Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Overheard at Cannon St station

Waiting for my train there are two young ladies in front of me talking about holidays.

"I'm not being funny you're not leaving the country. You're only going to Ireland"

I assume geography isn't her strong point.

Comments

• Went to Ireland and my dad got talking to two Americans who asked if we had gotten there from London via train.

Although this lady doesn't have the excuse of being American..
  • I visited Tasmania a long time ago and remember one of the locals telling me what really pissed him off with tourists was being asked if he'd ever been to Australia.
  • Thought this was going to be another trainspotting thread.
  • I was in Denver, Colorado, and a bloke asked where I was from. When I said "London", he looked puzzled for a moment and asked: "Where's that in relation to Florida?".
  • Overheard at charing cross was this brilliant piece of geographical knowledge

"He said something about the north kent line, is it that black line on the tube? Kent's in North London right?"
  • An acquaintance of mine once said that he fancied going to Jamaica .. 'I've never been to Africa' ... AND .. he was dead serious, most Jamaicans are black, ergo Jamaica is in Africa .. ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

Thought this was going to be another trainspotting thread.

Or an article about the Wetherspoons opening at Cannon Street station next year
  • Groups of women and trains dont mix. My god they dont half talk some poo. Theres about 5 ladies that get on a Bexleyheath, and they always seem to pick my carriage, like they know where i am just to piss me off. Forgot my headphones the other week and had the fortune of listening to what watering can they currently use. 7am this was. I was ready to top myself before we got to Eltham.

Whitefurze are quite decent, but I do like the Apollo's as they are easier to pour the water when you're leaning over a flower bed.
  • I remember being in New York, I was was asked where I lived and I replied "London" to which she said "oh, I know someone lives near there, in Manchester"!! She then went on to say her name in a "do you know her" way...!

I suppose with how vast USA is that Manhester is relatively close to London to be fair!
  • Went to Ireland and my dad got talking to two Americans who asked if we had gotten there from London via train.

So predictable.
  • edited December 2014

I remember being in New York, I was was asked where I lived and I replied "London" to which she said "oh, I know someone lives near there, in Manchester"!! She then went on to say her name in a "do you know her" way...!

I suppose with how vast USA is that Manhester is relatively close to London to be fair!

Had similar in Boston. An American lady was asking us if we knew two other people sitting next to her, they were from Birmingham.
  • Last night on the tube some young bloke said he was planning his holiday for next year but didnt know where to go. he wanted a week somewhere all inclusive to do nothing - he said 'I don't want to go away to learn anything' then said 'I can't go anywhere where you have to fly for more than 3 hours cos I smoke and can't go that long without a fag'

how sad.
  • Last night on the tube some young bloke said he was planning his holiday for next year but didnt know where to go. he wanted a week somewhere all inclusive to do nothing - he said 'I don't want to go away to learn anything' then said 'I can't go anywhere where you have to fly for more than 3 hours cos I smoke and can't go that long without a fag'

how sad.

Presumably, he needs a country where you can smoke in a bar too.
  • Sponsored links:

• mate of mine set off on a business trip to Boston, Lincs in his Vauxhall Astra a few years back.

15 hours later, he landed in Boston, Massachusetts.

still doesn't know how he did it and got in trouble for missing his meeting.
  • limeygent said:

Went to Ireland and my dad got talking to two Americans who asked if we had gotten there from London via train.

So predictable.
    You're right, American stupidity is pretty predictable, I don't know how you deal with it everyday.
  • hawksmoor said:

I was in Florida years ago and had the least likely conversation with a most definitely local, American waiter. It went like this:

'So, were are you guys from?

'London.'

'Yeah, but whereabouts.'

'South London. A place called Lewisham. You wouldn't have heard of it.'

'Sure I have. Have they finished the DLR at Lewisham Station yet?'

I absolutely kid you not. Turns out his son lived in Lewisham. But it's the way he replied. It wasn't, 'Whoah. You're kidding me? What are the chances?' Didn't even sound surprised.

When I travel to the US for work I'm always surprised by how much they actually know about London compared to what the stereotypes would have you believe.

I was getting a coffee before heading into the office in Boston one morning, and I was educating my boss about Charlton and how I watch them home and away etc, when the guy in front hears me talking about Football he says "who are your team?" I replied "Oh, a small team in South East London where I grew up called Charlton."

He then astonished me by saying "Yeah I know Charlton, I remember you used to be in the Premier League and you had Jonathan Spector playing for you".

He then went went on to ask me about what I think about West Ham moving into the OIympic Stadium and winding up Leyton Orient fans!
  • Many moons ago I came across a lady in Newport, Rhode Island and she asked me where I was from. I said London, sensing this was going to go nowhere fast. She asked whereabout? I went to the next scale... oh "in South London" I replied. "Oh whereabouts there?" she continued. Next scale down... a little town quite near Greenwich. Oh yes she replied and I continued by saying "Eltham?". "Oh wow I grew up in Eltham" was her reply. "Which part?" to which I said Spencer Gardens and she said she grew up on Sherard Road. I mean... what were the chances of a random Yank growing up on the road next to where I grew up!?
  • "Oh wow I grew up in Eltham" was her reply. "Which part?" to which I said Spencer Gardens and she said she grew up on Sherard Road. I mean... what were the chances of a random Yank growing up on the road next to where I grew up!?

You probably went to school together then, perhaps your first snog behind the bike sheds .....?

And you don't remember!

• limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Went to Ireland and my dad got talking to two Americans who asked if we had gotten there from London via train.

So predictable.
    You're right, American stupidity is pretty predictable, I don't know how you deal with it everyday.
    There's stupidity everywhere, no more in the US than anywhere else.
    back in 2009 me and my mates stopped off in camden town before heading off to hyde park to go see Blur. Sat next to a north american in the food area where there were benches who turned out to be the head of animation at dreamworks and was on holiday here with his daughter. He knew where kent was and asked if we knew gravesend as he had family there. He's actually Canadian but what the hey, he's spent most of his life in LA and he was extremely polite to a 3 stoned teenagers so I'll use it as a story to defend americans.

There's a lot of americans in the world which obviously means there's more stupid americans as a result.
  • Charlton is more East London than South........