Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality 2014

Comments

• Options
    Didn't realise that the country had so many petrol head fans , personally have no interest in motor sports but thought Lewis Hamilton came across really well
  • Options
    A bit predicatble our vote went to Jo Pavey but I guess Lewis Hamilton was a shoe in really. Can't stand F1 or the anoracks that follow it and was I alone in being totally gobsmacked that his team employ 1200 people? Staggering so at least plenty of people have a job as a result of the sport.

I thought it was a bit flat to be honest don't really like the format much but was hugely impressed by the lady who taught disabled kids to swim totally inspirational. As for Chris Hoy gentleman, legend and all round good guy.
  • Options
    Can't believe Lizzy Yarnald is only 5ft 8"....must have had some heels on her.
  • Options

Once Jimmy was out I turned off.

Saville?
  • Options
    Surprised at how few votes were actually cast.

This used to be a big night when I was younger.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Who on earth decided it was a good idea to go head to head against the X Factor Final?

• Options
    Outrageous that Rory didnt win.
  • Options
    Was anyone else seriously unimpressed by Bale's lack of Spanish, after being there for over a season, his Spanish is as bad as Beckham's!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

red_murph said:

JohnBoyUK said:

MrOneLung said:

Who on earth decided it was a good idea to go head to head against the X Factor Final?

Thought exactly the same thing last night. Absolute madness.

Been married 9 weeks, it nearly broke us up!
    Did she let you watch the x factor?
    I've man love for the boy Haenow. She was all over a bit of Lewis.

Everyone's a winner.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Big_Bob said:

He could have won overseas personality as he has stated he is Irish has he not. Then everyone's a winner.

Jokes aside he is tremendously talented but with two runner up spots (one versus coke head Calzaghe) nobody can say Lewis hasn't done his time. Lewis was also able to dispel the myth that he isn't a decent chap by coming across so well at the end.

Golf as a sport did itself no favours last night on Twitter. Westwood, Poulter, Donald and various Golfing bodies and publications were vicious in defeat and took it out on Lewis in some cases. Laughable.

One of them said something along the lines of "anyone can drive a formula one car".

Yeah right.
  • Options

Big_Bob said:

Golf as a sport did itself no favours last night on Twitter. Westwood, Poulter, Donald and various Golfing bodies and publications were vicious in defeat and took it out on Lewis in some cases. Laughable.

One of them said something along the lines of "anyone can drive a formula one car".

Yeah right.
    Anyone can hit a golfball too but keeping it on the track...
    Rory should have got the overseas award as he wants to be Irish and waited for his nomination in the RTE version when he could have battled it out against some gaelic footballer.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Blimey - now a certain Mr Joseph Barton has piled in on Twitter. Calling Lewis Hamilton an appalling role model for not living in the UK.

Yes - that's coming from a racist, dirty, assaulting scumbag.

I have no problem with the tax thing (Mcilroy has his registered address in Florida) and Lewis spends 90pc of the year working abroad. If I was in his shoes, I would keep as much of my 50pc I would lose to myself thank you very much.

God Barton is such a scummy chavvy pleb.
  • Options
    Paddy Power quote of the day

'when you break it down, Lewis Hamilton drives a car around, while I try to get a ball in a little hole with a stick. Can we clearly say that one is more deserving of an award than another?.
    Yes, yes of course we f*cking can, my nan can drive a car, but I don't see her finishing 17 under par at the open championship'

Rory McIlroy
  • Options

Paddy Power quote of the day

'when you break it down, Lewis Hamilton drives a car around, while I try to get a ball in a little hole with a stick. Can we clearly say that one is more deserving of an award than another?.
    Yes, yes of course we f*cking can, my nan can drive a car, but I don't see her finishing 17 under par at the open championship'

Rory McIlroy

My nan can hold a golf club and can swing and hit a ball (well she could when she was alive), but I don't see her taking Eau Rouge flat at 200mph flat.

Fixed ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    These which sports are harder discussions are so pointless.

