic Empire?
  • Sponsored links:

• I love the old Star Wars films, but I had no idea how much of a culture exists around this.
  • It is going to make a lot of money when released - when is that ?

Depending on that date it will also create massive sales of episode 1 to 6 box sets this Christmas
  • December 2015. Just in time for Christmas!
  • edited December 2014
    PL54 said:

It is going to make a lot of money when released - when is that ?

Depending on that date it will also create massive sales of episode 1 to 6 box sets this Christmas

Several movie subscription companies are vying for the rights to show it during that period. Well, two that I'm aware of. Disney want massive shed loads of money though - it's never been 'on demand' before. And Disney are very, very greedy.
    WayneK said:

Rizzo said:

That bloke needs to be careful with that lightsabre. He'll have his own arms off with that silly crosspiece.

A Sith?
    Current rumours are Darth Revan, a 4,000 year old (BY) villain from the 'old republic'. Which fits with his look and potentially ancient light sabre.

I'm skeptical on that as JJ has swept aside the 'expanded universe', and only regards the films, and two animated TV shows as canon. That said, I suspect he cares more about forgetting post-Jedi EU than pre-Phantom Menace. There's a chance he would delve into old backstory, as he did with Star Trek to an extent.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

PL54 said:

Several movie subscription companies are vying for the rights to show it during that period. Well, two that I'm aware of. Disney want massive shed loads of money though - it's never been 'on demand' before. And Disney are very, very greedy.
    WayneK said:

Rizzo said:

A Sith?
    Current rumours are Darth Revan, a 4,000 year old (BY) villain from the 'old republic'. Which fits with his look and potentially ancient light sabre.

I'm skeptical on that as JJ has swept aside the 'expanded universe', and only regards the films, and two animated TV shows as canon. That said, I suspect he cares more about forgetting post-Jedi EU than pre-Phantom Menace. There's a chance he would delve into old backstory, as he did with Star Trek to an extent.
    they also paid a shitload of money for the rights from george lucas, so i dont blame them wanting to get that dollar back.
  • it already looks a zillion times better than 1-3
  • JiMMy 85 said:

PL54 said:

WayneK said:

Rizzo said:

A Sith?

they also paid a shitload of money for the rights from george lucas, so i dont blame them wanting to get that dollar back.
    Sure. And they'll get that from merchandise alone. But from what I've heard, some of their requests have been...unlike any distributor has ever requested before. I've dealt with them enough times to see the mouse ears and think of anything other than princesses and castles.
  • Sponsored links:

• big SW fan and am encouraged by the trailer. Bearing in mind JJ Abrams was a big fan as a kid and is a damn good film maker nowadays, am hoping he has recaptured eps IV, V, VI and not take the journey on in the style of eps I, II, III. Story line rumours tend towards more dark than light - if some of the Marvel movies are anything to go by, happy days...
  • Pavo said:

big SW fan and am encouraged by the trailer. Bearing in mind JJ Abrams was a big fan as a kid and is a damn good film maker nowadays, am hoping he has recaptured eps IV, V, VI and not take the journey on in the style of eps I, II, III. Story line rumours tend towards more dark than light - if some of the Marvel movies are anything to go by, happy days...

Re. Marvel - Kevin Feige lucked out when they got Joss Whedon on board, and Fox's X-Men leans heavily on Bryan Singer's passion. I reckon that's why the SW producers needed JJ so badly.

Meanwhile, DC are relying on Hack Snyder. I swear, Dawn Of Justice is going to be the ultimate turkey. Everything. I hear about that one screams rubbish.
  • razil said:

it already looks a zillion times better than 1-3

So still shit then.

Anyway, with Lucas out of teh picture, I suppose there's at least the chance it may be good.

• 1 aside the other 2 weren't bad, obviously no where near 4-6 but I honestly thought 2 and 3 were ok in their own right. Of course Christensen is pretty shit but if you can get past that I think they are half decent.
  • The thing that amazed me most about the prequels was Lucas' ability to make great actors look terrible!
  • edited December 2014
    Anyone tried the machete order of watching the first 6 (well, 5) films?

Basically 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 - so after the end of Empire, 2 and 3 provide the back story of Darth Vadar before the conclusion of Jedi.

Losing 1 loses nothing!

Want to give it a try when I've next got 11 hours spare!!
  • My real problem with Lucas is that he ruined the originals by messing about with them. Can you buy them without the messing about?

Disney will want to reboot the originals in the next 5 years.
  • Actually that is a fair point about the originals. Fairly sure you can't get the original cinema versions anywhere.
  • colthe3rd said:

Actually that is a fair point about the originals. Fairly sure you can't get the original cinema versions anywhere.

Yeah, I have a boxed set with both the original and remastered versions and I think it says something along the lines of "last chance to buy in their original format".

• Rizzo said:

colthe3rd said:

Actually that is a fair point about the originals. Fairly sure you can't get the original cinema versions anywhere.

Yeah, I have a boxed set with both the original and remastered versions and I think it says something along the lines of "last chance to buy in their original format".

What format?