Hamilton would likely never beat McIlroy at a round of golf, no matter how much he practised and vice versa, McIlroy would probably never be able to beat Hamilton in a motor race.

Formula One drivers are at the pinnacle of their profession and you need special skills, that are true of a lot of other sports, to be able to drive a formula one car fast:

a) fearless,
    b) fantastic reactions,
    c) intense and sustained concentration,
    d) a natural sense/instinct for what you are doing - in this case how the car is behaving as felt through the seat of your pants,
    f) cool under pressure
    e) you have to be very fit as you are subject to extreme and ever shifting g-force and often extreme temperatures - it's no coincidence that a lot of the drivers compete in triathlons in their spare time. Jenson Button was considering quitting motor sport to compete in the world triathlons at one point before his contract at McLaren was renewed because he's already at that kind of fitness level.

Yes the car affects you ability to win but so can the technology within your choice of clubs in golf. How good the midfield in your team is can affect how many goals a striker scores - would the likes of Henry have scored so many playing for Charlton in front of Bryan Hughes and Matt Holland? Probably not, but in football the cream tends to rise to the top and gets to play in the same teams as the other best players. Same in Formula One, the best drivers drive the best cars and there have been plenty of examples of decent drivers in good cars who have not been able to win as many races as they could have given the vehicle they were driving.

Lewis got the job done this year and is a World Champion so is just as worthy of the award as anyone else. What he does is certainly nothing like driving a Ford Focus a bit faster than usual to try and get Tesco before it shuts.
  • Options

Hamilton would likely never beat McIlroy at a round of golf, no matter how much he practised and vice versa, McIlroy would probably never be able to beat Hamilton in a motor race.

Formula One drivers are at the pinnacle of their profession and you need special skills, that are true of a lot of other sports, to be able to drive a formula one car fast:

a) fearless,
    b) fantastic reactions,
    d) a natural sense/instinct for what you are doing - in this case how the car is behaving as felt through the seat of your pants,
    f) cool under pressure
    e) you have to be very fit as you are subject to extreme and ever shifting g-force and often extreme temperatures - it's no coincidence that a lot of the drivers compete in triathlons in their spare time. Jenson Button was considering quitting motor sport to compete in the world triathlons at one point before his contract at McLaren was renewed because he's already at that kind of fitness level.

Yes the car affects you ability to win but so can the technology within your choice of clubs in golf. How good the midfield in your team is can affect how many goals a striker scores - would the likes of Henry have scored so many playing for Charlton in front of Bryan Hughes and Matt Holland? Probably not, but in football the cream tends to rise to the top and gets to play in the same teams as the other best players. Same in Formula One, the best drivers drive the best cars and there have been plenty of examples of decent drivers in good cars who have not been able to win as many races as they could have given the vehicle they were driving.

Lewis got the job done this year and is a World Champion so is just as worthy of the award as anyone else. What he does is certainly nothing like driving a Ford Focus a bit faster than usual to try and get Tesco before it shuts.

He won a race of two.

Not even close to some of the other sporting achievements this year.
  • Options
    As opposed to won a tournament or two?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

As opposed to won a tournament or two?

Winning "a tournament of two" is different to winning "a tournament or two"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

a) fearless,
    b) fantastic reactions,
    f) cool under pressure

He won a race of two.

Not even close to some of the other sporting achievements this year.
    No, he was the star man in a team which beat a field of 10 other teams.

• Options
    Lewis Hamilton is as A list as they come in terms of Brits on the world stage. Doesn't matter if you are in the middle of Africa, South America or Asia. In a cosmopolitan city talking to a young woman in Europe or a small town in the Usa talking to an old man.

People will know who Lewis Hamilton is and that is worth so much to our nation globally. He is worth his weight in gold.

With Andy Murray on the wane, I would argue that only Gareth Bale and Wayne Rooney come close. And they are not appearing on the big US chat shows.

Rory Mcilroy wouldn't be on the same level. Hell - my 85 yr old great Aunt in Bexley knows who Lewis Hamilton is but has never heard of Rory Mcilory.

Probably goes some way to answering why in this age of digital voting he was never going to win something like SPOTY.

Lewis Hamilton has proven himself as a great in Formula One over 7 years and a great in the wider field of Motorsport over a much longer period. He has earned this.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    McIlroy should've won it. The Open, PGA Championship and Ryder Cup victories. The golfing equivalent of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League.

Not knocking Hamilton's achievement, he's obviously one of the best at what he does but IMO you can never properly recognise the achievements of drivers in modern F1 due to the fact that whoever has the best car wins.

Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    When all is said and done, although opinions are being raised here, does anyone really care anymore?
    Haven't people been saying it's farcical for years now?
    I don't see that it really matters.
  • Options
    So all those upset that Rory lost, did you vote for him? If not, then you can't really moan...
  • Options
    dancafc Member
    December 14
    I must have missed it but when did Ron noades die

Quite recently, a Funeral Director told me as we arrived at a Hotel he had owned, that they had conducted the funeral. I would imagine that the food they served at his wake was a hell of a lot better than what we were served.
  • Options

Lewis Hamilton is as A list as they come in terms of Brits on the world stage. Doesn't matter if you are in the middle of Africa, South America or Asia. In a cosmopolitan city talking to a young woman in Europe or a small town in the Usa talking to an old man.

People will know who Lewis Hamilton is and that is worth so much to our nation globally. He is worth his weight in gold.

With Andy Murray on the wane, I would argue that only Gareth Bale and Wayne Rooney come close. And they are not appearing on the big US chat shows.

Rory Mcilroy wouldn't be on the same level. Hell - my 85 yr old great Aunt in Bexley knows who Lewis Hamilton is but has never heard of Rory Mcilory.

Probably goes some way to answering why in this age of digital voting he was never going to win something like SPOTY.

Lewis Hamilton has proven himself as a great in Formula One over 7 years and a great in the wider field of Motorsport over a much longer period. He has earned this.

Just to put a British slant on that argument. I am a fan of neither of these sports - I don't watch either of them as they do nothing for me personally. I'm sure that both men have got their skills and their qualities. I'm sure that both men have worked hard to achieve their successes, but one man's achievements stand out as greater than the other's to me. If you were to ask me what McIlroy has achieved the best I could do was say that he must have won a few golf matches. I couldn't tell you what competitions, I couldn't tell you who against or in what conditions. If you were to ask what Hamilton had achieved I could tell you about him winning the F1 Drivers Championship, I could tell you about him being the lead driver for Mercedes who won the Constructors Championship and about the battle against 'teammate' Rosburg. I also know that Hamilton won several races despite not being in pole position including the ultimate race. I don't know this stuff because I have an interest in it, but because it's just so hard to avoid. Are their any lifers out there with the opposite perspective who despite being disinterested are aware of McIlroy's achievements, but not Hamilton's? I bet not.

Anyway, from what I've read on this thread. If McIlroy's post-defeat antics in this poll are to be believed (I have no reason to disbelieve), the crassness of his public statements would surely be enough to preclude him from any contest that had the word 'personality' in the title.
  • Options
    TBF I think the nasty statements post defeat have been from the golfing community rather than McIlroy himself who was pretty magnanimous.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is trying to knock Hamilton's achievements, which are obviously fantastic, but Rory had a year that is nigh on unbeatable in golf. He won 2 majors, is world number 1 and played a major part in winning the Ryder Cup for Europe. There's barely any room to improve on that as far as golf is concerned, so I think the golf community reacted the way they did because if Rory doesn't win the top prize after a year like that, how on earth is anyone from golf ever going to win it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

...how on earth is anyone from golf ever going to win it.

Dare I put the cat amongst the pigeons here but surely there's an argument as to whether Golf is actually a sport? Its a game really isnt it? Same for Snooker, Pool and Darts.

I'm not saying thats right or wrong, just putting that out there. What would define the difference between a sport and a game?

(EDIT - having just googled, the difference is physical activity, so there's no argument! Perhaps Rory should have won it after all!)